Fly Tying Essentials

Steve Walker

I've been having a sniff round the web to see whether any kits are recommended, and the answer seems to be "no" - on the grounds that the equipment is not good enough and/or the materials may not be relevant to the flies a person might wish to tie. The only kit anyone recommended is this one:

special.jpg

but it seems that offer is no longer available.

So, is it true that there are no decent kits available, and if so, what tools would you buy to put one together? There's a list of generic tools and materials here, but I was looking for more specific recommendations - and while my local tackle shop considers a 50 quid day ticket "reasonably priced", I was thinking basic but serviceable tools rather than anything inlaid with too much platinum and ivory :lol:

This really is one of those how long is a piece of string questions as at one end of the scale Myself and Owdtrout can show you how to tie a perfectly good working fly that will catch you fish using nothing more than our fingers and a halfway decent penknife in the way of tools. At the other end of the scale you can pay some very fancy prices indeed.

I would suggest that before you start lashing out your money go and find out the 6 most needed patterns for your fly fishing be it river or stillwater.

Then go and get a book and get the recipies for those patterns then go and buy the materials for those patterns this way you will not be wasting money on gear you don't need.

If you are new to fly dressing seek out your local branch of the Fly Dressers Guild they will know someone who will be able to take you through the basic techniques which will save you many hours of time wasted and frustration.

It is worth buying one each of the pattern that you wish to tie from a reputable source and keep them and use them as a quality benchmark that you should seek to aspire to.

Where it is worth spending money it is on decent quality cock hackles if you are tying dry flies.

Not all materials or tools need to come from tackle shops a trip round a good haberdashers is time well spent.

On tools here are three good tips the vice has to hold the fly securely and it should do so with the least amount of fuss, generally avoid lever vices especially the cheap ones if money is short what is known as a wheel type vie is the better bet wherin you tighten up the jaws by turning a whell at the back of the vice. The other fairly good cheap vice is the regal type vice which is essentially two pieces of spring steel that have been jammed into a holder and the vice is opened by squeezing a lever under the vice which operates a cam thus opening the jaws.

Scissors you will need two pairs your best fine pointed pair and a cheapie pair for rough work look after the good pair!

Dubbing needle simply glue a darning needle into a piece of dowling

Hope this helps

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Steve,

I'd suggest getting yourself along to Sportfish at Theale [Reading] They aren't the cheapest in the world but you should get good quality.

Scissors get good ones for cutting thread, get not so good ones for cutting thicker materials such as wire and tinsels. Make sure you use them for what you bought them for!! Be prepared to renew on a regular basis.

Vices I personally use the Scottie Vice from here excellent quality at a reasonable price. You can buy cheaper.

Bobbin holder with a Ceramic tip [buy a couple]

Dubbing needle, you can make one with a needle pinched from your wife's needle box and a piece of wine bottle cork.

Hackle pliers if you intend in to tie hackled flies.

If you are ever in the Anglian Water area their tackle shops have a good supply of materials and tools.

Basic materials would be tying threads in black, green, red, brown.

Pheasant tail feathers [male mostly] you can get dyed ones as well.

Peacock herl [green and bronze[leave green in the sun]]

Various colours of floss.

Cock hackles in various shades [game is good]

If you want to fish lures black chenille is good, partnered to a bright fluorescent green wool.

If "Blobs" are your bag get the Flash Attack Fritz in lots of gaudy and bright colours.

Hooks buy the best you can afford, Kamasan, Tiemco for example Drennan if they still do them are also excellent.

I could go on for hours. but!!

Loads of fly tying tuition on Youtube! Go do it.

Colin

Thanks chaps! I just don't want to buy something which will turn out to be rubbish, but nor do I want to pay more than I need to. There's a pack of tools here, for instance, which costs 20 quid, with the vice he suggests bringing it to a little over £50. I notice, though, that the more expensive examples of some of the included tools are more than the cost of the pack - is a £24.60 bobbin holder worth buying over a £2.60 one? What about a £9.50 one? Will the £30 vice be adequate, or will I end up hurling it into the bin and buying an expensive one?

Thanks chaps! I just don't want to buy something which will turn out to be rubbish, but nor do I want to pay more than I need to. There's a pack of tools here, for instance, which costs 20 quid, with the vice he suggests bringing it to a little over £50. I notice, though, that the more expensive examples of some of the included tools are more than the cost of the pack - is a £24.60 bobbin holder worth buying over a £2.60 one? What about a £9.50 one? Will the £30 vice be adequate, or will I end up hurling it into the bin and buying an expensive one?

The bobbin holder at £2.60 may well be OK but I have binned several over the years as the lip of the tube has cut the thread at a crucial moment. I bought a couple of bobbin holders a few years back that I still use here they are the bees knees!! They have an adjustable tensioner on them.

As long as the vice grips the hook securely it will do, no need for anything fancy such as rotating vices, that can come later. I have used the wheel type vice and it was the first one I bought lasted ages, but eventually the jaws wore out. The Scottie I have is only 1 year old and I'm very happy with it.

Get lessons... BUT get them from someone who can teach.

That doesn't mean someone who can tie a good fly, but someone who understands how flies are tied and can explain it. If the instructor says "Tonight we are going to learn to tie a black gnat." I would be very suspicious of what they are teaching. You are not there to learn patterns. It is all about learning techniques and materials. As you get to know them you will begin to understand why a fly's designer has used a particular material in a particular way.

Whatever equipment you buy, you will end up changing some of it. A good example has been my search for good hackle pliers. I've had dozens of them in my time. Everything from traditional English to rotary. The best hackle pliers are still the ones Alan taught me to use on my first fly tying coarse - index finger and thumb. However, you do need the tool sometimes. After years of buying, and making, hackle pliers I've settled on "Hackle Nabbers". As with many things I had to go through the process in order to realize how good they are.

If you intend to tie more than three flies at a sitting avoid pedestal vices. They are very good for convenience, but, in fact BUT, you can not control the height of your vice. What height should you set your vice at? This is something that should be taught as the very first lesson in fly tying classes, but isn't. Get this wrong and you will be in pain very soon. Here is how to get it right.

Sit in the chair you will use for tying, put your fist under your chin with your elbow pointing down. Your vice should be set at the level of your elbow.

Hands up everyone who has their vice higher than this. Now, hands up everyone who gets pain when tying more than a dozen flies. In most cases it is because you are supporting the weight of your arms, very quickly your shoulders neck or back will start to protest. With your vice lower you are tying in a relaxed position. I used to tie up to 10 dozen a day, without the aches and pains usually associated with tying.

There is of course a problem with this. Even a clamp vice will not normally go this low. You need a vice extension. That is an L shaped bracket that fits in your clamp and holds the vice away from the table. It should be used as an L shape not the other way up (as most seem to).

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of the game here. You are wanting tools and materials.

Tools -

Vice - To start you can do much worse than an under lever type vice. One will cost you under £20.

Bobbin holder - Get a good one. Ceramic tube is best. Don't go silly the ones that rewind the thread are not worth it. Especially at £85 a time.

Scissors - Here you can save money. An expensive pair may last you 5 years or more but the ones I use are better value than that. Bexfield Embroidery scissors, with plastic handles. Last ones I bought cost £1:42 + VAT. After a year I throw them away. A top pair of Tiemco scissors will cost £65+. They may last 10 years. That's £6;50 a year. You work it out. For heavy work toe nail scissors from the chemists are good.

Dubbing needle - Like Alan said, but I use a sewing machine needle. Ball end type (no that isn't a medical complaint).

Hackle pliers - If you are willing to pay £10 + then Hackle Nabbers, if not traditional English.

There are lots of other tools, some are even useful. The above are the most used.

Materials.

Do as Alan said.

One last thing. Get some hand cream, and use it. Carry it with you. Use it every time you wash your hands. Which you need to do more if you are going to start tying. the better the skin on your hands the easier you'll find tying.

Any questions you know where I am.

Cheers,

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

Thanks OT, lots of detail there. Right, I think I can buy a few bits and pieces with confidence now!

Hardly a lot. You are starting on a very steep learning curve. Soon though you'll have the satisfaction of catching on a fly you have tied. Its worth it.

Cheers,

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

If the instructor says "Tonight we are going to learn to tie a black gnat." I would be very suspicious of what they are teaching. You are not there to learn patterns. It is all about learning techniques and materials.

There is a certain irony that the only thing the trout were interested in last night was the black gnat, and I dropped one in the long grass and lost the other in a tree - if only I'd had a box full of them! ;)

Here is how to get it right.

Sit in the chair you will use for tying, put your fist under your chin with your elbow pointing down. Your vice should be set at the level of your elbow.

If I did that I wouldn't be able to see the hook in the vice!!

I'd say put the vice where you find it most comfortable!