Good Baitrunners

Sven1883

no no and thrice no

"Erik you forgot to add the following big pit traits - weigh twice as much"

standard emblems weigh virtually the same as a baitrunner (less then 100g more)

"free spool conversions are crap"

agree they are crap, however a free spool system is unnecessary gimmick anyway once you get used to using the clutch.

"totally unsuitable for anything else other than the job they were intended for."

Not true. They are suitable for all types of carp fishing, i even use one on the stalking rod (despite having spare shimano baitrunners gathering dust). Also more versatile as more usable at range when necessary.

- Due to increased surface area the clutch is smoother and more progressive.

- Faster retrieve means easier and faster spodding and marking. due to the crappy retrieve rate spodding with baitrunners is a nightmare.

Undoubtedly in my mind a better all round carp fishing reel, which is why most (obviously a few exceptions) serious carp anglers use 'em.

[ 27. August 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: erik ]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you get a decent reel with a shimano but you ARE paying for the name and well over the odds for what you actually get. Okuma now give a 5 year guarantee with their baitrunners. Shimano give you 6 months ? For a reel at that price thats a joke.

I also have a silstar baitfeeder that has done all asked of it for 5 yrs now , including piking.

You pays for what you get....to an extent.

"Undoubtedly in my mind a better all round carp fishing reel, which is why most (obviously a few exceptions) serious carp anglers use 'em."

Not the pose factor then?

A 13'3 1/4lb TC Fast taper distance stick casts a long way to but would you advocate that as the standard carp rod?

Do agree that the free spool isnt essential (for carp any way)but if you wish to use a free spool set up then I really dont rate the slack clutch and tighten to strike method.Seen a lot of fish lost whilst people flaff around with the drag

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

funny enough whhilst piking lst year,i had the oppertunity to put a third rod out(it was october and carp were crashing everywhere!) so i did,but i only had my spare reel(no freespool) so i set up a lead put it out got a run and landed a 16lb common saved a blank!

but before casting i set the cluth lightly,but only enough so that a couple o cliks and i was back in buissness,worked for me several times.i can see people faffing around tho.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

"Not the pose factor then?"

nah, that's mainly the instant tart types, cheapy emblems are hardly tarty. (i'm an anti tart anyway, prefer the battered used gear look )

"A 13'3 1/4lb TC Fast taper distance stick casts a long way to but would you advocate that as the standard carp rod?"

no totally unsuitable, personally use 2 1/2lb tc rods, will argue for hours about the unsuitablity of 3lb+ fast taper rods for all round fishing.

Think the faffing as with anything is inexperience, 'twould be the same if you only ever drove an automatic and started driving a manual, you'd be faffing with the gears until you got used to it.

basically not saying baitrunners are crap but in my own experience find the cheap big pits like emblems give you a more robust, reliable, and versatile reel for the money.

Ratty46 - nah sadly not, keep em hanging around for taking beginners etc.

Sven1883:

Now then I'm pretty new to Carping and recently bought some baitrunners Leeda Freespin 2XL cheap ones for about £20 and quite frankly they are crap.

The anti-reverse has gone on one and the bait runner drag has gone on the other.

Since trying to find a replacement for them I have been faced with reels in nearing a £100 and was only looking to spend about £50.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sven

Not read the rest of the replies so i may be repeating something, however one thing comes to mind. If you bought the reels "Recently" Why the hell have you not taken the ruddy things back?? I sell baitrunners (and these include Mitchells- sorry Leedas!!) and if anyone had a duff reel I would hope they would fetch it back!! I know I would certainly contact Mitchell for a replacement myself!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i myself use diawa infinty x 5500br and these are by far the best reels i have ever used. the reason i bought them was so that i can fish any circumstances and more importantly is that i could afford them at the time.

leslies of luton will do you an interest free cheque spread over 9 months so a pair of shimano 8000 gte should be well withing your budjet. i think they are around £80 each and are indeed fine reels. (can you afford £17.77 a month for 9 months?) i used them for a few years and still use one on my slim rod. 300 or so yards of 15 lb line should cover the majority if not all of what you want to do.

i can give you no input whatsover on the okuma reels as i have never used them, however, they seem to have a reasonable name within fishing circles although within carp fishing they are not expensive enough to earn you brownie points lol.

the one thing to remember is that the better your eqipment the longer it should last, however, it wont put you more fish on the bank