Infinity Duo

Guest Fly on the wall

Guest Fly on the wall

I just can't seem to get my head round the colour of this line...can a mono of black and green really be low visability? I've had this line recomended to me by various people and I think so far I'm trusting my own judgement and not their's...am I missing out on something?

Have you used it?

What do you think of it?

Buzzzzzz.

Guest bushwacker

Hiya, not heard about it my self but will follow this thread with interest as I`m looking to change the line that I use this season. Always used big game in the past, but time for a change i think.

" all the gear no idea" thats me.

Originally posted by Fly on the wall:

I just can't seem to get my head round the colour of this line...can a mono of black and green really be low visability?

First you have to define low visibility, and if the line is indeed invisible , how long it remains so! I will assume that like the rest of us you do`nt usually fish in distilled water.

Guest Fly on the wall

I feel that colour does matter and I try to match up according to the water I'm fishing, as you know every lakes colour is a direct result of what the basic make up its surroundings are, as clay normally gives a bluish grey tint, gravel normally gives a certain clarity to the water and also leaf mold and other rotting matter from a densely tree lined bankside can taint the water brown. I'm sure theres a lot more to it than this but no doubt you get what I'm trying to get at?! This is why I would not fish a dark line over a light coloured clay bottom lake with a bluish tint to the water! In my mind it just don't fit in its surroundings. Maybe I'm going a bit over the top here but its something thats always in the back of my mind and why I can't get my head around using Infinity Duo on the lake I'm on.

Have you given pro-gold a go? I know its a bit on the expensive side but it looks a good drop of gear.

Buzzzzzz

Guest Chris Shaw

Many years ago now, when they started to up the price of Maxima line, which was the line of the time, I started to look for a cheaper line in bulk.

What I found in my local tackle shop was a line called Jetline, nice bulk spools, really really cheap.

This line was bright skyblue, I did'nt even think about its visiblity at the time, I just wanted some fishing line.

I can remember seeing this line stretching out across the lake that I was fishing at the time, from rod top to quite a few yards out, and I mean quite a few yards out.

It still did not bother me, It was fishing line and that was that.

This line did not stop me catching carp either, my fishing just carried on the same.

I caught carp from the bottom with it, the top with it, mid water with it.

After reading many things regarding line in the years since I wonder if a so called invisible line is more a hinderance than a help.

Scenario 1

-----------

Mr carp comes swimming along, them he bumps into something that is not there, your invisible line, would he spook, I would think so, seeing as he has hit something that he cannot see.

Scenario 2

-----------

Mr carp comes swimming along, he then is confronted by your line in front of him, bright yellow, bright blue, whatever colour. On seeing this he makes adjustments and swims around it. Does he spook, possibly not because it was seen and action was taken to avoid it, but no panic.

There you go, something to discuss maybe.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 13 February 2002).]

Guest RobStubbs

I personally believe line colour doesn't make any difference. Most waters nowadays appear to have an algal film or algae in the upper layers of the water. This attaches to the line and makes it look almost like a tow rope going through the water.

For most of my (carp) fishing I use green line - the decision was initially taken because of weed but I use the same line wherever I fish now. The only exception is the brown line I use in 10lb with a shockleader - but then it's the leader that must be the important bit (and that's clearish).

I personally think if you're worried about the fish seeing a line then make sure its on the lake bed and fish a slack(ish) line with running leads.

Rob.

Guest Fly on the wall

Part of an Article By Jim Gibbinson as seen on AnglersNet.

An interesting article...well worth a read!

COLOUR

Raw mono, if I may use the term, is a sort of off-white. To achieve browns, greens and what-have-you it has to be coloured. There are two ways of doing this: either the colour is added to the polymers prior to extrusion, or the off-white raw mono is treated in an acid bath and dyed. There are pluses and minuses to each process, but an effect common to both is that slight strength loss occurs.

Mono line is polished to give it a smooth surface (raw mono has a dull, matt surface) - which also results in a slight strength reduction.

No one, so far as I know, sells raw, uncoloured, non-polished mono. Even white (sometimes mistakenly called 'clear') mono is treated to make it white rather than off-white.

I'm not particularly fussy about colour, and use brown, green or white - depending what is loaded on my reels. An exception is when I am long range fishing in waters where I am in constant danger of having my lines 'wiped out' by water birds, when I like fluorescent yellow Ande Tournament because it scares the hell out of them, and ensures hassle-free fishing. It does not scare carp, however, because it is used in conjunction with a shock leader.

A nice compromise might be to use a red line. Easy enough to see on the surface and red should lose color quickly if you are fishing at more than a couple of feet depth.

Blue would remain visible underwater to the greatest depth.

Speaking of which (wrong section I know but I am already here) for the lure anglers who fish soft plastics in water of 10ft or greater, a blue lure will remain easiest for the fish to see as you get into deeper water. Especially at 20-30 feet many of the other colors just seem to lose all color.

Guest Fly on the wall

How did you work that out?

Are you a diver with a colour chart? biggrin.gif

I've heard of blue being more visable at depth than other colours before...somewhere.

Buzzzzzz

Guest Inspector Gadget

Yes, I've had 'Infinity Duo' on my reels for about a year now and have never had a problem.

I changed over to 'Infinity Duo' for no other reason than I saw it in my local tackle shop and thought I'd give it a go.

I've got no complaints with it and will be sticking with it for at least this coming year.

The second thing you'll probably notice (after the colour) is that the line is thinner than you are used to as I understand that it is (don't quote me on this) rated by a body like 'The Tournament Casting Federation' and as such the breaking strain listed on the box is what it breaks at, whereas I can recall reading somewhere in the past that some other lines on the market are stronger than you would think as they are for example 16lb line boxed/labeled up as 12lb !!.

With regard to putting fish on the bank, I wouldn't say that my catches have vastly increased with the new line but then again they haven't noticably dropped off either.

Give it a go and see what you think !!.

Stuart