North Sea Quotas running out

Toerag

Hi clem

Do the whiting go offshore for the summer and come back inshore for the winter if the French have left some that is?????????????????????

steve

As far as I know Steve its a year round fishery. I think its just the density of the shoals that varies.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge the only new thing the new Treaty brings in is more say to the European Parliament over the EU fisheries policy (*). If this is a good or bad thing I don't know it all depends but for sure it'll slow down the legislation speed. So what are you refering to in the new Treaty when saying 'EU will have full controll over fisheries management in the UK'? Maybe I missed something.

* Election time is June next year. As the Comittee on Fisheries is the main feeder to the EU Parliament plenary this means more influence over the fisheries policy to the few men and women at this committee. And as the committee is totally dominated by commercial fisheries interests -MEPs elected in socalled 'fisheries communities/constituencies, often doing nothing more than to deliver papers and speeches written by commercial fisheries reps-' then the best thing anglers can do now is to get angling friendly MEPs interested in sitting said committee when elected. A lot of crab will be aired in public from now on to get people to vote on this or that person or party. But when all the smoke and mirrors have gone there is a five year term with new MEPs. We need those MEPs to be better for angling than the ones we have now.

Hi FF

When Gordan Brown signed the Lisbon Treaty he signed away certain sovereign rights of this country to govern as it see's fit.

When the Treaty is ratified we will no longer be able to go to war without the permission of the EU.

The EU will have control over certain parts of the national heath

The EU will have full control over our fisheries, not DEFRA.

The point is when you give away sovereigns rights you lose control of your own destiny and are therefore at the mercy of the new owners of those rights.

The EU could place a one fish bag limit on anglers or ban commercial fishing in the UK all our goverment and DEFRA can do is ask when should it be implemented by

When the Lisbon Treaty is ratified we will all live by the European constitution in affect we will be swallowed into the European Superstate

The British Isles will longer exist we will to all intents and purposes be main land Europe

steve

Edited by steve good

Guest challenge
CHALLENGE

But these boats are working aback of twelve miles? What do you class as inshore grounds?

I would expect that the French get there quota from the same place as our boats get there’s when they have exhausted there own quota.

Working back of twelve on what they call the "nerf-sanc" (9-5) grounds John. Come night time when you lads are tucked up then the compass starts to wander. These are inshore grounds broadly speaking I would say.

Are you allowed to apply the same stringent regulation on these boats as British boats John?

Hi Clem.

We don’t have to be at sea to know where a boat is or where it is going or more or less what it is doing.

Unfortunately we cannot use the same technology to bring a conviction (as yet anyway) but we can respond and often do respond (regardless of the time) to that same technology.

Regards.