North Sea Quotas running out

Toerag

Could you please let us into your secret on how to run a business with out earning money
- Wurz

I can see you in the 'Dragon's Den' answering questions about your Under 10s 'idea'!

I'm afraid I have no sympathy for the inshore fleet having lost out to the bigger boats.

Bit like saying you can't make the first team at footie, while your big brother is on £20k a week.

I guess we're left with the idea that you will have to play for 'fun' or find a proper job?

All commercial fishing is undergoing pretty drastic changes at present (whether they recognise it or not).

It's out of their hands because they couldn't manage a stock of crabs in a rockpool!

No doubt you'll retort that Defra can't manage their ablutions in the morning.

I'm afraid Governments work like that. Once an industry gets out of control (Mrs Stevenson and her clan?), Governments step in a la Northern Rock.

If anglers have changed for the better and catch 25 bream only keeping 4 you won't mind if DEFRA make a law insisting on it.

You defeat your own argument; it's precisely because RSAs catch and return, or keep only a small proportion (overall) of what little they catch, that there is no MLS for fish in angling; in truth, only mandatory SFC Byelaws for particular species on a regional basis.

But to give a blunt reply to your question: if after the necessary reviews (as promised in the Marine Bill), I'd personally be quite happy for bag limits and Min/Max sizes to be brought in for RSAs. Not a problem for me.

B)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Wurz

I can see you in the 'Dragon's Den' answering questions about your Under 10s 'idea'!

I'm afraid I have no sympathy for the inshore fleet having lost out to the bigger boats.

Bit like saying you can't make the first team at footie, while your big brother is on £20k a week.

I guess we're left with the idea that you will have to play for 'fun' or find a proper job?

All commercial fishing is undergoing pretty drastic changes at present (whether they recognise it or not).

It's out of their hands because they couldn't manage a stock of crabs in a rockpool!

No doubt you'll retort that Defra can't manage their ablutions in the morning.

I'm afraid Governments work like that. Once an industry gets out of control (Mrs Stevenson and her clan?), Governments step in a la Northern Rock.

You defeat your own argument; it's precisely because RSAs catch and return, or keep only a small proportion (overall) of what little they catch, that there is no MLS for fish in angling; in truth, only mandatory SFC Byelaws for particular species on a regional basis.

But to give a blunt reply to your question: if after the necessary reviews (as promised in the Marine Bill), I'd personally be quite happy for bag limits and Min/Max sizes to be brought in for RSAs. Not a problem for me.

B)

The only industry that is out of control here is the fisheries management industry.

DEFRA are talking about collecting catch data from a few selected charter boats operating from the North sea ports, perhaps BIG COD would like to volunteer his services.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Oh I know it's under 10 quota, but I was wondering if the quotas are less than last year, or are boats catching more fish this year. I should have been more specific, sorry!

Hello Toerag

A bit of both.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Only time will tell to see if I'm right and to see who's foolish HA.

I'll quote a piece from a very recent large pile of paper I received from DEFRA titled ENVIROMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE FISHERIES.

"The impact of sea angling on fish stocks and on the wider marine enviroment has not been accurately assessed. There is circumstantial evidence however, that for some species the impact of recrational sea angling may be similar to commercial fishing. This pilot would make a valuable contribution to the evidence base needed to inform management decisions on the need for conservation measures such as bag limits ."

[/quote

Hi Peter

Looks like DEFRA may have taken note of what I have been saying in my letteres to them

steve

Looks like DEFRA may have taken note of what I have been saying in my letteres to them - Steveg

Not half as much as the letter(e)s I've been sending them (and several thousand others!) viz:

The government is setting up a £280,000 study to work out the environmental impact of the inshore fleet - the first project of its kind. Vessels will be fitted with systems to monitor information such as their position and skippers will be asked to record what they caught - and what they threw back. The government is also prepared to spend £3m-£5m on a new decommissioning scheme, under which some of the most profitable smaller boats would be put out of action.
- Defra

Re: FISHING:

The Net Benefits report gives the likely outcome for the catching sector based on different scenarios that shows that at best, only limited growth would be possible, maybe as much as £650 million given extremely favourable conditions and acceptance by the industry of severe cuts and retrenchment.

What should be emphasised, though, is that the figures show that the value of the RSA sector is huge, and of great social and economic importance, increasing the quality of life of it’s millions of participants and providing livelihoods and business opportunities, often in coastal communities, and that it is capable of producing considerable additional growth if management policies are adopted to increase the quality of the angling experience.

And this growth potential is far bigger than any estimate of its current value.

Now, how much taxpayer’s money is used to support the catching sector in the way of costs for administration, science, grants, enforcement etc., compared to how much is returned by the catching sector into the public purse?

Shouldn't we then consider how much is paid into the public purse by the Recreational Sea Angling Sector (VAT approaching £100million!) and compare how much public money is used to support the RSA sector? Is there any?

<_<

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Only time will tell to see if I'm right and to see who's foolish HA.

I'll quote a piece from a very recent large pile of paper I received from DEFRA titled ENVIROMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE FISHERIES.

"The impact of sea angling on fish stocks and on the wider marine enviroment has not been accurately assessed. There is circumstantial evidence however, that for some species the impact of recrational sea angling may be similar to commercial fishing. This pilot would make a valuable contribution to the evidence base needed to inform management decisions on the need for conservation measures such as bag limits ."

Never thought Id say this but in reality planet wurzel is planet Earth. It may take some time for a lot of you to realise (It has me) but what Wurzel says more often than not becomes reality and the man's predictions about DEFRA are bang on, his only failure is to highlight the role of our so called angling reps in all of this ? Right up the rear end of DEFRA - infact spoon feeding them a lot of the information required to bring sea angling to its knees. A lot of what is said here has already happened, the over 10 meter fleet has fallen into the hands of the few (Fat Cats). The fleet and the processing has been monopolised and because of this its become easier to manage. They are part way to doing the same with the under 10's, once thats done the whole industry will be run by a handful of individuals who are easy to watch. So who will DEFRA be managing ? yes its the sea angler. Bait digging restrictions, a sea angling licence (OH YES THAT WILL BE BACK), Bag Limits, areas where you can not even enter (Dont be fooled into thinking you will be able to fish in the MPA's - YOU WONT, as weve already found out up here at Flamborough). Anyone who thinks wurzel is talking out of his back end - just check back in 5 years time and see where we are.

As for sea anglers catching and releasing cod or any other species for that matter, its beginning to sound like Planet HA. Do us all a favour and Screw your head on before its too late, remember their is a whole lot of anglers around the UK and what happens where you are is thankfully not the case everywhere.

Edited by glennk

The only industry that is out of control here is the fisheries management industry.

DEFRA are talking about collecting catch data from a few selected charter boats operating from the North sea ports, perhaps BIG COD would like to volunteer his services.

Says he'd be only to happy to help out peter but sadly he's fully booked until July 2040.

Oh I know it's under 10 quota, but I was wondering if the quotas are less than last year, or are boats catching more fish this year. I should have been more specific, sorry!

From what I've been told the situation applies to the over 10's too, there is no whiting quota for any boats irrelevant of size, and the Cod quota is so expensive along with deasil the whole things about to go pear shaped. Talk of a blockade up here tomorrow as the French are landing into the port thousands of whiting whilst our lads have no quota..

Edited by glennk