thornback rays

utforsker

Hi Guys,

Ive been catching a lot of thornbacks recently,and returned all of them. Im tempted to take one for the pot. However I dont know enough about preparing the wings. I wont take a fish untill i am sure that im going to eat it. So does anyone have any advice,about cutting and preparing the wings of a thornback ?

Thanks Martin.

Cut the body off it is in a figure of "8" once removed skin the top and watch out for the thorns, they can do real damage, I just rub flour and salt and pepper and grill it. They have no bones, but a cartilage and you scrap the flesh away .... lovely

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Take a look at the post by Wurzel on the following page:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Boat-Tr....html&st=10

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The last time I caught a skate and cooked it was way back in the late 70s, believe it or not in those days we eat everything :o including the bait :lol:

I wonder if they're dry?

The last time I caught a skate and cooked it was way back in the late 70s, believe it or not in those days we eat everything :o including the bait :lol:

Thanks guys,

I will give it a try,even if its only the once.I believe there is an old folk law,that you remove the wings at sea ,and allways leave the body at sea !

regards Martin.

Thanks guys,

I will give it a try,even if its only the once.I believe there is an old folk law,that you remove the wings at sea ,and allways leave the body at sea !

regards Martin.

I once saw a skipper de-wing a skate in 2 seconds flat and then though the body over the side and it swam away I was shocked and horrified so don't do it

I wonder if they're dry?

I once saw a skipper de-wing a skate in 2 seconds flat and then though the body over the side and it swam away I was shocked and horrified so don't do it

Ive seen the same thing done to a blond ray.I nearly ended up with a fight with the idiot that did it. No im refering to kill the fish,then de-wing it and dispose of the body.