Perfect Day

Guest Elton

Interesting, the difference in responses in the "What's Worse" thread.

My perfect day, in an ideal world, would be this:

Wake up to one of those hazy mornings that I remember as a kid. Although it's hazy, I just know that it's going to be hot. I always remember those mornings. I used to spend my holidays at my grandparents and we used to go to the seaside. Every night, we'd go to bed excited. I'd read my dad's "Tiger" annuals to get me to sleep. The mornings just don't happen like that any more.

The daytime would be hot, but short. I'd probably sleep then. God forbid, I might even have a beer before nodding off.

The evening would be long and drawn out. The sun would take all day to set (hey, I did say that it was an ideal world!) and fish would be topping all over the place. Birds would be circling, the flock getting bigger and bigger each time. There'd be no mosquitos. Rosie Barham would be there to cook tea biggrin.gif

The night would be still, the sky clear and the stars bright. I'd be somewhere quiet, so that every noise could be heard. I'd have my carp rods out on their buzzers, but also a float rod with a starlight glowing brightly in the margins.

I need to get out more biggrin.gif

Elton

Guest Wordbender

'Perfect day', ay?

Well, I'd be sitting in my bivvy watching the first streaks of violet-blue lighten the morning sky, and drinking a mug of sweet tea from my grandstand view of a spectacular, late summer dawn.

A kingfisher would preen himself on my rods for an hour, making the Delkims warble as he leaves, skimming over to Rosie's bivvy to show her, for the first time, how stunning a creature he is.

Then, my reverie would be gently broken by Rosie squawking "Tel! I just sin' a KINGFISHER!!! And you've got to come and see, Elton's fallen in again and Single Tone and Gaffer can't help him out for laughing!"

After a Barham'ian breakfast and an early morning beer - it's a precious ritual that Tone and I observe to prove that fishing days are 'different' - we'd all adjourn to my bivvy where I'd (reluctantly rolleyes.gif ) re-tell the whole story of the 40-pound common I'd caught the night before.

Hours of wildlife-watching would follow, until my heroic digestive system could make room for one of Rosie's pasta perfections, enhanced with a shared bottle of Chateau Margaux '53, and a vintage port finale.

A power-snooze would set me up for some serious angling as afternoon turns to eventide - except, for me, 'angling' and 'serious' are oxymoronic, so I'd carry on as normal, a half-smile playing on my carp-idiot's happy face.

The sun would set in a blaze of silent, stratospheric fireworks, and the Good Lord would be so flattered by our appreciation, that he'd do three encores, just for us.

After talking, laughing and re-discovering why we do what we do, and are what we are, it'd be time to turn in and enjoy a mozzie-free slumber, broken only by my capture of the largest carp in the lake, and the subsequent arrival of my sons to see the photos being done and volunteer to pack away all my stuff.

Yep - that'll do for me. wink.gif

Terry

Guest happychef

waking up come rain,shine or whatever,going to the front door,finding a letter on the mat,opening it and finding the £5.00 ferret owes me for the P&P on a web cam i sold him !

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest piscary

Elton and Terry!

I'm seriously touched (but you knew that already) that you should include me in your perfect days out - even though it does sound as if I'm there to do the cooking smile.gif

Let me know when you're likely to have these wondrous weekends. I wouldn't miss 'em for all the chocolate in the world.

Rosie x

going to an exam in the morning(it gets better honest)arriving home no wife ,oh might as well pop down the lake.arrive to see a very large fish jump clear.walk round to where it was,set up, cast out,turn to pick up second rod,only to hear the alarm scream off.10 mins later land 24lb of lovely mirror.total fishing time about 30 mins.excellent day but i've already done it so now got to go one better.any ideas?cheers big al

Guest chicken jimmers

Tel,

Surely the perfect end for your perfect day is when your two fave sons turn up in need of something?!

Rosie's sausage rolls are definitely in there somewhere!

Jimmers

Guest Chris Shaw

Arrive at the lake just before dawn, sunrise starts to begin, rush lined banks, lily pad filled margins, no swims cutout for bivvies etc, lake surface calm expect for bubbles from feeding fish, and the odd fish rise, mist rising from the water.

Cast the freelined baits to the edge of the pads, place indicators online (no buzzers), sitdown, pour tea and sitback and watch the day start to unfold.

I can rememeber fishing waters like that.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 17 January 2002).]

Guest Wordbender
Originally posted by chicken jimmers:

Tel,

Surely the perfect end for your perfect day is when your two fave sons turn up in need of something?!

Yes, Jim, you and Dave were included in the 'sons' bit. rolleyes.gif

Anyway - I was thinking of my syndicate lake, and you know you can't fish there!!!! wink.gif

Terry