Using a plummet to find the depth

carpin crazy

Hi all , have seen some people on the lake i fish using plummets to find the depth of the water, i have never used one before and have heard they are of a real use. Can anyone show me how to use one ?

Not just of "real use", in my opinion it's essential.

The following link with it's animated description, is easier to follow than me just trying to tell you.

http://www.pleasurefishing.com/html/plumbingdepth.htm

There's some other info on there, that the beginner will find useful.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer is right. Plumbing the depth is essential - you need to know where your bait is, and if it's where it needs to be....I made the mistake of not plumbing up properly when I first started fishing...it didn't take me long to realise that it was an essential part of angling!

Learn how to do it correctly and it will make a whole world of difference to your angling experience!

Janet

Guest tigger

I never used to bother plumbing the depth (still don't on most occasions) and always usually caught fish ok. I just guessed the depth and adjusted my float/depth to my liking. Often the best place to fish is up in the water. People seem to have an obsession with fishing bottom nowerdays and it certainly isn't always the best place for your bait.

I never used to bother plumbing the depth (still don't on most occasions) and always usually caught fish ok. I just guessed the depth and adjusted my float/depth to my liking. Often the best place to fish is up in the water. People seem to have an obsession with fishing bottom nowerdays and it certainly isn't always the best place for your bait.

Just because you plumb the swim, it doesn't mean you have to fish on the bottom, but it's a good place to start.

Unless it's intercepted, your loose feed ends up there.

If you don't plumb, how do you know if there's a drop off, shelf, depression or plateau that can be a feeding station for the fish?

Once you know your swim you can adjust depth and shotting to suit.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
Just because you plumb the swim, it doesn't mean you have to fish on the bottom, but it's a good place to start.

Unless it's intercepted, your loose feed ends up there.

If you don't plumb, how do you know if there's a drop off, shelf, depression or plateau that can be a feeding station for the fish?

Once you know your swim you can adjust depth and shotting to suit.

John.

If you can't tell when your baits on the bottom without using a plummet it's time to jack in fishin. :rolleyes:

If you can't tell when your baits on the bottom without using a plummet it's time to jack in fishin. :rolleyes:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

John.

If you can't tell when your baits on the bottom without using a plummet it's time to jack in fishin.

Maybe you can tell that when you have years of experience behind you, but I for one find that plumbing the depth is invaluable. It doesn't mean that I always fish on the bottom - on the contrary - I change my depth all the time until I find the fish. It does, however, give me a good reference point to start with and has certainly improved my catch rate.

I'm so familiar with my club lake now that I rarely plumb up, but I'd certainly do it on any new water, just to get an idea of where the features were.

Janet

Edited to add - it was certainly worth plumbing up on the canal....I caught two perch that went for my plummet and wouldn't let go!

Edited by Janet

To get the best out of any swim, you need to know a few things - how deep the water is, is probably the most important.

For float-fishing, using a plummet is the first thing you should do when setting up.

However, I don't think they're always that effective. When I use marker gear, after a few casts I know what the bottom is made of in most areas of the swim, if there's any weed, where it is, how thick it is, and what type it is, I often (at this time of year) find bloodworm beds as they stick to the lead, I know where there are shallow areas, deep areas, gentle slopes, and steep drop-offs. Do get all that info with a plummet would take all day.

Has anyone ever tried a scaled-down marker outfit for close-medium range float fishing or light legering (when a 3oz lead and huge marker float aren't appropriate!)? Say, a 4/5ssg chubber float and a 1.5oz lead?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music