Catch and release.

Guest challenge

There seams to be a lot talked about catch and release on different forums at the moment.

If some kind of catch and release was introduced (and I am certainly not saying that it will be) what would be acceptable to the average angler?

Now is it about the fish? or is it about the right to fish that seams to be annoying so many people.

Regards.

There seems to be a great deal of discussion on different forums about how Joe Public can possibly afford the glut of public sector employees, come 2010.

How much does it cost us per year to employ you?

If we introduced a series of staged pay reductions and redundancies, would that be acceptable to the average SFC employee?

Is it about the money, or the right to secure employment for life?

You've got some cheek!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
There seems to be a great deal of discussion on different forums about how Joe Public can possibly afford the glut of public sector employees, come 2010.

How much does it cost us per year to employ you?

If we introduced a series of staged pay reductions and redundancies, would that be acceptable to the average SFC employee?

Is it about the money, or the right to secure employment for life?

You've got some cheek!

Hi shark byte.

There have been SFC employees since the late 1800,s so what is your point?

My salary review for last year meant that I (like millions of others in the public sector) took a pay increase that was actually much lower than inflation and therefore we like many others took a pay cut. I certainly have seen no evidence to suggest that 2010 will be any different or maybe you know something that we and our unions don’t .

Regards.

Hi shark byte.

There have been SFC employees since the late 1800,s so what is your point?

My salary review for last year meant that I (like millions of others in the public sector) took a pay increase that was actually much lower than inflation and therefore we like many others took a pay cut. I certainly have seen no evidence to suggest that 2010 will be any different or maybe you know something that we and our unions don’t .

Regards.

Anglers have been keeping / returning fish for millennia, without detriment to the overall state of fish stocks. What's your point?

Some anglers may have kept all their fish last year, it's likely that some threw them all back. Some years we catch plenty, some years we catch fewer. That's the way it has always been.

I, along with hundreds of thousands of other anglers, have no evidence to suggest that 2010 onwards needs be any different............unless you, your SFC, or DEFRA know something different, or are simply looking to stoke up the gravy train a wee bit more?

Guest challenge
Anglers have been keeping / returning fish for millennia, without detriment to the overall state of fish stocks. What's your point?

Some anglers may have kept all their fish last year, it's likely that some threw them all back. Some years we catch plenty, some years we catch fewer. That's the way it has always been.

I, along with hundreds of thousands of other anglers, have no evidence to suggest that 2010 onwards needs be any different............unless you, your SFC, or DEFRA know something different, or are simply looking to stoke up the gravy train a wee bit more?

And I as an angler with all those anglers you talk about agree.

So why the original post?

There seams to be a lot talked about catch and release on different forums at the moment.

If some kind of catch and release was introduced (and I am certainly not saying that it will be) what would be acceptable to the average angler?

Now is it about the fish? or is it about the right to fish that seams to be annoying so many people.

Regards.

Whats annoying a lot of peole john is that most of the anglers who have fished around these parts get annoyed when people start talking about bag limits ,bag limits with anglers is a diversion away from the real reason why there should be ever mentioned in first place if an anglers wants to return a fish alive he will and take great joy that the fish has actually swam off ALIVE but bag limits with anglers who know whats what is nothing short of an insult those who talk about bag limits in the sea obviously havent got a tiny weanie bit of knowledge or to put bluntly ingorant as to the fact about what has gone on and still goes on off this coast.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
Whats annoying a lot of peole john is that most of the anglers who have fished around these parts get annoyed when people start talking about bag limits ,bag limits with anglers is a diversion away from the real reason why there should be ever mentioned in first place if an anglers wants to return a fish alive he will and take great joy that the fish has actually swam off ALIVE but bag limits with anglers who know whats what is nothing short of an insult those who talk about bag limits in the sea obviously have got a tiny weanie bit of knowledge or to put bluntly ingorant as to the fact about what has gone on and still goes on off this coast.

There’s a lot of people on here Paul with a lot of knowledge and experience as there is throughout the world who are prepared to talk about C&R doesn’t mean that they agree with it but I believe that it is good to discuss it. Would you be against it totally then Paul? If fishing returned to what it was in the seventy’s or early eighties would you then be prepared to return a percentage of your catch?

Regards.

If fishing returned to what it was in the seventy’s or early eighties would you then be prepared to return a percentage of your catch?

Regards.

If I catch something in the sea that someone/something can eat, then I am going to take it home. If future legislation makes me a poacher for doing so, then so be it, it's still going home. What do Trigger Fish taste like?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

If I catch something in the sea that someone/something can eat, then I am going to take it home. If future legislation makes me a poacher for doing so, then so be it, it's still going home. What do Trigger Fish taste like?

As I see it Jim that is part of the problem, (especially in freshwater). Those who have taken fish legally (and with consideration for species and numbers), in the past, will now have to give up or act illegally. Where as those that acted illegally before, will carry on regardless.

I realise that the situation is different for salt and fresh water anglers, and I don't know enough about the salt water problems to feel able to comment fully, but what I've written is certainly true for fresh water anglers.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think that if an angler wants to release the fish he catches, he should be allowed to. Any rule that prevents an angler from releasing fish is unnecessary and unacceptable, in my opinion.

Just the same as any rule which prevents an angler from taking fish home to eat is unnecessary and unacceptable.

Anglers should be able to use their own judgement, much like they do now, (except where busy bodies have meddled).

Tell you what, why not leave things as they are? That would be acceptable to me.

I'm in the last paragrapth's camp. The rsa ain't broke, why spend our money trying to fix it then. So the buropratts, europratts, who hive a living off rules and regs and their hangers on, slip away quietly, now wouldn't that be a new years resolution worth sticking to. As and when evidence is produced (pigs may fly first) then return and look at the 'problem' can't say more fair enough than that.

Trigger fish, hang on i will try and find some recipies. :)

I do practice catch and release, when it suits me and not when it suits the suits. Can i live with that, not half.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

There’s a lot of people on here Paul with a lot of knowledge and experience as there is throughout the world who are prepared to talk about C&R doesn’t mean that they agree with it but I believe that it is good to discuss it. Would you be against it totally then Paul? If fishing returned to what it was in the seventy’s or early eighties would you then be prepared to return a percentage of your catch?

Regards.

If the stocks ever returned to what they were like the 70ss the ports like whitby ,bridlington, hartlepool would be booming and have hugh charterangling fleets that would bring many thousands of pounds into the local economys shore fishing would once again be very enjoyable experience as many anglers can go weeks shore fishing and never see a cod going back you could litterally walk on cod off this coast the sea was full with cod,haddock, even spur dogs hadnt been fished out they were even common you used to catch large plaice down at bridlington on rod and line where has it all gone and why rod and line fishing is we all know is sustainable anglers DONT HAVE DISCARDS i can personally remember stood on whitby beach down at upgange in the 70ss i lived not far from upgange many a night i stood on that beach and it was fish after fish codling between 1lb upto 5 of 6 lb all the small fish i returned ALIVE and they swam off then i would look out to sea and see a dozen or so trawlers going up and down inside the 2 mile in them days it was 80ml codends discards were obscene at times if cod were to return to the levels of what they were in the 70ss what anglers take wouldnt amount to blip to the fisherie now if yo said you had to return all the cod under 3lb say 20cm now that would be a good idea they could be returned alive an live to grow into a much larger fish if only the trawlers could have done the same what do you think.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg