UK Bass Stocks Are Collapsing

Elton

If you think change is not needed then your living in denial.

You'd better believe it! That's the way things are for fishermen who belong to the commercial sector ..... call them what you like, but there lays within their ranks a real fear of displacement and regulation. This regulation, by the way, brought by negotiation between the NFFO (representing how many?), Under 10 m reps and sundry ad hoc groups, who are now turning their paranoia on to anglers and angling organisations.

Now there's the rub .... most anglers don't belong to anything more than a local angling club/group, some of which are affiliates of other larger bodies. Anglers who care to believe in representation often join a club or a larger organisation for a sense of being in a larger body with common interests. The majority do not feel the social or political compulsion to join such a group.

After all, it is not a matter of a job and a living, it's much more important than that!

Ponder, if you will at the way the angling/fishing forums work and you'll find small sub-groups (as you do with any large gathering): anglers who want the status quo and wonder what all the fuss is about; anglers who care passionately about their pastime and 'get involved' at various levels; anglers who are anti-organisation and regimentation (regulation?) etc etc.

Of course you'll also attract those (to a forum like this one) who, by their own definition are from the dark side and are fervent protectionists; those who have an axe to grind amongst what they see as 'competition' for the same resource; those who wish for anglers to keep out of what they see as their business; those who, because of family connections or previous 'commercial sector' experiences, are in the 'hybrid' category.

So what are we left with?

We are left with a right and left side (in political terms) who will never agree on key issues - C&R v kill and sale;

conservation v exploitation etc etc.

Surmountable issues? (Doubtful).

Capable of compromise? (Unlikely).

Give and take? (Tried that!).

So what's left?

I'm afraid it's governmental intervention, legislation and treaty implementation.

That's what we've got and we shall 'gabble away' on these high-tech forums till kingdom comes (what did they do before?) and ..... to no effect.

Those who 'have the ear' will affect the outcomes but nothing like the 'think-tanks' (with their Consultations, Pre-Assessments, Appropriate Ongoing Assessments, Pre-reports, Final Reports) which advise governments will.

That's why I treat these diatribes as mere distractions and entertainment.

Don't you?

:rolleyes:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ponder, if you will at the way the angling/fishing forums work and you'll find small sub-groups (as you do with any large gathering): anglers who want the status quo and wonder what all the fuss is about; anglers who care passionately about their pastime and 'get involved' at various levels; anglers who are anti-organisation and regimentation (regulation?) etc etc.

Hello Ada. What category do I fit into, then, as someone who cares passionately about my sport, who got involved, saw what was going on and is now very worried that those doing the talking are ruining the future of the sport?

Oh yes, and you forgot the "blind faith" category too. You know, those that are happy to sit on their arses and support anyone, who is doing anything, as long as it doesn't involve doing anything themselves.

Then there's the "psuedo angler/serial campaigner" category, the "know nothing" category, the "not in my backyard" category, etc, etc................

And out of all those categories, which one would you say is right?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Stevie

you missed the point if you were worried about the categories .... you'll certainly end up with a taxonomic classification of one or two in a set!

Look at WSF P&C for the 'oddballs', misfits and 'dinos' ('last of the few').

Steviecops - Grandiscardio pistophicus

;)

To use words like the dark side I feel to be a little childish. Not all commercial fishermen are arse holes, some wish to continue to earn their living from fishing until retirement. Therefore to over fish would be detrimental to this.

I for one now fear the likes of BASS, NFSA and Roskilly far more than any commercial fishermen. They pose more of a threat to the angling freedom that I enjoy at present. My sea angling is very enjoyable at the moment and it angers me that people will not just leave it be. I now fear its to late and these busy bodies have now set in to motion an un stoppable snowball that could sea us tied up in restrictions that will render sea angling just a shadow of what it is today.

We should not be fighting the commercial but fightin for our rights to angle.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

In the past three days despite the dire weather I have heard of three double figure bass and several 7 and 8 pounders being landed by anglers from the Thames Estuary not to mention many thornbacks. The fishing is good, as said before the average size of bass is much smaller than in the good old days but with sensible management these fish would grow.

By creating this monstrous wedge between commercial fishermen and sea anglers we have not helped any future sensible joined up management. Believe it or not most commercials understand more about fish than your average angler, those that don’t have long since gone to the wall. So as I see it commercial fishermen and anglers both should be custodians.

As a angler I am a stake holder and at present I know where I would like to shove that stake, up DEFRAs jacksy!

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

The fishing is good, as said before the average size of bass is much smaller than in the good old days but with sensible management these fish would grow.

I doubt if any will disagree with the need for sensible management. However, there do seem to be differences in exactly what folks think sensible management is with some good arguments on all 14 sides of the question.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I doubt if any will disagree with the need for sensible management. However, there do seem to be differences in exactly what folks think sensible management is with some good arguments on all 14 sides of the question.

The trouble is Newt, for sensible management you need sensible managers and that is something we don't have.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

..... you need sensible managers and that is something we don't have.

We clearly have not seen the qualities needed for fisheries management from Defra, SFCs, the real commercial sector bosses and least of all any overview, leadership and competence from a Defra minister. (Wasn't Jonathan Shaw in Social Services before he was an MP?)

I'm afraid Sam, there is always going to be conflict between those who make money from a natural but limited resource and those who wish to preserve and conserve it.

What madness is the commercial sector going to think of next .... they're hauling tonnes of shark species (mainly tope and smoothhounds) from the English Channel right now for making various fish by-products like fish meal, oils and of course 'pot bait'.

I'd quite like to know if your dad echoes the sentiments you have expressed above, Sam?

<_<

Edited by H.A.

Not all commercial fishermen are arse holes, some wish to continue to earn their living from fishing until retirement. Therefore to over fish would be detrimental to this.

I for one now fear the likes of BASS, NFSA and Roskilly far more than any commercial fishermen. They pose more of a threat to the angling freedom that I enjoy at present. My sea angling is very enjoyable at the moment and it angers me that people will not just leave it be. I now fear its to late and these busy bodies have now set in to motion an un stoppable snowball that could sea us tied up in restrictions that will render sea angling just a shadow of what it is today.

We should not be fighting the commercial but fightin for our rights to angle.

Regards to the inshore bass stocks,

Can you demonstrate what the likes of these angling organisations are proposing to do to make the fishing worse, more importantly the decline of the bass stocks. Then you can demonstrate the conservative policy from the nffo's perspective. The only one i know is their refusal to take the ones that have had a chance to breed, as otherwise they would have to discard them after catching them accidently. Bigger mesh size perhaps, did they miss that one?

What was the bad bits within the bass management plan, please. Where did that go wrong.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..