Line Strength

Elton

I'm looking with interest how Singy is getting on with Power Pro at Wingham. Several members have tried other brands of braid at Wingham. All have abandoned them due to cut offs from the sharp gravel bars. This is because braids have vastly inferior abrasion resistane compared with nylon. I was thinking about banning braided main lines for this reason, but maybe the latest ones are more durable.

I've never tried Power Pro myself, but have field tested Nashy's Bullet Braid this winter/spring for lure fishing. It's the first braid that I haven't had to replace during a pike season, and I'm very impressed. I've written a review which I'll be sending to Elton very shortly.

Whether Bullet Braid will be suitable for carp fishing at Wingham I don't know, but I'm not prepared to chance it. I'll continue using my 15lb Pro Gold nylon.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I’ve been so impressed with pro-gold that I’ve not really tried anything else - I find the 12lb 0.355mm diameter copes with everything I can throw at it (or should that be ‘throw it at’!).

In conjunction with a good leader it copes with snags, weed, and pads with ease – and I can’t remember the last time I had a snap off.

Just lately I’ve also been trying Specialty Filaments Top Line, a recent product into the UK market, which benefits from increased BS and lower line diameter. I’ve been using the 16.4lb in 0.30mm diameter – and whilst it’s still early days, I’ve been impressed.

The reduction in diameter aids casting, and having had a spirited battle with a scraper 20 at the weekend which took me through several sets of pads and weeded me twice, I can say it certainly seems up to the job – it seemed to put me in touch with the fish very well during the scrap, which I guess is again down to the reduction in diameter.

Has anybody used the Pro-clear from the Eustace stable?

Cheers,

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I think the main problem with braid having inferior abrasion resistance to mono is people were originally using matching breaking strains to their mono. 12lb braid will have a diameter like 3lb mono and abrasion resistance to match.

yesterday I had 2 fish, a 20 and a 19, both led me a merry dance and the 19 had me 5f eet in a reed bed, then into the branches of 2 willows. I eventually landed the fish (along with 1/2 a tree) and the braid was completely undamaged.

These new spectra braids (PowerPro, spiderwire) are a completlely kettle of fish

Paul Singleton

I'd agree with you up to a point there, Singy. However, all my own comparisons have been with similar diameters, albeit when lure fishing.

All the braids I've tried to date, whilst having a higher straight breaking strain, have had inferior abrasion resistance to mono of the same diameter.

The only one that's lasted has been Bullet Braid, whilst Spiderwire I had to replace very quickly. Power Pro I haven't yet tried, but hopefully Rob will send me some to field test in a small diameter for my perch fishing this winter.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

the cheapest ,largest spool i can find ,who gives a toss who`s name is on it :D 10lb for carp 15 for pike

[ 05 July 2002, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Steve - I think you will be happy with the powerpro if rocks are all you have to deal with - even sharp rocks. For me it holds up much better than mono or other braids.

And if you will email me your postal address, I will send you some 10lb & 20lb b/s powerpro. I have a couple of partial spools of both that aren't long enough for me to completely spool up another reel but should be plenty fine for a reel with plenty of backing so you can at least test them.

BTW - both weights break at quite a bit higher than the rated b/s. When I get snagged, I can usually pull loose and bring in a lure/rig with a hook that went straight (or occasionally I bring in the entire snag).

I wanted to send you along some kahle hooks anyway.

I really think you will like the line when compared to other braids. Much smoother surface and harder even though the line is nicely limp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Many thanks indeed, Newt. My address is 20 Downs Way, Sellindge, Ashford, Kent, TN25 6EZ.

Got it Steve. Should be able to have something out in the mail within a week or so.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers, Newt, I look forward to trying it.