The Death of a River

M1JWR

I dont know if this is exactly the right part of the forum, but here goes

I came to live near the river lyne in cumbria in 1968, i started to fish it in 1974, at that time the lyne had

large stocks of brown trout, chub, dace, some grayling, the summer sea trout runs, the odd salmon, eels

and flounders, it was hailed as one of the best chub rivers in the country, ive had 9 over 5lbs but none

after 1982, and thats where the horror story starts, a huge food in the winter of 81/82 was the start in

the mid eighties it was cyamag'd hard, and silage effluent got in, the chub and dace etc dissapeared, and

were only left with trout and not many of them, people said it was cormerants, imagine cormerants with 4

and 5lb chub, er i dont think so, i think it was electro fished to remove the coarse fish, now the local still

waters have chub in them, i wonder where they came from, so basically who ever did that has changed

the river from the way god created it, narrow minded peeople that think that trout are the bee all and end all.

They never think that the coarse fish actually help the trout stocks, and regard them as vermin because they

cannot eat them, the dace would have been the natural target for cormerants because there was shuch a lot.

We only wait for the sea trout nowadays, unlike back in the 70's when i used to see dozens of chub sunning

themselves in the shallows, recent walks along the river show to me its pretty clean, with minnows showing.

which leads me to the big question, i sent the ea an e mail with the same title 2 years ago and they were not

really interested ,how can i get the enviroment agency to put back the chub,dace,grayling

and turn the lyne back to how god made it

Any suggestions would be appreciated

people said it was cormerants, imagine cormerants with 4

and 5lb chub, er i dont think so,

It's not just the fish that Cormorants eat that die. Plenty of bigger fish get their bellies ripped out and don't survive, though they escape, and they don't all float to the surface.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

more die with tangling with corms that are eaten by corms i bet

rivers are stock ponds for the EA ,they regularly electrofish the river at tilford taking out the coarse fish and retaining the trout ,the landowners who rent their stretch to trout clubs or anglers are pleased those that fish for course are not .the richer trout clubs can hassle the EA to do what the club wants ;)

the EA dont like fish, anglers or angling they just do a job after all

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 year later...

As a postscript to this now old post, went down to the lyne a few times last year, some decent brown trout exist, had a good one of 2lb 4oz end of august, never had a sniff from a sea trout, never heard of anybody catching any either.

There is a stretch i know very well, ive fished it since i was little, the last school hollidays i had was 1975, i used to go down and see dozens of chub sunning themselves in the shallows, i used to catch them with bread crust, it was great fun, i used to keep a record of chub catches back then, i caught 97 chub between 1975 and 1982, it may not sound a lot to some of you but they were all over 3 and a half pounds, including 9 over 5 pounds, best 5lb 10oz in 1978, havent caught any chub since 1982

Best dace was 12oz also in 1978, havent caught one since let alone seen one.

Back to the present, looking at part of the stretch i could see quite a few small brownies and every so often a small shoal of other fish mabye a dozen or so would swim through them, i think they are chub, so just mabye they are starting to make a comeback.

Lots of fry in the river last year.

Back in the day eels were very common, dont hear of many people catching them now, even flatties up my way, plus a small run of salmon

wonder what 2011 will be like

• 2 years later...

I dont know if this is exactly the right part of the forum, but here goes

I came to live near the river lyne in cumbria in 1968, i started to fish it in 1974, at that time the lyne had

large stocks of brown trout, chub, dace, some grayling, the summer sea trout runs, the odd salmon, eels

and flounders, it was hailed as one of the best chub rivers in the country, ive had 9 over 5lbs but none

after 1982,

oops i meant herling, not grayling, although a possibility of grayling, i have never seen any, not on the lyne anyway,

crack has it they have been caught though that could be anglers tales.

Other than that, dosent seem to be much in the river, some rainbows escaped from a pond a couple of years ago

and got into the river, i reckon most have been nailed by now.