Other baits

Guest Nightwing

Guest HOPPY4

Nightwing,

Here in Germany, it is still illegal to use LIVE fish for bait. The use of smaller fish of the same waters is permitted as long as they are killed before you cast them out. The use of cut bait is authorized and practiced addimintly. The maggots are of the same variety that the British anglers have available. As to the use of all other types of baits, I have not been informed that they are banned. On the subject of COLD, it was -7 C (14F)this morning when I started the truck. It should be up to about 0 C around mid-day with the sunshine. There is currently 10" of snow on the ground. The forcast is that it will remain in the lower digits for the next month or more. This was the first year in 10 years that all of Germany had snow on Christmas Day. The change over to the EURO has created some problems getting started. The wife works for Wall Mart and has been required to work on the 31st. and the 1st. to get the computers functioning. Fishing???? When the snow melts and as soon as I am able to get there.

------------------

HOPPY

Originally posted by Nightwing:

My friend has a cabin in nothern Michigan, near Petoskey, where they have recived over..get this.. 120" of snow, TEN FEET, since Dec. 23.

How does he get from his bivvie to his rods when he gets a run?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Eddie - up there, they cut a hole in the ice and then put their bivvy over the hole. Actually more of a hut than a bivvy but you can sit and reach your rod. Sometimes two or three holes and a larger hut to include them all.

The huts are built on skies so they can be driven to the exact spot you intend to fish.

In some areas, you will see an entire village of ice huts grow up after the ice gets to a reasonable thickness. Hunderds in some places. They will be driven onto the ice and left in place until ice-out in the spring.

Mostly short sessions too but I suppose one could rig an alarm and sleep next to the hole.

I have heard (but not actually seen) that some folks who only like to trot will cut a very long, narrow gap in the ice and ... well, you get the idea. biggrin.gif

Guest Nightwing

Newt, Etal, the ice is not safe even here yet. We have had so much snow so quickly, that it is insulating the little ice there was(up until just before chrismas, we have had a very mild winter). So, even with the cold temps, not much new ice is forming. Only about 4-6 inches of ice, and with that much snow on top, it is not safe until you have a foot or more.