recomended spey line

phil dean

OK, I've bought the Shakespeare Oracle iv 15ft rod. I now need a line, snowbee has been recommended (double tapre apparently) any other suggestions, I assume I need an 11weight floating?

regarding reels, I assume that, as for trout, the real is the least important part. I have a 4inch diameter real with a disc drag system, do I need to get a new one or am I just wasting money?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

OK, I've bought the Shakespeare Oracle iv 15ft rod. I now need a line, snowbee has been recommended (double tapre apparently) any other suggestions, I assume I need an 11weight floating?

regarding reels, I assume that, as for trout, the real is the least important part. I have a 4inch diameter real with a disc drag system, do I need to get a new one or am I just wasting money?

Hi Phil

Regarding the line, you will be able to cast OK with a double taper, both overhead and Spey casting. If you intend to go for very long spey cats the a dedicated spey line might be better (and probably more expensive) The Wulfe Triangle taper with the long-80'- head casts like a dream..

Reference the reel, if you hook a decent salmon in a reasonably powerful river the you may find you need a decent reel more than you might in trout fishing, at the very least you will need room for a bulky line and plenty of backing and whilst a disc braking system isn't absolutely necessary, it can help. This is what I use in the 200d.

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/pages/leeda/reel3.html

Not too expensive and I have used mine for 5 years with no problems, and minimum maintenance I am ashamed to say.

The Shakespeare Oracle is an excellent rod, better than many rods for twice the price so good luck with it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Phil

So your venturing into the land of Spey lines! I presume you will be looking for a floating line?

The best of the bunch has to be the Carron Jetstream lines, superb casting but expensive.

The Snowbee 2D lines are also very good, cast very well but have a gentle front taper which can struggle if you want to turn over sinking polytips etc.

Partridge Ian Gordon lines are good but stick with the short head - 65ft version.

Rio Windcutter is a very popular line although I am not a fan.

If you would like to try a few lines out give me a shout and next time i'm at Whitfield I can nip over for you to try a few out.

I have the following that you can try:

Carron Jetstream 75 10/11 Floater

Carron Jetstream 75 10/11 Intermediate

Snowbee 2d 10/11 Sinktip

Snowbee Scandi Spey 10/11 Intermediate

Rio AFS Outbound 10/11 Floater

Ian Gordon 65ft 11/12 Intermediate

Ian Gordon 65ft 11/12 Med Sink

Ian Gordon 65ft 11/12 Fast Sink

Airflo Delta Multi Tip

Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 Floater

Also worth having a look at this site http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi?

Cheers

Dave

cheers dave, that's a kings ransom in lines you have there, yes please give me a shout, i was tempted by the windcutter but the wulfe and snowbee are both pulling my wotsit.

not even considered the partridge before.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

cheers dave, that's a kings ransom in lines you have there, yes please give me a shout, i was tempted by the windcutter but the wulfe and snowbee are both pulling my wotsit.

not even considered the partridge before.

Personally I think the Snowbee 1D or 2D or Partridge lines would suit you better than the Lee Wulf, it takes a decent amount of Spey casting skill to pick up and cast an 80 ft head line, which is also too long really for your neck of the woods on the South Tyne. The Wulf also has a very fine front taper, worse than that on the Snowbee which is great for fishing small flies somewhere like the Aberdeenshire Dee but will prove to be a pain in Autumn on the STyne when you want to fish a bigger/heavier fly unless you chop the tip back a few feet.

Other lines to consider which I have heard good things about but never used are the Bill Drury range of spey lines and the Jock Monteith line. Both of these are supposed to be very good at turning over 10ft polytips which adds to the versatility of the line, especially if its your only one for all conditions.

and that's meant to help....that brings up even more options :D

cheers dave, i think the snowbee 2d may make more sense as you do know the river I fish quite well.... (probably better than me judging from your catch rate)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I don't think you will go far wrong with the Snowbee 2D 10/11.

It might be worth considering the sink tip version, keep an eye on ebay for these as they crop up now and again at good prices.

Its a fairly slow sinking sink tip (almost intermediate speed) and is a go to line on the South when its got a bit extra water in to get the fly down just a touch or to prevent small light flies from skating on the surface in the faster water.

Daves right, the thing to do is to try a few out and find one that suits your style.

Dave, are you a tackle dealer or do you just have a thing about lines :o

I'd flog some of them and buy a car :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Daves right, the thing to do is to try a few out and find one that suits your style.

Dave, are you a tackle dealer or do you just have a thing about lines :o

I'd flog some of them and buy a car :D

Sportsman

They are just the ones on reels ready to go!

Just noticed your from Balmoral. I will be up your way this thursday as i'm fishing Crathie for the day.