Infinity Duo

Guest Fly on the wall

Guest Vagabond

The idea of camouflaged line has been around for over 500 years (yes, I mean over five centuries)

In the Treatise of Fishing with an Angle (Handwritten edition of 1450) it is suggested you divide your batch of horsehair into six, and dye each a different colour (yellow, green, brown, tawny, russet and dusky) before knotting and braiding them into a line.

Although not quite old enough to have used horsehair wink.gif (except as a hook link for trout, out of curiosity), I have used various shades of flax, silk, mono and braid lines, including camouflaged Platil, which was considered the cat's whiskers in the 50's - and am not convinced colour makes a difference.

However, camouflaging the HOOK LINK makes sense - it might help, but is IMHO unlikely to hinder.

If you were brave enough you could try a highly visible line right through to the hook on one rod (such as the fluorescent yellow Drennan Distance Beachcast

or the orangey-red Penn Super Surf) and see if that rod failed to catch anything! wink.gif

------------------

Vagabond

[This message has been edited by Vagabond (edited 15 February 2002).]

Hi all, line colour doesn't bother me at all as I use long shockleaders/leadcore.

I also agree with Rob in that most lines will begin to show themselves through algal film or algea in the short term.

In the long term lines will become scratched anyway. These micro-scratches raise the refractive index of the line and the line becomes highly visible, especially in clear water and with the sun shining on to it.

Also the micro-scratches become loaded with dirt, sediment, etc, and also become very visible, even in clear water with low light.

I've seen these amazing 'invisible' Flurocarbon lines do exactly the same.

IMO Fluro's pick up a lot more micro-scratches (and a lot quicker) than normal mono's which will make their light refraction horrendous!...kinda defeats the object of Fluro's really!

I've been using Berkley Fireline (which is a dark grey) as a mainline for the last four seasons and I've just gone on to using PowerPro.

PowerPro is a lot darker than Fireline, but my catch rate hasn't declined.

Some years ago I watched a carp from a tree (Christchurch, Linch Hill) aproach my mainline (Big Game, Clear) and stop in it's tracks.(my mainline was too tight really and I wasn't using backleads)

I watched the fishes eyes looking at my mainline and thinking (you know what I mean! wink.gif ) before it followed the line downwards to my hookbait and freebies.

The carp proceeded to eat my freebies then pick up and eject my hookbait before swimming off. Makes ya think doesn't it?!

I think you should use what you are happy/confident in using. smile.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget:

The second thing you'll probably notice (after the colour) is that the line is thinner than you are used to as I understand that it is (don't quote me on this) rated by a body like 'The Tournament Casting Federation' and as such the breaking strain listed on the box is what it breaks at, whereas I can recall reading somewhere in the past that some other lines on the market are stronger than you would think as they are for example 16lb line boxed/labeled up as 12lb !!.

Line ratings for b/s are one of two types.

The most usual is the b/s is the minimum for the line and it will break at either that strength or higher - never lower. This allows for variations in line diameter and is less expensive to make than the other.

IGFA qualified lines must break at exactly the stated strength. This is the sort you must be using if you are going to try for an IGFA "line class" record where they will aware a record to the heaviest fish caught on a certain b/s line. Much more precise manufacturing equipment required. Much more line discarded because it didn't quite meet the requirements. Therefore, somewhat more expensive.

Guest Fly on the wall

Most of you seem to be of the opinion that the colour of your main line doesn't matter. I bet some of you wear real tree gear,not for its camo feature but just to look good?!!

Lets take the situation of a pressured smallish lake of 2 acres with ten swims, all being fished with two rods, that gives 20 lines cutting through the 2 acre water, some might be pinned down in some way or another but not all people do this, the majority tend to tighten up to lead and this all adds to the pressure on our imaginary small water.

Now as I see it, a line that is as least visable as possible, as in one that matches its surroundings surely must relieve a little of that pressure.

Infinity Duo will be suited to weedy waters without a doubt!

As I understand it, Infinity Duo is relatively thin compared to many other lines and has little if any stretch.

Do you use yours for distance work or method? If you do then do you feel that you need a shock leader to save yourself from cracking off or are you confident enough to trust the line to take the punishment of the cast.

Buzzzzzz

Originally posted by Fly on the wall:

I bet some of you wear real tree gear,not for its camo feature but just to look good?!!

You've gotta look good or you won't catch! biggrin.gif

Infinity Duo will be suited to weedy waters without a doubt!

If you're happy with it, then use it. wink.gif

As I understand it, Infinity Duo is relatively thin compared to many other lines and has little if any stretch.

Do you use yours for distance work or method? If you do then do you feel that you need a shock leader to save yourself from cracking off or are you confident enough to trust the line to take the punishment of the cast.

All mono's stretch, including the thinner pre-stretched ones. Some mono's stretch more than others, but it's usually more than what is stated by the manufacturer.

Most mono's stretch between 10% - 15%. So 100 yards of line with a 15% stretch rate would stretch another 15 yards eek.gif, not good in my opinion! frown.gif

I always use a shockleader even when fishing the margins. The reason that I always use a shockleader is that if a fish was to show/crash at distance then I'm able to reel in my margin rod and re-cast it to the fish at any distance without the need to 'beef up' my gear.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 16 February 2002).]

If you do decide to go with the duo line for fishing in weed then try and buy the same diameter as your last line.This is because the the duo is thin for its test,compared to most other lines today.I have used 14 lb duo and i would say its as thick as 10lb big game so therefore its only as abraision resistant as 10 lb big game.

For fishing in weed you should really be looking at 20 lb in duo,this will only be as thick as 15 lb big game etc.

Personally i'm using the brown suffix line,(can't remember the trade name,£15 /spool).It sits well on the spools and is as tough as old boots.18lb in the weed for me,8lb for dstance work. :D