wild carp

Guest zorba

Guest Nightwing

Do you folks see any difference in fry survival between "wild" waters, and manged fisheries? I only ask, because we have no managed fisheries here(our access laws preclude it, as do our environmental policy laws), so no local comparison is possible.

Most waters here have large pred. populations, yet, fry survive in sufficient numbers to produce new generations most years. Also, even in oligotrophic and mesotrophic lakes,(both cold, low fertility waters) they survive our often frighteningly cold winters. I get the impresion that your managed lakes at least are usualy very fertile, so it's hard to believe that there is insufficient food for the fry. I wonder if it is a lack of predators, instead of an overabundance of such, that actualy is part of the problem.(no preds= too many fry= starvation and general sicklyness).

Our lakes abound with predators of all sizes, which target carp from birth to at least 5lbs, and so in most lakes there is a good balance of fish, with good growth(fewer, larger carp).

Interesting thread here.

Guest Steve Burke

Good point, Nightwing. What's important is the amount of food per pound of fish. One of the problems on most of our waters is that they contain a lot of species related to carp (i.e. rough fish) that compete for the same food.

That's one difference at Wingham as the Carp Lake contains just carp, a few pike and the odd eel. It's also understocked compared with many UK waters. In fact, many of our waters are grossly overstocked and thus their fish have to rely on anglers' baits for food.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest peter mccue

Nightwing, Steve's right its so difficult to gain a good comparison over here because of the lack of truly wild waters with natural populations.

This may come as a surprise to you but where I live in the N.E. I honestly couldn't come up with a stillwater that had a naturally governed population of fish, shocking isn't it!

I then thought about our rivers, which was a little better, but still very few with fish populations that are not manipulated in some way or other, in order to give them unnatural densities of fish.

Also our waters suffer from chemical imbalances brought on by farming & general human population problems. This affects fry survival as well.

In the light of this, its difficult to see how we, on our small island, can make accurate comparisons of fry survival between natural & artificial fish populations.

Sad really.

Originally posted by zorba:

Thanks for all your replys.

Zorba.

( still a bit confused!! )

Zorba,

When I'm confused, I usually find that a picture of some Ford Capri wheel nuts helps tongue.gif

pete_salmon_2.JPG

Guest mpbdsnu
Originally posted by Elton:

Zorba,

When I'm confused, I usually find that a picture of some Ford Capri wheel nuts helps tongue.gif [uNQUOTE]

They are just as good as Mitsubishi any day!! LOLOLOLOL biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mpbdsnu (edited 10 February 2002).]

I beleive that an old carp record - 28lb caught from Priory Park in Southend - was a "wildie" - 30 years ago Priory Park was well known for holding wildies.

I fished a lake in Essex which held what I thought were original wildies - torpedo-shaped, large-tailed bundles of power. Biggest I had was about 7.5lb - but I'm sure there were bigger in the lake. However, with a huge amount of old, well-established lillies, the chances of getting a big wildie out was very remote. Until you hook one of these fish you can't beleive that something so small can be so powerful and quick - and the bigger fish are just as quick but with more power.....

Originally posted by zorba:

How big do wild carp grow? I've just been told by a member of our club that the record carp of around 26lb is a wild carp. I know that most of the carp in the lake are wild carp but i got the impression that wild carp only went too about 12-13lb. Maybe I'm mistaken but a 26lb wild carp is like saying that someone could catch a 10lb roach.

Does anybody know?

Thanks

Zorba