Wanted

Doc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeepster:

so your reels are better than a gtm fightin drag reel chris? or a curado baitcaster? i'm all for you selling your stuff on here, but less of the bullshine

[ 27. May 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Chris Goddard ]

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Originally posted by argyll:

[qb] 'Spiders are nice reels, Jeepster. Not well known in the UK but certainly not bad, and a darn sight better than a knackered old Bantam'

Ah the sweet smell of bull.

The Berkely Spider is not known anywhere.

(Pardon :confused: )

With eight bearings and a retail price of £25??

(Wrong again ! )

and is probably from the same chinese stable as Toothy Critter, Marado, Tica and all of the other ABU/Shimano copies. (Is it?? You seem to be the expert?? ABU's Mutipliers are copies of what :confused: )

Pure Fishing/Masterline all have these cheaper reels in their stable simply because they can buy them for peanuts, sell them for peanuts

(So what about the Pure Fishing MITCHELLS?? and ABU's :confused: )

and make a profit. They dont make them,

(ANd of course SHIMANO DO??)

they dont design them, they dont even specify them.

(So I had better get the "Trades Descriptions people in then!! Eh??)

They simple buy them in by the pallet load with their logo attached. They may have 8 bearings, but when it comes to casting, only the two spool bearings are of real interest and in my experience of the cheap baitcasters that have come my way, the spool bearings are too soft to be of lasting value, as are the other components. After a year or so the bits that were once firmly bolted together are moving around like they dont fit anymore.

(Erm my spiders are actually fixed spools! :) )

The Bantams in their various guises have been the workhorse of Shimano for at least 30 years and the original Bantam 50 is still available new in some parts of the world. Very few mass produced thirty year old reels are still sold for their casting ability and whilst it won't win any beauty contests I'd stick it up against any other sub 60 quid baitcaster available.

Anybody fancy putting some money on a Spider against a Bantam on the casting field ?

(NO!! BUT that is NOT exactly what was being asked :confused: )

Sorry Chris dont mean to knock your goods

(So why have you :confused: )

but they dont compare with anything made by Shimano,

(In YOUR Humble opinion! And exactly WHAT goods are you aware of that I have?? What a funny statement to make :rolleyes: )

outdated design or not.(??? Surely forms the basis for all fixed spool reels??)

Not an expensive reel your Spider though (AT LAST!! Something we agree on :) )

and at the price, I'm quite sure that it would cope admirably with the needs of a beginner just starting to use baitcasters.(It would cope ADMIRABLY with the needs of ANYONE at all!! Well perhaps not ALL?)

Doc..stick with the Bantam. If you've got the cash then 50 quid will probably buy you a used Bantam Curado from ebay and take care of postage VAT etc. If you want the older models then they are still easy to get hold of and cheaper.

Shimano UK are worth contacting to see if they can find you a spool for your original reel.

State your opinion all you want lads!! BUT unless you know all about everything?? Which I have to say I would stake a months money on it that you don't!! Then it is quite simple!! DON'T!!

If however you want a second hand or NEW Shimano baitcaster (Or any OTHER make!) I do have access to these. But I also have access to a lot of things!

(My SINCERE)apologies for NOT knowing who you were!! I will next time!!

And YES I am a little ****** off by the totally unrequired drivel!!! And where did you get the retail price of £25??? Retail is a slight bit more than that!! But as ever trying to help out as I do!! No worries!! Next time I WILL know better!!

[ 27. May 2005, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Chris Goddard ]

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

[/qb]

Strange, my seven various shimano reels have made in Indonesia, Taiwan, Malaysia and Japan on them.

Yes shimanos are expensive but you get what you pay for in this world.

I have used / had a go with just about every other manufactuers reels but they just dont compare with shimanos.

I am not saying OTHER makes are crap its just once you have driven a Rolls Royce a Mondeo just isn't the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only other make of coarse reel I own is an Okuma Aventa centerpin. [/QB]

I troo own an OKUMA!! And I have driven a Rolls Royce. I also drove a Mondeo and I KNOW which I would rather have!!! Shimanos are like anything else Rudd!! As I say I quite liked my Mondeo!!

Chris Goddard

Great pointless rambling piece there Chris. The shouty bits DONT IMPRESS MUCH THOUGH. Bottom line is that the guy knows exactly what he wants. A SHIMANO BANTAM...GET THAT CHRIS. Dont mind me shouting I thought maybe you missed the point of his post. Then you want to sell him something that he thinks is worthy of the bin. He seems to be a professional reel repairer Ought to know his stuff, dont you think Personally I didnt feel it necessary to be so harsh. The £25 retail? ...well thats the retail price you put on it.

State your opinion all you want lads!! I did !

Do I know everything, of course I dont, but then nor does any of us including you.

[ 27. May 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Chris Goddard:

Chris Goddard:

so your reels are better than a gtm fightin drag reel chris? or a curado baitcaster? i'm all for you selling your stuff on here, but less of the bullshine

MMMMMM?? Well of course you KNOW all about what I have don't you??? So may I suggest you either eat your words or please think before you post!! And Jeepster! Your words NOT mine!! I don't actually remember saying that MY reels were better than ANY baitcasting reel??? I am selling Fixed spools and am TRYING to help out!! BUT as usual someone knows ALL there is to know eh?? :(
what you actually said chris is that your reels 'put anything shimano make to shame' all i did was point out that that isn't actually true. as for thinking before you post, mauybe advice you should follow chris..........

No bull here, but Spider reels are available from Tackle Direct and I have seen them advertised in Pike Lines via a Scots company who's name I can't remember! I have no commercial connections with anyone in the tackle industry, so why should I come the old bull?

There is a valid comment re the Sale/Auction forum actually on the non-fishing forum.

[ 27. May 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

can see all the fuss a reel is only worth what people pay for it ,if stupid people pay full whack then the price stays up ,shimano like all other reel manufactureres want profit!! having a once good reel reputation now are produced using cheap labour and materials in china on the same machines/materials as the cheap crap versions but a known lable singles it out for a huge difference in profit and its rrp price ,in reality today there is little difference between everything bar the price ,modern stuff only just lasts till the warrenty is up whoever makes it ,old stuff lasts longer because its design didnt include shaving off every casting or gear of a few MM to save material cost ,they last longer because theres more of it to wear out ,they dont want it to last as theres another version already being made

as i have mentioned BFR has been sold and the owner has moved all their gear to china to make use of cheap sweatshop labour and probably cheaper materials ,will their reel prices plummet to take acount of this large manufacturing cost drop ,dont be daft its money remember ,new cars for the bosses and shareholders ;)and it wasent just BFR reels but most of the worlds fly reels will their prices drop now the british high cost of manufacturing has gone ? nope

dont worry though i remember german cheap crap reels ,japanese etc etc all companies go for cheap labour the way this countries going we'l be a third world country soon and it will all come back ,britain will again be the worlds supplier of everything but not as in victorian times because of our technology but because our labours cheaper than everyone elses ,sweat shop britain will rule the waves

[ 28. May 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

shimano like all other reel manufactureres want profit!!

evryone selling anything wants profit, thats why they do it. even those poor deluded souls on here who beleive they're 'helping people out' by selling them things

chesters1, I doubt if Shimano put together complete reels in China. Some of the components may be made there, but their reels are largely put together to their own specification and quality standards in their own factories in Taiwan, Malaysia and other countries. Its said that Okuma make some parts/reels for them and if true then it still appears to be to their own specification. Defining and managing standards is what makes the difference. The exceptions are their bottom of the line fixed spool reels which are probably chinese clones bought in and logoed 'Shimano' Since these sell for an rrp of as little as $20 I dont count them as serious reels.

The Spider reels which started the fuss do not appear to have one single hit on Google other than an indication that one was once sold on Ebay. That means that none of the major (or minor for that matter) players will sell it. I tried 'Berkely (all spellings)Spider, Mitchell Spider, ABU Spider, Pure Fishing Spider' Nothing, zilch, zero, nought. I tried Tackle Direct and searched for 'spider' it came up with 'nothing' This much vaunted reel was the one that 'put anything made by Shimano to shame'

I have three five year old baitcasters here.

A Shakespeare Alpha 2000. No bearings, just two bushes and a simple centrifugal brake. Simply but very well made, solid paintjob with hardly any surface damage. Cost £25 from BOS. Its still going strong, not a lot to go wrong, casts like a dream and still as tight as the proverbial drum.. Dont use it now, its retired.

I also have 2 six bearing Shimano copies made by Marado. Cost £35 and £45 from Jetty Anglers in Sarfend. Looked nice and when I bought them they were faultless... well for a short time. The bodies are covered in scratches because the plating is too soft. If you touch the handles they will move in any direction (including sideways) The spools rock back and forth and when cast they sound a bit like a small barrel of gravel being rolled downhill. I only keep them in case we go to war again....they could be melted down for spitfires. I wouldnt want to fly one though.

You cant make a multi bearing reel properly unless you pay attention to the quality of the components and the quality of the build and you wont get that anywhere for 25 quid. Thats the bottom line.

[ 28. May 2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'