Is there any bait that carp wont eat?

Sheepy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to sneak in and fish under their noses and they didnt know I was there (on one occassion a group of them were too busy playing football while their rods they'd left out caught the usual nothing), unfortunately you cant do that these days cos they cut down all the bankside vegitation !

Back to Steve's thread on this - I have witnessed carp hearding recently spawned fry onto the shallows so they could eat them, caught one after spending an afternoon catching deadbaits but the pike were quicker - you can't actually see an 8" jack coming as they're so fast on the strike !

The waters I fish at my current club don't allow me to wonder round taking a look, it's a case of find a vacant swim or go home. I try and think where the fish might be and I always drop a rod in the margins to which I get strange looks from other anglers, why I have to cast to the middle of the lake I don't know. Most of the time i'm told to use xy or z boilie which I will have a selection of but I like to try different baits. My favourite has been the big fat hot dogs or some cooked sausage that I steal from my dogs :D The hot dog and sausage approach seems to work very well for me on the commercial carp ponds as long as I can keep it on the hook/hair when casting.

Baits I have never caught on are worms which is strange as everything I read suggests otherwise.

James

Lousy baits for carp? Well, I can honestly say I have never has a carp on:-

a dead jack pike

a peeler crab

a Bulldawg

a float-fished sandeel

a 5lb+ live carp

Mind you, I have never tried :P

[ 03. February 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

• 4 weeks later...
j_s:

Baits I have never caught on are worms which is strange as everything I read suggests otherwise.

Same here j_s, I've tried worms many times, but never caught a carp on one. I tend to get loads of knocks off smaller fish before either reeling in with no bait left or catching a Roach, but never a carp. I always wonder if I'm hooking them wrong or something, but worms are now a bait I lack confidence in when targeting carp.

I've enjoyed reading this thread BTW, some interesting stuff. I'm a big advocate of fishing the margins myself, in fact my three biggest carp have all come from close range.

Best used as a stalking bait or when there is nothing else in the water.

One water I used to fish had both good bream and carp in.Despite having caught several 25+ (big in them days!) carp on worms whilst stalking I never caught a single one whilst bream fishing with them! Put in thousands of hours and caught plenty of good bream but never a carp by mistake! I always put that down to the bream shoals being that big and over the grounbait,but who can really know!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!