Top Pike lures for winter

msutton

Buy most of mine from the States mail order try Cabellas,Bass Pro,Muskie Fever,Rollie and Helens Musky Shop or Johnson Lures.Good prices but more importantly a massive choice of sizes and colours.Also try some of those cheaper Bull Dawg copies (Pike Dawgs?) available from the Tackle Bargains link on this site only a fiver or so regardless of if they last as well got to be worth a try.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish these spring dawgs came rigged properly !!

hooks on the bottom of a lure thats ment to be dragged/bumped around the bottom = lost lure :D

well it does in my experience

Joel

p.s

I will be buying a few in when I get paid next time :D

[ 23. November 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Seems that Budgie, like me, and probably Argyll, to name atleast three of us, all suffer from the same thing, the lure bug! I don't know about the other two, but with the advent of braids and therefore the unlikely loss of a lure, I no longer have an excuse to buy lures! But it was a year or two before I got out of the habit and I seriously don't know how many I have right now!! Daft thing is that I end up using the same few faithfull ones that always catch, and the others just sit there waiting theit turn!

I have a friend who has many thousands of them, he only uses 12 or so, most of which I have already added to my arsenal. :)

So don't worry, you are not alone.

Has anyone tried these Storm Naturistic softies?

[ 23. November 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: msutton ]

As Peter said it depends on the waters you fish.

Anglers will naturally recommend lures that they've found successful on the waters they've fished. However they may be quite different to your waters.

We really therefore need to know more about the venues you'll be trying, especially the depth. This is no doubt why Budgie's given you such a wide variety.

The reason behind this is because lures work best at different depths. Indeed floating plugs will dive only to a set maximum depth. It's therefore no use using a lure that dives just 3ft if the fish are 20 feet down. It may be a real killer on a shallow water but, unless the fish are in the shallows or near the surface, it won't catch much at many deeper venues.

Having said that you'll need some shallow working lures for days when the fish aren't down deep. It's just that in this situation your collection should be slanted towards deeper-running lures.

Likewise if you fish mainly shallow waters you'll find much less use for deep-diving plugs. However, like Peter, I've found digging a deep diver into the bottom even in shallow water can sometimes be very effective.

Other considerations include whether you'll be doing any trolling from a boat, the tackle you'll be using so that the lures are balanced to it, and whether you'll be fishing stillwaters or fast rivers etc.

There's already a lot of excellent suggestions here from some extremely experienced lure anglers. However, if you let us have some more info we can narrow down your choices to help you get the best value for money.

[ 23. November 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Burke:

Likewise if you fish mainly shallow waters you'll find much less use for deep-diving plugs.  However, like Peter, I've found digging a deep diver into the bottom even in shallow water can sometimes be very effective.

I've rarely ever found a time/place where a diving plug worked well if it was not bouncing off the bottom or whatever snags/rocks/etc. were down there. Maybe springtime in very shallow water but if it's over around 5 feet deep and the fish aren't busy feeding on anything in sight, I get most takes while the lure is in regular contact with the bottom.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I am going to try and obtain a map of the lake bed. That will give me more information.

I suspect the fish are in the deep part of the lake which is not really accessible without a boat (or kite....).

I am shortly going to try another water where the depth is more consistent. All lakes around here tend to be shallow though, so I'm looking at shallow divers which go to a maximum of 8ft on a fast retrieve.

PS. Yay, this post makes me a regular! Hooray for me.

[ 23. November 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: msutton ]

msutton - now you can add an avatar if you want to.

And a note re: your worry we'd get tired of lure topics - not bruddy likely. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President