Yorkshire BARBEL???

big tinca

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Big Tinca.

There are plenty of stretches contain barbel. I assume you would be looking for a day ticket water.

First point of call would be the tackle shop at Boroughbridge(just near barclays bank). He sells tickets for several lengths on the swale and the ure and gives some decent advice at times too.

The spa baths length at Boston spa is always worth a try, not sure where you get the tickets from since the tackle shop closed down. The wharfe at tadcaster is also worth a go tickets from the pub by the river bridge.

Cundall farm or sheephills farm length would be my first choice, sheephills in particular althought that length is best fished at night. PM me when you have decided and I will give you all the details I can maps tactics etc. Depending on when it is I may even join you.

There are hundreds of places to choose from :D

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Well i fished the Ure at boroughbridge before but to not much luck to be honest caught plenty of chub there but no Barbel

Also fished the stretch at Cundall but im not sure which stretch ur reffering too because im sure there are two with similar names?

Iv fished the stretch were theres a house were u pay on the left then drive down a bit further and go thru the gate left across the field which takes u too the faster swims

Pygocentrus Piraya

Guest NickInTheNorth

It's a few years since I fished there, but my favourite place to catch barbel (not always the biggest, but usually plenty of them) is right at the downstream end of the Newby Hall stretch on the Ure.

Walk, clamber and struggle as far past the old weir as you can, and fish just beyond the end of the island that is near the far bank. The swim is obvious as soon as you see it.

Great fun trotting caster or maggot. Plenty of fish in the 5 to 6lb range, and an occassional big'un.

If you are more into big fish and don't mind plenty of blanks PM me and I'll put you in the right places. (A serious chance of a double from a couple of areas on the Ouse).

The two lengths at cundal are cundal farm and cundal lodge. Cundall farm has a weir on it and any of the pegs above the weir will produce large barbel .

I agree about the ouse nick, large but few and far between. A good venue for specimens as opposed to sheephills and boston spa where its quantity rather than quality. Sheephills is the easiest venue but can be a bit like a circus in the summer as you can park behind your peg. Its a venue I only visit after the kids have gone back to school.

These days I mainly fish the River Wear which gets better for barbel every year :D:D

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Cant say I ever have. Always concentrated on the Swale and wharf for barbel. As Tinca says I have always found the ure to be a better chub water than barbel, but reading your post I may be prepared to give it a go as I work in that area a lot :)

Not too sure about the walk as far as you can bit ....I do tend to find myself fishing closer and closer to the car these days :) I assume when you get to the river you head downstream to the weir...nowing my luck I would turn the wrong way

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Cheers lads

Whereabouts is Newby Hall the name rings a bell like i'll be travelling from Leeds seems like a good venue

[ 22. August 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: big tinca ]

Pygocentrus Piraya

Guest NickInTheNorth

between boroughbridge and ripon, then you take a left, near the village of Skelton if I remember correctly.

From an email I had today it sounds as though the rivers are in need of some water though, so it may not be fishing at its best at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

try day ticket section on the river wharfe as it runs through boston spa me and my friend fished on there one evening and i caughtwo fish of 8lb and 8lb 6oz and a guy four pegs down caguht 8 barbel all over 7lb its great stretch

fishing rocks