Dave Swallow Centrepin

Rusty

One of these caught my eye during an ebay window shopping session and despite Googling I couldn’t find out much about it. Apparently Dave Swallow manufactured these reels at Ringwood Hampshire and that’s about all I know, most of that’s on the backplate.

IMG_3559.jpg

I bought it anyway and I’m glad I did but would like to know a bit more about these reels, can anybody help or isn’t there much more to it? It’s a very nice reel with some well thought out design features;

Knurled drum rim for batting but not where you’d apply drag with your thumb.

IMG_3553.jpg

The handles are set well inboard so as not to get in the way and are removable. Note the big holes for finger twiddlers.

IMG_3558.jpg

The drum is retained by a knurled ‘nut’ on the backplate, remove it and the entire drum/bearing assembly comes apart in one large lump.

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Not great for ballrace replacement but clearly it’s designed in such a way as to prevent crap from getting in.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I nearly bought one of these many years ago and must have driven Dave Swallow mad with the number of times that I rang him up asking questions. What put me off at the time was the way that the reel went together which was similar to the Relum which he might well have had something to do with but I decided in the end to get an Adcock Stanton instead. If my memory serves me right there were more than one version of the Swallow reel. I think that the one you have is the earlier version.

Here is a picture of the Relum I used to have but unfortunatelyI cannot find one of it stripped down but it is very similar to your Swallow.

I think the early ones were made by Dave Plowman, but probably more were made later by Dave Swallow at Ibsley.

Not sure if they are still produced but they might be being made for Ringwood Tackle, don't know who by though.

I bought it anyway.....

The sign of a true addict. There's no turning back now :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Does anyone have an address of any kind for Dave Swallow? We fished together many years ago.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Does anyone have an address of any kind for Dave Swallow? We fished together many years ago.

Used to, but he had to move from where he made the reels.

I believe the reels are still sold by Ringwood Tackle, so they may have contact details although I'm not sure that Dave still manufactures them.

Used to, but he had to move from where he made the reels.

I believe the reels are still sold by Ringwood Tackle, so they may have contact details although I'm not sure that Dave still manufactures them.

OK thanks mate.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• 5 months later...

Welcome to Angler's Net Dave. Good to have you.

I've never even seen a pin close up and the original photos had me with thoughts of buying one even though they aren't at all suited to the places and styles I fish. Its sorta like a Purdy shotgun - it just looks so great its worth hanging on the wall.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President