The European Eel - A species under threat

chrisd1

However, I do not believe that you, as a recreational angler, will suffer any fiscal disadvantage from not taking eels for bait or the pot.

As for Budgie's comments regarding the possible banning of eel fishing due to C&R mortality rates, then I would hope that we (National Anguilla Club) will be able to demonstrate that mortality rates experienced by our members will not impact on the survival of the eel. By working with the organisations that are shaping the future we will be in the right position to do this.

I guess that this post will now result in the usual flurry of requests for evidence of low C&R mortality rates, demands to know what we are doing to achieve a ban on elver fishing, accusations of being condescending and patronising, and a generally negative comment on the AT, men in suits, NGOs, specimen groups and single species clubs. This is always an interesting forum to post on, but I wonder how much more would be achieved if the "cup half empty" regular posters on here put their huge amounts of energy into a more positive approach to the challenges facing angling today.

No I certainly wont be arguing it with you Mark or demanding evidence be it in flurries or total white outs! you know my views but this isn't really the issue.Yes I do hope you would be able to defend it but really hope you dont have to.

Once again my major worry with what you have wrote is this business of actually taking killing eels.Its not what we will all be or are indeed doing in reality its the principle that's important,the choice.Please read my previous post answering Leon if you still dont see what I'm trying to get across.

If you still dont agree then I'm ok with that we can discuss why.But I just get so frustrated when you reply seemingly still thinking that I/we are talking about or actually want to kill eels!Once again hopefully my reply to Leon may explain this more?

As for the "cup half empty" that certainly includes myself! Sadly because I have seen too much of it in the past.Mark your not the first or only person to get involved in angling maybe a few more years will tarnish your enthusiasm as well? However a lot of us "negative" guys still keep looking for something positive and will never stop......were just a lot more cautious who we throw in with now and use our energy for.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe way I read it, as well as the proposed restrictions on anglers; "Further controls on commercial eel fishing are planned by stopping the issue of marine eel licences, reducing the number of freshwater commercial eel licences and toughening up conditions for those that are allowed, and imposing a closed season for commercial eel and elver fishing."

That could mean that no more marine eel licences will be issued, but what about the ones that have already been issued? Are marine eel licences issued annually, or are they issued for life?

The number of freshwater licences being reduced means there will still be some.

Toughening up on conditions for those that are allowed, means what, exactly? It won't be a ban on taking eels, as in the toughening up of conditions that apply to anglers.

And when will the close season be? When the fishermen catch most of their eels, or when there aren't any in the rivers?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

This is always an interesting forum to post on, but I wonder how much more would be achieved if the "cup half empty" regular posters on here put their huge amounts of energy into a more positive approach to the challenges facing angling today.

IMO, you and your ilk are the challenge facing angling today.

If everyone were to follow your lead, we could achieve a total ban on anglers taking Mullet, Cod, Bass, Plaice, Rays, Salmon, Sea Trout etc. etc. etc.

If there's a complete closure of the commercial Eel fishery within the next five years, I'll eat my mouse. The remainder of any fish being harvested, after any restrictions, should always be the preserve of the man fishing for his own dinner!

Yes, why would anyone hunt a critically endangered species?

Here you go, Mark7.

I've found another campaign to sink your teeth into. UK parity on Eel fishing legislation.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotlan...i_20080419_en_1

Thanks Sharkbyte

Chris Daphne, the NAC Environment Officer "sank his teeth into" this (in the nicest possible way, of course)a while ago, with the result that any recreational eel angler can apply for a license, and it will be granted for fishing on a C&R basis. I understand that the minister responsible has also undertaken to change the wording of the instrument to allow recreational C&R angling.

As for your comment "you and your ilk are the challenge facing angling today" then I think you are over reacting a little. This post started out as a plea for anglers not to use eels as bait, and has been seen by the angling anarchist contingent as an attack on their right to fish. More than a little ridiculous, I think!

IMO, you and your ilk are the challenge facing angling today.

If everyone were to follow your lead, we could achieve a total ban on anglers taking Mullet, Cod, Bass, Plaice, Rays, Salmon, Sea Trout etc. etc. etc.

If there's a complete closure of the commercial Eel fishery within the next five years, I'll eat my mouse. The remainder of any fish being harvested, after any restrictions, should always be the preserve of the man fishing for his own dinner!

Superb. The best post I've ever read on a fishing forum. So true.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Thanks Sharkbyte

Chris Daphne, the NAC Environment Officer "sank his teeth into" this (in the nicest possible way, of course)a while ago, with the result that any recreational eel angler can apply for a license, and it will be granted for fishing on a C&R basis. I understand that the minister responsible has also undertaken to change the wording of the instrument to allow recreational C&R angling.

As for your comment "you and your ilk are the challenge facing angling today" then I think you are over reacting a little. This post started out as a plea for anglers not to use eels as bait, and has been seen by the angling anarchist contingent as an attack on their right to fish. More than a little ridiculous, I think!

Unfortunately C+R legislation is now leading to restrictions on anglers taking fish that are not endangered in any way, shape or form. This legislation has been led by the Angling Times, the Angling Trust and is being implemented by the EA. All science suggests that no legislation is required, the EA have admitted such yet the legislation is still being proposed. I notice you have been following the AT forum thread Mark, so you are up to speed.

The general public seems to miss commercial fishing legislation/quotas etc., perhaps because they need food to eat. If angling restrictions come in, be assured more of the non angling public will notice or, be in the right/wrong position to say something should an angler be seen catching an eel/shad/salmon/you get the drift.

An angling ban without a commercial ban is environmentally, politically and ethically wrong in my opinion. I don't take eels for the pot or bait anymore but that is my choice. To allow commercial fishing yet banning "sport", incidental killing or occasional table use is a weak political sop to the political process.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

It's a press release from the Angling Trust.

I can see it on their site now:

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?itemi...ust+Latest+News

Not sure if it was a press release, though. I'm on their press list and haven't received a copy.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

By the way, there's no way that photo is Alan Charlton. I've seen pics of him and he's a lot hairier! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Unfortunately C+R legislation is now leading to restrictions on anglers taking fish that are not endangered in any way, shape or form. This legislation has been led by the Angling Times, the Angling Trust and is being implemented by the EA. All science suggests that no legislation is required, the EA have admitted such yet the legislation is still being proposed. I notice you have been following the AT forum thread Mark, so you are up to speed.

The general public seems to miss commercial fishing legislation/quotas etc., perhaps because they need food to eat. If angling restrictions come in, be assured more of the non angling public will notice or, be in the right/wrong position to say something should an angler be seen catching an eel/shad/salmon/you get the drift.

An angling ban without a commercial ban is environmentally, politically and ethically wrong in my opinion. I don't take eels for the pot or bait anymore but that is my choice. To allow commercial fishing yet banning "sport", incidental killing or occasional table use is a weak political sop to the political process.

Exactly right Worms. When the EA states that the anglers or rsa do not have an impact, linked with an consultation that was hidden from the very anglers that it will have an impact on. Transparent, holistic, Disgusting, more like.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..