Very cheep salmon fly rod

lutra

Despite having caught a fair number of salmon over the years, Ive never caught one on fly, so i would like to put this right.

I did have a go at this a couple of years ago but the cheap (£60) secondhand rod i bought on ebay broke when casting for some strange reason on its second trip out, i can only guess it must have had a bang at some point.

Anyway this has left me with a reel with a #10/11 floating line to match a rod with. I have my eye on something like this one, but I'm open to any other suggestions/ help anyone can give as i know nothing about salmon fly rods.

Thanks.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Hi Brian

I have a 3 piece 15ft salmon fly rod. It was the first one I ever made and is as rough as a Badgers bum but if you want it you can have it for the price of the postage.

Cheers

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Brian

I have a 3 piece 15ft salmon fly rod. It was the first one I ever made and is as rough as a Badgers bum but if you want it you can have it for the price of the postage.

Cheers

Dave

Thats a very generous offer Dave and one i would be very happy to take you up on if you think it will cast a 10/11 line ok.

Brian.

Hi Brian

I have just checked and the rod I had in mind turns out to be a 14' for a 9/10.

I have got an old Cortland 15' for a 10/11 and you are welcome to that.

It is a bit of a poker but it has landed a few salmon.

PM me you address and I'll get it packed up.

Hi Brian

I have just checked and the rod I had in mind turns out to be a 14' for a 9/10.

I have got an old Cortland 15' for a 10/11 and you are welcome to that.

It is a bit of a poker but it has landed a few salmon.

PM me you address and I'll get it packed up.

Thank you Dave, you have a PM.

• 3 years later...

Ok its only taken a little over 3 years and 6 or 8 trips down the river, but today ive broke my salmon on a fly duck. Wasn't the biggest fish in the world (just a little grilse around 4-5lb), but it has given me a taste of what is meant to happen and got me off the mark.

Sorry no pics as i was stood i the river up to my tatties with water and thought it best to just turn the fish striaght around and send it on its merry way.

Another very big thankyou to Dave for the rod.

Cheers

Brian.

Ok its only taken a little over 3 years and 6 or 8 trips down the river, but today ive broke my salmon on a fly duck. Wasn't the biggest fish in the world (just a little grilse around 4-5lb), but it has given me a taste of what is meant to happen and got me off the mark.

Sorry no pics as i was stood i the river up to my tatties with water and thought it best to just turn the fish striaght around and send it on its merry way.

Another very big thankyou to Dave for the rod.

Cheers

Brian.

Nice one Brian

Nice one Brian

Thanks Dave.

I was almost at the point of calling it a day having stood in the river for about 3 hours waving that big rod about and I'd not even seen a salmon show. I think it was only because the river looked in such good nick as it was settling down nicely after a bit of extra water and was starting to loose its colour at bit that kept me going. I had been told that was the best time for the fly to work.

Thanks Dave.

I was almost at the point of calling it a day having stood in the river for about 3 hours waving that big rod about and I'd not even seen a salmon show. I think it was only because the river looked in such good nick as it was settling down nicely after a bit of extra water and was starting to loose its colour at bit that kept me going. I had been told that was the best time for the fly to work.

Nice one Brian - two important days in an angler's life are the day of his first salmon, and the day of his first salmon on a fly.

Speaking of river colour, do you remember fishing the Moy when it was fining down after a flood and on the banks it was practically shoulder to shoulder with local wormers? As I thought the river was beginning to lose its colour, I opted for a Mepps Aglia #2 and got a grilse first cast.

Couldn't repeat it though, but it was amusing to see how many wormers within sight re-rigged with spinners. The next day should have been ideal for the fly, as the river fined down a bit more, but we had to move on.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...