Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

Well just got back from Ashford via Southampton via Ashford :rolleyes:

I travel down to Ashford to stay a few days with Budgie ready for the AnglersNet River Itchen Fish Ins.

I had an early Sunday night and had a good night despite been woken up a few times in the night. I got out of bed at 4am and make sure that Budgie was up as well. I knew it been raining in Ashford in the night and I feared the worst for the Itchen.

We left the house after I loaded the range rover with our fishing tackle for the day at 4.45am and in no time we were on the motorway. Normally Budgie is ok on the motorway but on the last two Anglernet fish ins he been having some abnormal craving for coffee,(don't normally drink coffee at home!) peperami and even our fishing sandwiches! :rolleyes: Strange brother I got! :P

We arrived the the Itchen fishery at 7.30 and (sorry chaps :D ) it was my idea to tell budgie to park the range rover at the top entrance ready for the so called gran prix of swims! :D As getting out of the range rover it was a normal group of chit chat and even a group photo of the early raiser!

At 8am we made our way to the journey to the top end of the car park. As we were going along my thought was the river was way up and likely to burst its banks and was very coloured indeed but we all have to give it go what ever the cost!

I knew it was going to be hard, but was well away to my favorite spot as from previous past outing to the Itchen. But on the way making to the swim I even manage to stuck in the mud and gratefully didn't get wet feet!

After getting all my fishing tackle ready in my swim I knew it was going to be the feeder again (even had the centre pin/loafer float set up) My bait for the day was 2 pints of red maggots and a small tin of sweetcorn. Then all of sudden that started to feel dizzy and really wanted to lie down. So really went talking up to Budgie asking for the car keys and by the time I got to budgie. I never did get the car key and went back to my swim and sat down for a bit having a sip of diet coke and a couple packet of crisp! :rolleyes: By 10 am I felt ok and was giving it a try to fish on.

In my past experience of grayling fishing with the feeder rod was cast into the slacker water. Well trying to find a slacker current in the among the fast water was not that easy!

After a couple of hours gone by with nothing to show for, and seeing and chatting a few fellow members, I really got down to it. I scale down the hooklenght and even the hook size and (even changing the hook pattern that I be using for the last five months since wining the Winghan Fishing Match).

On went on a size 16 hook with a 15 inch hooklenght of 1.7lb breaking strain. This was cast into the slack water and with the quivertip rod up high to keep out most of the line out of the water. The quivertip end was moving about due to the wind guest as I was in a open area! (it was cold sometimes) a few knock was easily seen but hard to hard due to the wind movement on the tip. I few knocks later, I was rewarded a small grayling of 6ozs and was happy to see that.

A few cast later I hit a good fish after seeing the tip move and I really hit the rod hard and when the fish came to the surface I knew straight Away to play it cool as it was light nick in the top lip of the fish. The fish tried to gain it freedom into diving into the fast turbulence water but managed to net it in time.

I didn't bother to weight it but took a photograph of it.

biggraylingItchen22-02-2010-1.jpg

I was really happy with that fish and managed to carry fish for another hour and nothing happen, so fecided to pack up ready to go back to the fishery entrance/car park for another chat.

I would like to say a big thanks to KAYC for organising the day out, it is much appreciated

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to all that caught although obviously it was the taking part that counts the most! Would love to be involved in the next fish in.

Certainly agree that 2 trips to the LI would be a good call.

I second all the above comments.

As regards two trips - perhaps one in autumn and one winter?

I will try and arrange a fish-in one of these days, perhaps next year I'll help with one of these.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Hmmmm you kept those quiet! :D

I did tell you if you wanted some but as usual you never answer me! :P

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Quote Arbocop Very nice fishery, a bad day to sample it! Still the comararderie was very good, particualrly with Statler and Waldorf (JV44 and Rusty

Oi!! I Resemble that comment..... :lol:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Quote Arbocop Very nice fishery, a bad day to sample it! Still the comararderie was very good, particualrly with Statler and Waldorf (JV44 and Rusty

Oi!! I Resemble that comment..... :lol:

Not sure which is which - but there is a certain likeness. "The fishings terrible, rubbish. I've never seen anything like it - It wasn't that bad, actually I liked it hurrah etc." statler_waldorf.jpg

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

There as no double act going on we were both moaning about it :lol: ,See Rusty i told you not to give him that Sausage bap the Guy is a Cad and a Bounder ..... No wait thats me for catching a Grayling on the tip ;)

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Well, sorry to drop this on the Itchen thread but it's quicker than a new one!

The Lugg wasn't producing numbers of fish today. I hooked three grayling and landed two. I also hooked a salmon smolt which zig-zagged all over and leapt (which was when I realised what it was). A bit of slack line and it unhooked itself.

First was about a pound (below) second grayling was about 1 1/2 but I lost it at the net

1lblugggrayling.jpg

The third was spot on 2lb!

2lblugggrayling.jpg

All on trotted maggot. :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well, sorry to drop this on the Itchen thread but it's quicker than a new one!

The Lugg wasn't producing numbers of fish today. I hooked three grayling and landed two. I also hooked a salmon smolt which zig-zagged all over and leapt (which was when I realised what it was). A bit of slack line and it unhooked itself.

First was about a pound (below) second grayling was about 1 1/2 but I lost it at the net

1lblugggrayling.jpg

The third was spot on 2lb!

2lblugggrayling.jpg

All on trotted maggot. :D

Worms well done great fishing ,you do realise Arbocop is going to throw himself off a very high building after reading this :lol:;) Steve.