MCZ Proposals

Leon Roskilly

That’s interesting Steve, wasn’t it the marine conservation society who (with the help of the co-op) where asking hundreds of thousands of people if the agree with MCZ?

I'm repeating myself here, i don't mind, :D however, it's worse than that. Most of the 'jewels' as this org call them, are protected by the nature of their make up, rock, pinnicles etc. So no trawling or dagging in any event. The agenda of this mcs is to make the majority of them fully protected, ntz. To me and they haven't confirmed it, they will include for no angling, i.e. not take zone.

One of the areas, they tell us that they beleive trawling activity takes place near by. To right it does, it's about half a mile from brixham harbour, the plonkers. :D

They are advertising the fact that they have 100,000 respondents who agree with them. Look at their web site and the yes please, we want it protected is already pre-loaded. If you think angling is to be excluded from their agenda, think again.

In addition, they want 30% of the uk's waters to be ntz. You ok with that. Obviously they have considered not, the effects that it will have on the local communities and jobs etc. It's been suggested that the rsa should speak with them, what for?

Is this the same org that the old nfsa was in bed with. While i'm aware that the other internet warriors Keith Arthur and Jan kappal + co are obviously worried by what is discussed on these forums, i think they aught to look at some of these ngo's and see just what zones they are trying to create for the angler. Wondering if new lot of angling reps the AT are in bed with the mcs.

Quite frankly keith arthur and co, i'm not bovered if your bothered. :) How about considering that the rsa don't want their lot improving, apart from more and bigger fish. So to that end the expession of barking up the wrong tree springs to mind. Talk to defra and the eu, get them to improve their lot, that may make a difference. As for rants, quite healthy discussions in my mind, long may it continue, thank goodness for the internet, as it reaches places that others can't.

Quote:

I become extremely frustrated when those that you mention believe the

Angling Trust have got it all wrong or do nothing. They contribute nothing

financially, physically or constructively towards any argument. There are

more sea angling committees and groups dedicated to sea angling within the

Angling Trust than any other discipline of the sport, and they are working

with what THEY KNOW and have at THEIR DISPOSAL to improve the lot of sea

anglers. They can't be expected to read rants on websites or forums: sea

anglers can only change things from within: if those that don't like it

join up, nominate for the board or one of the committees and then kick

arse but PLEASE stop bleating that they don't like what's happening!

Keith

Do like your post Brian, nice one.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, there is a problem with inshore stocks (I'd go to 200miles in the N Sea).

There will be a big problem over the next 20 years with extra-continental shelf trawling and, of course, with the present pelagic long-lining/drift netting.

From an angler/environmentalist point of view ....

No bottom trawl/dredge/suction fishing inside 12 miles.

(No discard, but quota as necessary).

Static gear (inc rod&line/handline), but 1 - 12 miles only; limited to MLS (shellfish and fin-fish).

Is that too difficult to manage?

And would it help?

<_<

Look, there is a problem with inshore stocks (I'd go to 200miles in the N Sea).

There will be a big problem over the next 20 years with extra-continental shelf trawling and, of course, with the present pelagic long-lining/drift netting.

From an angler/environmentalist point of view ....

No bottom trawl/dredge/suction fishing inside 12 miles.

(No discard, but quota as necessary).

Static gear (inc rod&line/handline), but 1 - 12 miles only; limited to MLS (shellfish and fin-fish).

Is that too difficult to manage?

And would it help?

<_<

That covers the varne bank, so i will vote for it, fished out years ago. Or was it global warming. As long as the french don't come up with historic rights. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

To try and blame one man for the percieved dumping of fish is in my mind a bit daft, its like blaming Guy Fawkes for inventing bonfire night, illogiccal and irrelavent. Yes there would be dumping of fish overboard that would happen anytime regardless of era's or mesh size because whatever the mesh size that was appropriate at the time there would always be some element of unsaleable or undersized among it

I'm no big fan of the big rock hopping boats that grew in the late 70's and into the 80's as in my view they helped destroy a lot of the inshore inshore fleet that used to operate along our coastline but that was then this is now and we have to draw a line under it and move on

The keel boat fleet is now all but gone and what remains is up for sale and we now have a new class of boat the "Super Tens" little pocket battleships that are all engine and gearbox and capable of considerable catch's and they can still tow rockhopping gear

What we need now though is not a lesson in history but someone with a bit of vision who can see into the future and work towards improving on what we've got left and I think it can be done although I don't think that rebranding the SFC'S whilst keeping the same financial structure and make up is the way to go. There needs to be a radical restructuring of the way that Defra sets out the new committees roles and responsibilities and there needs to be a different way of attracting new members onto that committee , one obvious way to do that would be to invite applications from folk who made an expression of interest

Any new committee structure must encompass concerns over direction and policy with regard to both the economic factors of commercial fishing and the growing interest in recreational angling without strangling it and throttling it with beurocrocy and if it means that we have to pay commercial fishermen to stay ashore in the same way we pay farmers for set aside or country stewardship then why not, boats could still make a living albeit subsidised and stocks would be given a chance to recover

Theres lots of things that could be done that would benefit anglers but we have to think outside the box but keep one eye on what we think is our objectives and thats healthier fish stocks and the freedom as anglers to be able to fish for them without restricted practices enforced on us or areas restricted to us in the guise of conservation

Brian nobody is blameing one man all i am trying to say is what actually happend shovelling was an everyday occurance challenge has denide it ever went on which you know and i know it did on a massive scale at times unfortunaltly its still allowed to happen today through september and october spawny time the botom line is brain it should be stopped the powers that be cry about how bad cod stocks are and they still allow the anual slaughter every year.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
To try and blame one man for the percieved dumping of fish is in my mind a bit daft, its like blaming Guy Fawkes for inventing bonfire night, illogiccal and irrelavent. Yes there would be dumping of fish overboard that would happen anytime regardless of era's or mesh size because whatever the mesh size that was appropriate at the time there would always be some element of unsaleable or undersized among it

I'm no big fan of the big rock hopping boats that grew in the late 70's and into the 80's as in my view they helped destroy a lot of the inshore inshore fleet that used to operate along our coastline but that was then this is now and we have to draw a line under it and move on

The keel boat fleet is now all but gone and what remains is up for sale and we now have a new class of boat the "Super Tens" little pocket battleships that are all engine and gearbox and capable of considerable catch's and they can still tow rockhopping gear

What we need now though is not a lesson in history but someone with a bit of vision who can see into the future and work towards improving on what we've got left and I think it can be done although I don't think that rebranding the SFC'S whilst keeping the same financial structure and make up is the way to go. There needs to be a radical restructuring of the way that Defra sets out the new committees roles and responsibilities and there needs to be a different way of attracting new members onto that committee , one obvious way to do that would be to invite applications from folk who made an expression of interest

Any new committee structure must encompass concerns over direction and policy with regard to both the economic factors of commercial fishing and the growing interest in recreational angling without strangling it and throttling it with beurocrocy and if it means that we have to pay commercial fishermen to stay ashore in the same way we pay farmers for set aside or country stewardship then why not, boats could still make a living albeit subsidised and stocks would be given a chance to recover

Theres lots of things that could be done that would benefit anglers but we have to think outside the box but keep one eye on what we think is our objectives and thats healthier fish stocks and the freedom as anglers to be able to fish for them without restricted practices enforced on us or areas restricted to us in the guise of conservation

Hi Brian, again a very good post. If there are any questions that you or anybody else come to that would like to ask me about IFCA, s then I will try my best to answer them for you.

Regarding MCZ there is a section from the guidance on selection and designation of marine conservation zones that states it is not the governments intention to use the new MCZ mechanism as a fisheries management tool since other mechanisms, for example orders made under the sea fish (conservation) act 1967, exist for that purpose.

Commercial species are part of marine ecosystem and some are of recognised conservation importance. These species should be considered for MCZ identification; however MCZ will not aim to restore fish stocks for enhanced commercial exploitation although this may be a consequential benefit.

Regards.

Guest challenge
Brian nobody is blameing one man all i am trying to say is what actually happend shovelling was an everyday occurance challenge has denide it ever went on which you know and i know it did on a massive scale at times unfortunaltly its still allowed to happen today through september and october spawny time the botom line is brain it should be stopped the powers that be cry about how bad cod stocks are and they still allow the anual slaughter every year.

paul.

Look your starting to get on my nerves just a tad now Paul. What I am saying (and I am saying it because I was there) is that I never shovelled tons of undersize codlings over the side as discard. I was there Paul you where not. You believe what ever takes you’re fancy, why change a habbit of a lifetime. But don’t make me out to be a liar like you have reputedly done on this subject of discarding undersize codlings.

So let’s just agree to disagree shall we.

Edited by challenge

What I am saying (and I am saying it because I was there) is that I never shovelled tons of undersize codlings over the side as discard. I was there Paul you where not.

Yes, but ...

(of course ONE man didn't have an effect on stocks ... )

old, but heart-warming ....

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/distrikt/NDHO/verdi/66569

Confess now!

B)

Look your starting to get on my nerves just a tad now Paul. What I am saying (and I am saying it because I was there) is that I never shovelled tons of undersize codlings over the side as discard. I was there Paul you where not. You believe what ever takes you’re fancy, why change a habbit of a lifetime. But don’t make me out to be a liar like you have reputedly done on this subject of discarding undersize codlings.

So let’s just agree to disagree shall we.

Cefas survey with abbeylee approx 2002 389 codling in 2 hour tow 93 discarded you denide black fish ever existed you also denide blinders ever existed i dont tell liars its not in my nature discards did go on a massive scale at times john nothing to be gained by telling porks my last post on the subject its getting boring.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes, but ...

(of course ONE man didn't have an effect on stocks ... )

old, but heart-warming ....

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/distrikt/NDHO/verdi/66569

Confess now!

B)

Don't think you will get an english confession H A. What with bertie doing his own thing and the scottish devolved parliament, look very closly at the video again and what do you see above the scupper. Yes, it's called a scottish flag. Get it right. :)