Warning Scammers are watching now!

SteveH

This is happening on many forums guys, on a car audio website I am a member of it has happened so many times recently. Don't even waste your breath with it and completely ignore it.

James

I used to work in NatWests Fraud Office, an enlightening experience to say the least ! Over the three years I was there we saw every scam going (and some you really had to applaud but you couldn't tell the Bank that :D ) At the time most major fraud (over £5k) was committed by persons of a West African origin, fairly easy to spot as their names mainly began and ended in a vowel. The scam mentioned here with the money going backwards and forwards started about five years ago and you really wouldn't believe how many people fell for it. When it was explained to them what had actually happened their faces were an absolute picture !

The other similar one is the email advising that they need to send some money out of whatever country they're in and if you let them use your bank account you'll get a cut of the money. It's usually a ridiculous amount of millions of dollars and the whole idea is get your details and then request a 'fee' for sending the money over which, of course, you never see.

You can report any of these to the Met Police on their website :-

http://www.met.police.uk/computercrime/index.htm

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Guest Ferret1959
*Anthony*:

Steve - re. your pole, do you accept notes from the bank of Waddingtons?

Hey Ant, I got some of these if you can use them?

20.jpg

NCIS ( National Criminal Intelligence Service) are currently posting a warning on their website about Eastern Europeans, particularly Lituanians buying cars on Thursdays with counterfeit Bankers Drafts. Thursday is the prime day for this scam as the sellor deposits the cheque in their bank on the Friday, their bank can't tell it's counterfeit untill the issuing bank receive it, often the following Tuesday or Wednesday. The car is driven out through Dover docks on the Friday. Police enquiries reveal a happy seller who has paid in a bankers draft without any drama. The occupants of the car can't be arrested until the issuing bank discovers the forgery and so are released but the car often detained. The bad guys get away.