Cod, off the menu

barry luxton

There's the key, Barry. It's all guesswork.

Unless they have been able to count each individual fish and can come up with definate figures instead of estimates, all those long and boring documents mean nothing.

Those boring docs according to you come from different sorces and they are all saying the same thing or confirming that there is a problem with the stock if you choose to read or not it's up to you, whatever, not fussed either way. So, according to you, the eu and this country are spending megabucks on guesswork. To me that don't make sense.

Even the nffo refer your guess work as:

The investigations to date have both complemented and supplemented existing scientific advice and contributed to a better understanding of fish stocks and the marine environment.

Unless you know something else. What have you got that is contary then, Long and boring or short and sweet will do. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The investigations to date have both complemented and supplemented existing scientific advice and contributed to a better understanding of fish stocks and the marine environment.

Unless you know something else. What have you got that is contary then, Long and boring or short and sweet will do. :)

yep.

maximum sustainable yield will jump up and bite you, whether you're harvesting fish from a fishery, wood from your forest or trying to live on your savings.

If you take more than the stock can regenerate, the stock will go into decline. Saying that we need exact figures is just burying your head in the sand and hoping the issue will just go away. It won't.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Well, no.

The next census won't tell us exactly how many people there are in the UK but it will be a pretty good guideline. That's all that can ever be achieved with a fish population. You measure catch vs. effort, analyse the composition of the stock and make reasonable estimates. Fishery management isn't a precise science (few are) but that doesn't mean it can be dismissed out of hand as total guesswork.

Yes you bloody well can Glenn!!

I can't under stand, one minuet you believe some dick head fisherman claiming multiple 1000 box hauls of cod just off Whitby, can you possibly understand just how much fish there has to be on the grounds for that to be possible, the next you are agreeing with the EU commission's claim that cod stocks are in serious trouble, so which is it Glenn shed loads or next to nothing?

Every thing in Barry's post is crap, it's the management industry at it's worst and I consider Barry Deas of the NFFO more management industry than fishing industry he is the Leon of the commercial fishermen a meetings and committee junky only difference Barry gets paid.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Yes you bloody well can Glenn!!

I can't under stand, one minuet you believe some dick head fisherman claiming multiple 1000 box hauls of cod just off Whitby, can you possibly understand just how much fish there has to be on the grounds for that to be possible, the next you are agreeing with the EU commission's claim that cod stocks are in serious trouble, so which is it Glenn shed loads or next to nothing?

Slow down a bit.

First - I haven't commented on the '1000 box haul' at all. As I recall, they couldn't land it and it had to cut away, right? So it could have been a massive catch of juveniles, right? Or exaggeration as to the size of the haul? Or a cock-up, or a total fabrication. Whatever. I have never said I believe the story as told.

Second - If you're prepared to believe anecdotes about huge cod catches (that never got on the ship) why would you choose to disbelieve statistics that are based on actual records of catches ?

Makes no sense to me.

And what are your figures?

Any better?

Do you drag 'em up like this, now, with your big fast V8?

codfishing_603283.jpg

or just do the user friendly thing and just strangle the odd dog

gilladog.jpg?

<_<

Hello Ha

I strangle more than just the odd dog, poxy things!! though they are nigh on indestructible and 99.9% survive to annoy me again another day.

Peter nobody said it was 1000 box haul of just cod it was probably a mixture of haddocks, dabs, whitings, and codlings but the sad thing is the bulk of it was allmost small codlings i was talking today with one of the lads off the boat which the skipper requested to the ministry to close the area are down because of the sheer slaughter of small codlings for no good reason that is not pub talk its fact but as he said the damage was allready done that practice in this day and age is nothing short of madness talk of anglers being given log books is laughable given the scale of things.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Slow down a bit.

First - I haven't commented on the '1000 box haul' at all. As I recall, they couldn't land it and it had to cut away, right? So it could have been a massive catch of juveniles, right? Or exaggeration as to the size of the haul? Or a cock-up, or a total fabrication. Whatever. I have never said I believe the story as told.

Second - If you're prepared to believe anecdotes about huge cod catches (that never got on the ship) why would you choose to disbelieve statistics that are based on actual records of catches ?

Makes no sense to me.

Hello Glenn

I have not seen much reference to actual catch records.

It's statements like these that get my blood pressure riseing:

"We are not that far away from a situation of complete collapse," said Jose Rodriguez, a marine biologist with the environmental group Oceana.

Brussels — Cod is slipping closer to disappearing from key European fishing grounds, officials warned Friday, saying that only steep catch cuts will prevent the disappearance of a species prized for centuries for its flaky white flesh.

. The European Commission said recent studies showed cod catches in some areas are far outstripping the rate of reproduction."

When at the same time fishermen are experiencing the opposite and finding it increasingly difficult to ovoid catching cod, that’s a fact I know and see every day I go to work, the sea was full of them last year and this year looks likely to be even better, Fishermen are saying the same all over the North Sea, Why should I not disbelieve them?

Peter nobody said it was 1000 box haul of just cod it was probably a mixture of haddocks, dabs, whitings, and codlings but the sad thing is the bulk of it was allmost small codlings i was talking today with one of the lads off the boat which the skipper requested to the ministry to close the area are down because of the sheer slaughter of small codlings for no good reason that is not pub talk its fact but as he said the damage was allready done that practice in this day and age is nothing short of madness talk of anglers being given log books is laughable given the scale of things.

paul.

Hello Paul

I would have thought that using the minimum mesh size for cod of 120m (5") would result in a pretty clean fishery.

Hello Glenn

I have not seen much reference to actual catch records.

Surely though the commercial boats produce records of weights and sizes?

If these contradict the EU spokesmen, then take it from there. Prove them wrong.

If they confirm what the EU bods are saying then what's your beef?

Basically, saying "it looks all right to me" won't cut the mustard. Vast commercial fisheries - as we all know - have died a horrible death in the past. Don't you think it's wise to tread cautiously?