Swollen Balls

Guest Gaffer

As you know boilies will swell up and grow a couple of millimeters or so after being in the water for a couple hours.

Do any of you take this into account when tying new rigs or do you not pay much attention to it?

Do you think it'd make much difference to the mechanics of the rig as I think it would?

What are you thoughts?

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Depends on the rig, I tend to use longish hairs compared to those around me also I use air dried baits a lot and boy do they swell. The time that I would worry would be if I were to use something along the lines of a D type rig where the swelling would hinder the movement of the bait.

PS The swelling of normal bait can also be used to add confidence in the angler when tying baits on!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 31 December 2001).]

Guest Leigh R

Do you think that a carp gorging its self on boilies could be affected by the swelling of the baits once they in its stomach? Especially if the air dried ones swell alot?

Maybe a stupid question.

Also how long does it take for a boilie to be digested?

------------------

Leigh

Originally posted by Leigh R:

Do you think that a carp gorging its self on boilies could be affected by the swelling of the baits once they in its stomach? Especially if the air dried ones swell alot?

Maybe a stupid question.

Good question, but one that I shall not worry to much about on the grounds that I only air dry hookbaits and I get the majority of them back! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Butcherboy

I've caught carp only a few hours after the first initial loose feed which have crapped my bait onto the unhooking mat.

But this was with my own bird seed mix, I've not seen it with fishmeal baits.

Originally posted by Leigh R:

Leigh - this time of year the boilie will probably pass thru the carp and out with very little if any being digested.