old bernard and son fishing rod

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bob63

bob63

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

i have recently came across an old fishing rod with the inscription bernard and son, st james st, london, s.w. and a number +994.
its a fly rod and has a hollow brass ended case for the top sections (2 of the same top) it looks cane'y, bamboo'y, like but could be mistaken.
could anyone help out with any info on the makers inscription
or indeed the rod

#2 Worms

Worms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Coarse sea and game angling, mainly with vintage tackle, wildlife, especially otters, Vintage motorcycles, eating wild caught fish......the list goes on

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

i have recently came across an old fishing rod with the inscription bernard and son, st james st, london, s.w. and a number +994.
its a fly rod and has a hollow brass ended case for the top sections (2 of the same top) it looks cane'y, bamboo'y, like but could be mistaken.
could anyone help out with any info on the makers inscription
or indeed the rod

High quality tackle manufacturers that started in the 19th century and had works at 4, Church Place, Piccadilly. Later (but I don't know when,) at 45 Jermyn Street, St James.

They made rods and reels but without seeing individual items it would be difficult to tell whether later items were indeed made by them or made for them and badged as theirs. This was common practice and trade rod/reel makers would customise items and stamp/engrave them for individual 'manufacturers'

Got any pics of the rod?

Edited by Worms, 10 July 2009 - 11:30 PM.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!