How Long For Baits?

Guest Elton

How long do you leave baits out for?

Is it that you reel in to have fresh baits, or because you wonder whether your bait might be in the wrong place? Does this timescale alter through the year?

Elton

Guest biteless1

if im happy with where i put the hook then i,ll leave it till i get a bite or go home, but if im tryin to find the fish with a roving rod every couple of hour.

also it depends what hook bait im using, boilie, trout pellet, corn or maize etc.

sometimes i feel that carp need time to feel your trap is safe and moving it about in a small area will just confuse and scare them.

Guest Steve Burke

If I'm fishing a swim I'm not familiar with I'll always experiment and move the bait every couple of hours. I find this an excellent way of learning about a swim and finding the hotspots. It's amazing what a difference even a yard can make!

In a swim where I've already established where the hotspots are I may leave the bait for the whole day - unless of course I get a take.

One thing I try not to do though, especially when fishing at close range, is to move a bait in the middle of a feeding spell. I reckon the fish are more likely to be spooked then.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest mpbdsnu

I'm with Steve on this one - If I'm unfamiliar with the water, then I'll try a few different spots - ie patrol routes, plataues(sp), gravel bars and so on, and so tend to move every hour or so. If i know the water reasonably well I'm more confident and thus leave the bait out for longer.

If I am confident in the bait I'm using and how I've presented it is right for the lake/conditions, then I'll leave it out indefinately.

The above is for when I'm using boilies as a hookbait, if I'm not doing any good on them, I will try meat or corn, and then obviously I'll not leave the bait out for very long for the simple reason it probably won't be on the hook/hair for very long biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mpbdsnu (edited 27 November 2001).]

Guest RobStubbs

I will generally leave a bait out 24 hours although I have left a bait 48 hours. Probably like 95% of people I bait up just before dark as the main feeding spell is in the night or the very early hours of the morning (on the water I normally fish). However fish also feed all the way through to midday, just not as often so I'd rather not disturb the spots.

Rob.

have you ever fished a water and cast your bait perfectly to the mark. you know that a good few big fish have come from there, then i myself have left bait in these situations for over 40hrs. and caught fish other times no fish. personaly i think that if you know you have got it right you will leave the bait there.how many hours is hard to say....

Guest Chris Shaw

How long to leave baits out???

Good question, I can recall reading an article regarding this some years ago, I will try and recall what.

A group of carp anglers where fishing a water using I think lemon flavour as an attractant/label, they found that it fished quite well but the runs never came until the baits had been out for a few hours. As some people even find today, from what I read anyway.

They then after some discussion wondered if the reason for this, was in the fact that when the baits have been out several hours, the attractants became washed out.

They put some baits in jars of lake water and left them to soak for the same time as they would in the water before they would a get run. On casting these washed out baits out they found that they did not have to wait quite so long for the runs to start.

Going down this line they then decided to lower the flavour/label levels from the start. When thses baits where cast out they worked the same as a washed out bait, they did not have to wait for hours and hours for runs to start.

Now think about his for a minute, how many long session anglers on arrival, setup everything, then proceed to fill the place in with kilo's of bait, they then cast out and retire to the bivvy for a few days leaving the baits out, after all these hours they start catching and catch well more times than not.

Think of the accumulative effect of the flavour/label levels with all that bait out on the bottom.

As most of you know this can work in reverse, I know I have seen it with flavour/label levels that you can smell from the other bank. I had a mate years ago when we used to fish Brooklands in Kent, you knew if he was there even in the dark and had not seen him, with the smell of roses and violets wafting across the pit. His baits worked from the off and kept working.

What this comes down to is in the fact that different flavours/labels work at different levels, finding that optimum level can be a real pain unless you have alot of time on your hands to experiment.

So if you are waiting several days for a run, then try lowering your flavour/label levels on one or maybe two rods and put a higher level bait in on the last rod. Chuck them all more or less into the same area and see what one produces the quickest. Low is better as high can catch you lots of fish quick and then the bait will blow because of those high levels, that is if the high levels works at all, some do not.

Short term sessions, you can only get out now and again = High levels can be best if it is a flavour that works at high levels.

Long term sessions:- Can fish many hours a week and want to keep a bait going and well accepted = Low levels

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 29 November 2001).]

What a question!!

Errm..If i'm honest wink.gif i change them every 8hrs!

As Rob has said i'll try and be baited up fresh prior to a feeding spell, (on my local water in the evening, just after midnight and first thing in the morning. not alot of sleeping for me!!).

One thing i do like to keep my flavour levels low and include an essential oil and/or a powder flavour. I believe these give your bait really good and consistant long term flavour/taste. This way if i need to i'm happy to leave an unchanged bait amongst feeding fish for probly upto 24hrs.

makes me sound like a novice, but I'm a paranoid angler and figure 24hrs is a long time to sit behind a tangled or snagged rig wink.gif Also my local lake is really dirty and silty. Sometimes if you land on a patch of silt you can reel in after 10 minutes and your bait is black and smells of silt, there goes Mr Confident!

Bretty

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 29 November 2001).]