Home Farm Fishery (Alsager, Crewe Road)

Ashy

Just wondering if anybody fishes here regularly and can offer any advice? I have been twice and blanked, and although it has been busy both times I have visited (midweek), I thimnk its probably still my tactics to blame..

I have been fishery strawberry pop ups on an invisible chod rig with a small bag of strawberry pellets, to no avail..

I have also tried meat / halibut pellets and no joy..

Im thinkking of fishing small fishy boilies 10mm over a small bed of pellets next time, and popped up worms for the large cats on the other rods..

Any advice from people who have/do fish it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ashy

Hi Ashy - The place does get hammered these days, so using smaller baits like 10mm boilies would be a good move. Small chunks of Pepperami on a small method feeder with fishmeal groundbait scores well, too. Fishing a slack line helps to avoid spooking fish.

As the cats seem to have more or less taken over the speci pool, I'd be inclined to fish both rods with them in mind (either popped-up lobworm as you suggest, or large pieces of luncheon meat).

If it's carp you want, there are plenty up to low doubles in the match pool...

Thanks thats sounds like some good advice, its a shame it gets so hammered, because its a nice, looked after place unlike some places now-a-days!

Do you fish it yourself much, as I see your from Alsager?

I think there should be a max of 6 Anglers allowed really.. but its money lost at the end of the day i suppose

Do you prefer any swims there? I went last tuesday and was down the left hand side fishing towards the island, and within 2 hours, there was 6 people all around me, and the rest of the lake was empty.. but by then I couldnt be bothered moving.. think Im gonna fish the other side next time and stick to the margins? What you think?

Do you fish it yourself much, as I see your from Alsager?

I used to, but not any more - too crowded and I'm not interested in cats! As everyone targets the features on the speci pool, you can actually do better sometimes by fishing the open water. As you found, the "favoured" bank is the one where you have the railway line at your back. The water is slightly deeper at the end where Barry (the manager) has his hut and it also gets fished a bit less, so I'd give that a try.

The margins only tend to produce when it's quiet (i.e. almost never these days), but there are often carp showing under the bushes between the fishing platforms. Pity you're not allowed floating baits, as a big piece of breadcrust would probably do the trick there...