Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

I'm now taking bookings for the Wingham Fish-In that'll run from Saturday May 16th to Monday May 18th.

Wingham is a syndicate water that, apart from the annual AN Fish-In, is open to members only.

However, please note that the only way to book a place is to e-mail me VIA THE WINGHAM WEB SITE at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm, and NOT by leaving a message here or via PM. Please also leave your Forum name if you use an alias.

After the last 3 year's fabulous catches (four 15lb+ bream to 16-06, loads of 8lb+ tench up to 10-04, plus lots of 3lb+ perch) I expect to be booked solid very quickly.

You can read about the 2008 results at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...Wingham+Fish-In. The 2007 results are at

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...ort-t75031.html and 2006's at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...wingham+fish-in

As many of you will know there's a chance of breaking the bream record at Wingham. We had one of 17-14 in April 2004, and as this fish was less than 12 years old it had several years of growth ahead of it! It will now almost certainly be well over the record. In 2006 Wingham threw up an even bigger (different) bream of 18-06.

Who can come? Anyone who's a Forum member and who’s made at least one post. However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. Those who missed out last year are guaranteed a place. If necessary priority will then be given to those who haven't been before. Non-fishing guests are welcome, but please don't wear bright clothing!

What's the cost to fish? Nothing! It's a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, plus a chance to meet Forum members.

HOWEVER PLEASE DO PUT SOMETHING IN THE BAILIFF'S BOX IN THE CLUBHOUSE. THEY'VE WORKED THEIR SOCKS OFF GETTING EVERYTHING READY, AND WILL BE WORKING AGAIN ALL THROUGH THE WEEKEND - INCLUDING RUNNING A TAXI SERVICE AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE TO TAKE YOU AND YOUR GEAR TO/FROM YOUR SWIM. WITHOUT THEM THE FISH-IN SIMPLY WOULDN'T BE TAKING PLACE AND YOU WOULDN'T BE READING THIS!

Where is Wingham? On a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere near Canterbury, Kent. The loudest noise is normally birdsong! Detailed directions will be sent to those attending.

When is the venue open? It's a 3 day event with the fishery open from 7am Saturday to 7pm Monday. However, please don't arrive after 9pm.

Can I bivvy up and fish overnight? Yes. If you don't have a bivvy and bedchair etc we can almost certainly arrange the loan of these items. You can also sleep in the clubhouse that has a lounge, kitchen, baitroom, shower room and toilets. Alternatively you can kip in the car park. Accommodation can also be booked nearby.

Lunchtime BBQs Every lunchtime there'll be a BBQ. Please do let us know though if you're vegetarian. The cost is £5 which must be booked and paid for in advance.

Which lake can I fish? Normally the Fish-In is on the Coarse Lake only, which is 40 acres and contains most species. However this year if we're full up I may allow some of you who are both Forum and Wingham night members to fish the 15 acre Carp Lake.

What restrictions are there? No keepnets or nuts are permitted, neither are fishbaits. Also no barbless hooks above size 10 are allowed on the Coarse Lake. In these larger sizes please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent nearer the time.

What about lure fishing? My syndicate members aren't allowed to lure fish and so I'm afraid it wouldn't be fair to allow lures on the Fish-In.

What tackle should I bring? The venue is very little fished and therefore the fish aren't tackle shy. With the very high average weights and sharp gravel bars a minimum of 6lb line and preferably stronger is recommended. Most members use 8lb, with a lighter hooklength if necessary.

I CAN'T STRESS HIGHLY ENOUGH THAT IF YOU'RE FISHING AFTER DARK YOU SHOULD HAVE HEAVY BOBBINS ON AT LEAST A 24 INCH DROP AND PREFERABLY A 30 INCH ONE (THAT'S LONGER THAN IT SEEMS). OTHERWISE YOU'LL PROBABLY STRIKE AT LINE BITES (THAT BIG BREAM ARE NOTORIOUS FOR) AND SPOOK THEM. THAT'LL THEN ALMOST CERTAINLY MEAN NO BREAM FOR THE REST OF THE WEEKEND!

IF YOU HAVE A SHORT DROP ON YOUR BOBBINS AND LINE IS TAKEN OFF YOUR REEL YOU’LL ALSO BE GETTING UP ALL NIGHT LONG TO RESET THE BOBBINS EVERY TIME YOU GET A LINE BITE!

YOU'LL THEREFORE NEED YOUR RODS UP HIGH, AND SO LONG BANK STICKS OR STORM POLES ARE NEEDED.

YOU'LL ALSO NEED LONGER BOBBINS THAN THOSE COMMONLY USED FOR CARP.

I HAVE 5 PAIRS OF LONG BANKSTICKS PLUS 10 SUITABLE BOBBINS THAT CAN BE BORROWED – 1ST COME/1ST SERVED! OTHER WINGHAM MEMBERS CAN ALSO HELP OUT.

At night when bream are more likely I'd strongly recommend you delay striking until line is being taken off your reel. This advice is echoed by just about every experienced angler who's fished for monster bream.

What baits would you recommend? All common baits catch such as worm, maggots and corn, but remember the lake is very little fished and so unusual baits aren't likely to work so well as you can't pre-bait. Above all, do make sure you have worms, preferably lobs.

During the day I'd recommend that you fish worm, maggot or caster, perhaps in conjunction with corn, on all your rods as otherwise you could miss out on a 3lb+ perch. These are present in nearly every swim.

After dark eels will probably make the use of animal baits a problem, unless of course you like eels. The vast majority are between 1½ and 4lbs.

I can order lobs or dendras for you from the local shop if given advance notice (9.30 am on the Monday before the event at the very latest). The cost is only £6 per large tub (approx quarter kilo.) but must be paid for in advance.

What are the best tactics? The most important requirement is to keep quiet and still (no bright clothing!) as although the fish aren't tackle or bait shy they're very easily spooked due to the lack of fishing pressure. Normally if there's more than 4 anglers on the 40 acres it's crowded!

The fish have definite patrol routes and they aren't likely to move off these routes. This is because of the huge amount of natural food. Wingham's the only water I know where your feeders come back covered not only with snails but snail's eggs, whilst Gaffer reckons any weed you retrieve crawls back in! So the best advice I can give you is to thoroughly plumb the swim and fish the margins as most of these are on patrol routes. Bear in mind though that most of the swims are deep, typically with 10 feet at the bottom of the marginal shelf. So if you're float fishing I'd suggest a slider.

Another reason for fishing at close range is that Wingham is a mass of bars, humps, plateaux etc., and so casting and feeding accurately is a must. If you're just a couple of yards astray you could be fishing in 12 inches of water instead of 12 feet!

In fact, nearly all the fish from the Coarse Lake, including many of the bream, have come in the margins.

They'll be a series of aerial photos on view in the clubhouse, and I'll also point out hotspots in each known swim for those who'd like this info. However, some of the swims have little form as they've been fished on only a handful of occasions!

Bear in mind that the bream are almost entirely nocturnal. The perch feed best in low light, especially from just before dawn (sunrise will be at approx 5am), whilst the tench can come at any time, but particularly in the mornings.

Any heavy baiting up is thus best done late afternoon/early evening to allow the swim to settle. This is especially so if you're spodding bait out. Not only might this spook your own fish, but your neighbours' also.

You'll also find more questions and answers from a previous year at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Tips-Wi...ish-in+bookings

What can I expect to catch? Wingham is very unlike the artificially overstocked waters that many of you are used to. It's very much a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens, especially tench and perch, not to mention record bream! There are more details on the Wingham web site.

How do I book? By e-mailing me VIA THE WINGHAM WEB SITE at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm, and NOT by leaving a message here or via PM. Please also leave your Forum name if you use an alias.

Confirmation of booking You'll get a list of questions to confirm your booking. If you don't receive these within 48 hours please leave a message on this topic. However booking a place doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get one as I’m likely to be oversubscribed.

Swim allocation These questions will ask about your preferences, including the species you're after, any special requirements, and ask about BBQ and bait orders. Please do answer these questions in full as they'll also help me give each of you the kind of swim you'd like. Of course I can't guarantee every guest will get everything they want, but I normally get very close!

Talking of questions, you're welcome to ask them here as others may find the answers helpful.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talking of questions, you're welcome to ask them here as others may find the answers helpful.

Will Peggy be putting a spicy coating on any of the barbecue chicken pieces, or will they all be a milder barbecue flavour?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

HOWEVER PLEASE DO PUT SOMETHING IN THE BAILIFF'S BOX IN THE CLUBHOUSE. THEY'VE WORKED THEIR SOCKS OFF GETTING EVERYTHING READY, AND WILL BE WORKING AGAIN ALL THROUGH THE WEEKEND - INCLUDING RUNNING A TAXI SERVICE AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE TO TAKE YOU AND YOUR GEAR TO/FROM YOUR SWIM. WITHOUT THEM THE FISH-IN SIMPLY WOULDN'T BE TAKING PLACE AND YOU WOULDN'T BE READING THIS!

Please don't forget to do this! The amount of effort that they put in is amazing, 2 nights with 3 rods on my local gravel pits would cost £50.

Rich

Snap!! :D

I can't concentrate on anything now, too excited, when do we get confirmation on whether or not we made it in time?

Geoff

The thing about the birdsong is true - it's so loud you can sometimes barely sleep! Last time I was there, there was a buzzard circling overhead, rabbits zig-zagging all over the place, woodpeckers hammering away in the woods, nightingales singing all night long, a cute little mouse ran across my swim, and a snake was too quick for me and fizzed through the bracken just before I saw it. I saw a group of five Jays bouncing and squawking in one tree!

Aquatic nymphs crawled out of the water during the night and hatched in my bivvy :)

Oh, and lots of acrobatic long-tailed tits! Wonderful!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
I can't concentrate on anything now, too excited, when do we get confirmation on whether or not we made it in time?

I think it's when/after Steve stops taking names........I don't know when that is.

I'll be closing the list in about a week assuming I'm full up. That should give everyone time to make arrangements plus pay for bait/BBQs. The exact date will depend on the number of bookings plus when I'm working round the lakes.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The thing about the birdsong is true - it's so loud you can sometimes barely sleep! Last time I was there, there was a buzzard circling overhead, rabbits zig-zagging all over the place, woodpeckers hammering away in the woods, nightingales singing all night long, a cute little mouse ran across my swim, and a snake was too quick for me and fizzed through the bracken just before I saw it. I saw a group of five Jays bouncing and squawking in one tree!

Aquatic nymphs crawled out of the water during the night and hatched in my bivvy :)

Oh, and lots of acrobatic long-tailed tits! Wonderful!

Anderoo

What about those wonderful Cetti's Warblers it must be one of the best spots in the UK to see, (or more likely hear) them.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.