Dapping hunt

Guest Farmoor

Guest Farmoor

Help! I have happily used a dapping rod for years in Ireland and would like to try dapping on some of the larger UK reservoirs, but I have been unable to find a second-hand dapping rod. Has anyone got one tucked away in the corner of a loft that they no longer use? Anything from 15ft to 17ft would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyn

If memory serves me well from watching a TV program many years ago, it's a very long fly rod. You fish from a boat and hold the rod up in the air. You then allow the wind to catch the line and fly so that it blows it away from you, and then by raising and lowering the rod slightly you allow the fly to just touch the surface of the water, as though it was one of those insects that bounces along the surface (may even have been a mayfly - can't remember). Used a lot on big Irish lochs I seem to recall. I could be totally wrong of course cos I'm just one of them coarse coarse fishermen tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by davidP (edited 12 December 2000).]

Guest Farmoor

Thanks to coley for his tip and David P for his concise and entirely accurate description of dapping. Trust me it is a lot more exciting than it sounds. I too am a coarse angler and it's as exciting as catching carp off the surface. I still think someone must have a second-hand dapping rod somewhere or perhaps I am older than I think.

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

Dapping rods (dapping) method of presenting surface fished naturals close to bankside vegitation, excellent for basking summertime chub. Old Izaak was "dapp"hand at it.