Line Strength

Elton

I have always like fire line, for the extended casting distance and relatively good abbrasion resistance for a super line.

I am, however, using Berkly Iron Silk more often now, because the abbrasion resistance is nothing short of stunning.

It casts very well also, as good as any other mono I have tried.

Awesome stuff, makes other mono or nylon line obsolete.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julian:

Has anybody used the Pro-clear from the Eustace stable?

Cheers,

Julian

First of all to all you guys that use 15IB line for Carp.....I think your all bloody mad!! :) . I don't mean this in a nasty way..I just think it's totally over the top unless your fishing next to a fallen tree.

Maybe it is the quality of rear drag reels in this country or the fact you guys are using 3IB Test Curve poker sticks which offer no cushion.

Anyway, I understand.. each to their own.

ProClear..

Yes, I have used it in 10IB. It is extremely thin for it's rated strength. This 10IB is rated at 0.26 and that's pretty acurate. Holding my 8IB Progold and 10IB ProClear into the light, they look very similar diameter, and ProGold is pretty thin for its strength anyway.

As for the abbrasion resistance 'thing'. Who knows...would have to set up a proper test. I would stick my neck out and say the ProClear knots better, but then I could have tied better knots?

It's all irrelavent to me anyway because I feel 'white' lines are at a disadvantage. I much prefer the colour of the ProGold and that is why I use it.

I bought some Shimano Catane in 8IB..this stuff is like rope. An 'unofficial test' rated it at an average strain of 14.13IB. I should think so..it feels like 12-14IB line. I like the colour of it, not as good as ProGold colour but not far off... but it's just too thick for me. 10IB ProClear is miles thinner than this 8IB 'stuff'.

Crikey, lines differ so much.

barblesss:

First of all to all you guys that use 15IB line for Carp.....I think your all bloody mad!! :) . I don't mean this in a nasty way..I just think it's totally over the top unless your fishing next to a fallen tree.

Maybe it is the quality of rear drag reels in this country or the fact you guys are using 3IB Test Curve poker sticks which offer no cushion.

Anyway, I understand.. each to their own.

barbless - help me out here.

I can understand being forced into using very light lines at times by circumstances. In my case, if I'm tossing 1/16oz lures on a very light rod, I have to scale the line way down. Same when the fish are very shy and inactive - but again with lures.

For any sort of bottom, bait fishing, I don't take your point though. It seems to me that using a heavier line (as long as the diameter wasn't too great) would be an excellent idea. Remove one possible point-of-failure and greatly reduce the chances of a crack-off when casting or a fish breaking the mainline and swimming around with a bunch of line trailing.

It would seem to me that using the heaviest line that will work well with the rod/reel/rig/conditions you were fishing is the way to go. More "fish friendly" as it were.

It is obvious from your post that you don't agree with this though and I'm very curious to find out exactly why. I know from previous posts you are an experienced angler and not any sort of nut case so you gotta have reasons. I just can't for the life of me figure out what they are.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

Fair point..maybe a slightly blinkered view/post on my part, as there are pro's and conns. It's not that I agree or disagree though.

As you say, for extreme casting with 3IB 'poker sticks', the break off risk is there, and using line as strong as 15IB could be necessary. Also for beginners to the sport it would be ignorant to say 'over strength line is dumb'.

The only safety issue could be if you got 'cut' by a snag, the Carp would never be able to break free with 15IB line, unless it tore it's mouth. With 10IB line it would have a better chance.

So why do i prefer as light line as possible?..

When I surface fish for carp, I often see the old, experienced carp reject/spit the bait as they close their mouths over the bait and lips make contact with the line...they feel the line and bolt. I've watched many big Carp do this and with this in mind I try use as light line as I can.

So, I believe heavier line is a disadvantage, surface or bottom...unless you are using a hair/bolt rig of course.

Another thought that comes to my mind is the 'fun' aspect. I woudn't have fun hooking a carp on 15IB line....it's too predictable..you can't lose. I want to play my fish on the drag, and cushion their runs with my Rod. Some might frown, some might understand. Horses for Courses I guess.

Maybe my view stems from the OTT gear in the carp trade which I can't stand (yep, who cares what I think :) ).... Big pit reels which weigh a bloody tonn, bloody great, stiff poles, and 15-20 IB rope, with a 5 ounze lead attached, and a size 4 hook!! BLIMEY!!

Anyone would think 'Great White's ' are swimming in these lakes! :D

But yep, fair point, especially for inexperienced anglers.

[ 19 July 2002, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: barblesss ]

its not just the breaking strain full stop ,my through action 2lb tc just dont like 15lb line ,in having to "push it" to get the same distance as 10lb the chances of a crack off heighten ,when i pike fish i use 15lb on 3lb tc rods ,this is needed to cast dead baits etc ,i have never used a weight over 1 oz whilst carping and rarely cast more than 50yds ,if i used my pike rods and say 2oz weights ,i`d be forever caught in trees on the other side of the pond :D a balanced outfit is the idea ,and suited to the conditions its used in ,line strenght is not the be all and end all :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Simon - I should think a 10lb line is fine provided

You are fishing fairly open water w/o lots of snags, weed, and such.

You are fishing a rig whose total weight isn't too high leading to a possible break-off while casting. Even then, you could go with a shock leader (heavier line at the terminal end that is twice your rod length plus enough to take an additional 6 or 8 turns around the reel.

Your rod has some spring/give/flex to it.

You don't expect carp of over 50lbs on a routine basis.

My fishing is done where I always have to deal with snags (many that are completely hidden on the bottom), never have any idea what size fish I might get, and have a fair chance of hooking into a large catfish. Also, the fish I target have mostly never seen a hook so are not at all shy or spooky.

I was mostly taking a slight jab at barbless. :D

If 10lb line suits your gear and conditions, by all means use 10lb.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I would continue to use 15lb bs if you are using bolt rigs and heavy weights. I use 5lb bs myself but over here 20lb fish are rareas we only have had a viable stock of carp for 10 years. Most of my carp are caught by stalking them with floaters on a basic freeline rig but I have landed carp to 15lb on the 5lb bs with no problems even amongst willows. I do however wear chest waders to allow me to get in front of the snags if need be. My main concern would be the fish not getting tied on a snag on heavy line as I have released a couple from the willows at a lake I fish, when the anglers should have waded IN THEMSELVES when the fish became snagged in 3ft water! but they just broke off and left them there. These anglers are using boltrigs etc. so should know better.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..