line breaks

si robson

I have just started fishing again after 18 years and having problems with line breaks. I use a method feeder on a running rig to a shock bead connected to a swivel on 8lb cattana mono to a 5lb drennan hook length. I started fishing at our local pond biggest carp in there only 18lb. soon as i get a bite i pull into it and the hook length breaks. what am i doing wrong please help. driving me crazy.

cheers

Welcome to AnglersNet. Weekends are sometimes slow around here but someone should be along to offer suggestions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have just started fishing again after 18 years and having problems with line breaks. I use a method feeder on a running rig to a shock bead connected to a swivel on 8lb cattana mono to a 5lb drennan hook length. I started fishing at our local pond biggest carp in there only 18lb. soon as i get a bite i pull into it and the hook length breaks. what am i doing wrong please help. driving me crazy.

cheers

Hi Si, and welcome to AN.

A few questions that might help get an answer.

How often does it happen?

Where on the hook length does it happen?

Have you got anything on the hook length?

What's the bed of the pond like? (sand, gravel etc)

Are there many swan mussels in the pond?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Si, and welcome to AN.

A few questions that might help get an answer.

How often does it happen?

Where on the hook length does it happen?

Have you got anything on the hook length?

What's the bed of the pond like? (sand, gravel etc)

Are there many swan mussels in the pond?

John.

Ive been fishing three times and so far it happend 8 times.

It breaks at the swivel

nothing on the hook length

the bed of the pond is very sandy

Dont know about swan mussels havent seen any

thx for your time and help. si

off to try again this morning

Breaking at a knot (such as at the swivel) certainly sounds like that is your problem.

If the line is fairly new, I'd have to suspect problems with the knot.

How old is the line and if you've had it a while, what were the storage conditions?

What knot(s) are you using?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm in agreement with Newt here, it certainly sounds like a knot problem.

To add to Newts question about the knot.

Does the line have a 'pigs tail' where it's broken?

Are you lubricating the knot as you tighten it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm in agreement with Newt here, it certainly sounds like a knot problem. To add to Newts question about the knot. Does the line have a 'pigs tail' where it's broken? Are you lubricating the knot as you tighten it? John.
The line is new.I dont use a knot to attach the hook length, i pass the hook length loop through the swivel,then the hook through the loop.Could it be to much clutch when i strike?thx for your help guys
The line is new.I dont use a knot to attach the hook length, i pass the hook length loop through the swivel,then the hook through the loop.Could it be to much clutch when i strike?thx for your help guys
p.s ive only fished rivers in the past first time commercial fishery

Unless you made the hooklengths, it could still be an issue with the line.

Try a little testing at home. Soak the hooklength first since mono absorbs water and weakens a little bit.

Anchor your scale and attach a hooklength to your scale then pull until it breaks while watching the scale to see what it reads when the rig breaks.

Do this with 3 or 4 of them. They should all break at or very near the rated b/s for the line.

Sorry I can't be more help but I never use rigs with a loop in the line for attaching. OTOH, your rigs are probably quite different from the ones I use. I don't have to be nearly as delicate as UK anglers do.

The line is new.I dont use a knot to attach the hook length, i pass the hook length loop through the swivel,then the hook through the loop.Could it be to much clutch when i strike?thx for your help guys p.s ive only fished rivers in the past first time commercial fishery

Hi Si, I think we've found your problem. Attaching the hook length as you are doing, can allow movement where it is attached to the swivel, this in turn can create a weak point and breakage.

I suggest that you try tying the hook length to the swivel using a tried and tested knot, I prefer a uni' knot or (some on here will disagree) a tucked blood knot.

There are some articles on knots if you use the 'search' facility on AN, or here's a site that I have found useful, http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing....imatedknots.com.

Here are the ones on AN, http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Fi...hing_knots.html

Try it and I'm sure you will see a difference.

John.

P.S.

As a rider to the above, from my own limited experience on commercials, ( I avoid them like the plague), there is usually no need to strike hard, if at all, the carp in these waters have a habit of hooking themselves.

Another thought that crossed my mind was the rod you are using. If it is a powerful rod, and particularly if you are fishing at close range, then a hard strike could cause a breakage.

A few things for you to ponder, but I would definitely use a knot to fix my hook length to the swivel if I were you.

Edited by gozzer