Is there any bait that carp wont eat?

Sheepy

I was having a mooch around my local tackle shops the other day and it is truely astonishing the variety of flavours, addatives, etc that are available. Not to mention the many different wonder baits touted in the glossies. Having only started having a go at carp fishing last year i have found the best baits for me to be worms or luncheon meat. Addmitidly the entire world of boilies etc has yet to open up to me but dont think i have done too bad with a pb of 17lb so far (waters only hold fish up to high 20's). Anyway after that ramble does anyone think that there is actualt a bait (within reason) that carp wont take?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost certainly yes - and they do vary between waters. One boilie for example that I used worked very well on one lake but caught nothing on another lake. That was at the time I fished two different baits, one on each rod, at the same time.

That said carp will 'eat' stones, sticks and even bare hooks - I say eat when they are actually just testing with their mouths but they will often take such things well into their mouths - which is enough to get a hook hold.

Rob.

Sheepy

If the other anglers are using Boilies, pellets etc stick to different baits.

By using different baits you have more chance of catching as you are doing something different.

The waters I fish have a boilie ban and anyone after carp always uses big pellets, meat or worms.

I did a mini baiting campaign with maple peas (firing in a pouch or two into known carp haunts every now and again) then used them for a season.

Result : over 40 carp in 10 short 4 to 6 hour sessions.

The last time I fished Trimley carp lakes (nearest commercial/day ticket water to me)

there were about 6 anglers fishing two rods with bolt rigs and boilies.

None had had a take.

I flicked in a freelined piece of luncheonmeat to some lillies and had a take on the drop which resulted in a 20lb (was the top lake record and 1st ever 20 from the top lake and my pb for a while) mirror.

[ 21. January 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Rudd speaks a lot of sense,a few years back whilst targeting some big perch on a semi commercial carp type venue (if you know what I mean?) I was acompanied by a good friend who had just got back into fishing.He came from a pleasure/match background but was quite keen on catching a carp.Not keen enough to warrent the matching rods bivvy aproach but liked to stick out a bonus rod on a buzzer whilst float fishing for the roach etc.Rather than set his "bonus" rod up with boillies bolt rig etc etc like all the others we would use an open end feeder with groundbait and micro pellets with pellet paste on the hook.He would often catch more carp (of all sizes) than the carp or bust brigade.

Another example is when we used to go to another well known carp water.He would fish the same ie one float rod one "bonus" rod and I would float fish the margins with casters.Same result,lots of fish to us "noddies" none to the "carp experts".Not because we were more skillfull or better anglers but purely because our aproach was different.

I could also relate similar stories on "proper" carp waters where just doing some thing different has often out fished the "normal" aproach.

That said dont be a mug and be different just for the sake of being different! Just dont copy the rest if they are not catching!

[ 21. January 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Had a good day at a little local commercial place on my second trip out for carp. Its only a small place and I was most bemused to see the other folks on the bank casting thier bombs at least 3/4 of the way across the water. I mean why not just fish from the closer bank. Anyway i had a top time catching quite a few fish on floating bread inches out from the reads next to my swim. Dont think the other blokes got one.

Thats the way ahead Sheepy.Im a real laid back guy but the attitude of some carpers makes me MAD!

One group of waters I used to fish regularly was the Mid Kent Fisheries waters.Here the bulk of the anglers were very set in their ways.Go to the first swim that they could comfortabley get their two man bivvy in.Cast their rigs as far to the far bank as they could.Then spend the next 30mins putting out bait,none of which ever got any where near their rig! they would then either retire to the bivvy for a **** or climb the nearest tree "fish spotting" Nothing wrong with fish spotting but why didnt they do this before selecting a swim! Also no matter what they saw they never moved!After me and amate would have caught several fish stalking and keeping mobile it was inevitable that one of them would have seen us land one or two.Curiosity would eventually overcome these fishless ones and around they would come "Seen youve had a few" or "what you get them on" or "how big" despite all being deemed quite rude by the Carp police would have been answered by myself or my mate quite cheerfully and honestly but no......the first thing they would say, to a mam, was "what you want to be doing is............"

Common,it is a sad fact that today alot of carp anglers will regard you as a "noddie" regardless of your experience or even what you catch on the day if you aint conforming!I once overheard a couple of young lads comment on a very famous carp angler they just passed who was stalking and sat on his unhooking mat "did you see that noddie he didnt even have a bed chair"!

[ 21. January 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!