Catch and release.

Guest challenge

Guest challenge
If the stocks ever returned to what they were like the 70ss the ports like whitby ,bridlington, hartlepool would be booming and have hugh charterangling fleets that would bring many thousands of pounds into the local economys shore fishing would once again be very enjoyable experience as many anglers can go weeks shore fishing and never see a cod going back you could litterally walk on cod off this coast the sea was full with cod,haddock, even spur dogs hadnt been fished out they were even common you used to catch large plaice down at bridlington on rod and line where has it all gone and why rod and line fishing is we all know is sustainable anglers DONT HAVE DISCARDS i can personally remember stood on whitby beach down at upgange in the 70ss i lived not far from upgange many a night i stood on that beach and it was fish after fish codling between 1lb upto 5 of 6 lb all the small fish i returned ALIVE and they swam off then i would look out to sea and see a dozen or so trawlers going up and down inside the 2 mile in them days it was 80ml codends discards were obscene at times if cod were to return to the levels of what they were in the 70ss what anglers take wouldnt amount to blip to the fisherie now if yo said you had to return all the cod under 3lb say 20cm now that would be a good idea they could be returned alive an live to grow into a much larger fish if only the trawlers could have done the same what do you think.

paul.

I am in the leave me alone camp Paul. In the 70,s I was taking anglers to sea, there was plenty of fish with plenty of anglers chasseing it. Don’t think I would have liked to of told some of them miners “sorry lads 10 fish and that’s your lot” Joe Gormley would have had them out on strike the following Monday.

Regards

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would some kind of bag limitation on certain species make a difference? Would it make a difference to that spices recovery or even a difference to the angler trying to catch that spices?

Probably not, which is why I think that compulsory catch and release is rather a pointless exercise. If we use cod as an example, as has been suggested by the powers that be. If all sea anglers in the UK suddenly decided to nip over to your side of the coast to catch their bag limit every week for a year then the discards of the current commercial fleet would probably exceed that in a week.

If a fish is thought to be in serious decline what the feck are we doing sending a commercial fleet out for it? Limiting anglers to catch and release/bag limits is rather stupid whilst fish are being trawled by the ton.

My main consideration regarding fish numbers (or any animal come to that) is to ensure that breeding grounds are protected during the peak spawning season. If a fish is in decline then protection of spawning and nursery grounds is most important. Keep the commercials away from them.

Anglers have size limits to fish to and most anglers use personal limits well above the 'official' ones, returning an obviously gravid fish would make sense and is something commonly practiced in game fishing.....even though not compulsory.

Let’s take for example the part of the world that I am from. North east coast. There is some great angling achievable in this part of the world. But like most fisheries it depends on the weather and the time of year.

What could possible be achieved by implementing some kind of licensing scheme or bag limitation?

None really. The problem is though that RSAs and freshwater anglers don't have a voice. It is easy for the powers that be to slap restrictions on a large group of individuals such as anglers that can't respond. They can then use those restrictions to show off and say "look we've done something"

As you know I've been party to a number of these political threads. It is interesting to see that more freshwater anglers are getting involved now. We're getting more voices together already....shout louder!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest challenge

Probably not, which is why I think that compulsory catch and release is rather a pointless exercise. If we use cod as an example, as has been suggested by the powers that be. If all sea anglers in the UK suddenly decided to nip over to your side of the coast to catch their bag limit every week for a year then the discards of the current commercial fleet would probably exceed that in a week.

Hi worms.

If all the sea anglers where to nip over to this part of the world then I am afraid to say that the total quota that is given to a large proportion of commercial fishermen to catch cod in this part of the world would be exhausted by those same anglers in much less time than the year you are suggesting. But then this is all hypothetical worms.

Coming from an angler’s point of view, I don’t think that we should be concerned about what we can catch at the moment but where we can catch it.

regards.

As you know I've been party to a number of these political threads. It is interesting to see that more freshwater anglers are getting involved now. We're getting more voices together already....shout louder!

I don't get involved as much as I should Nick, the brick wall seems to be getting harder with each attempt, and despondency creeps in at times.

I feel guilty reading Steves posts on the AT forum, I'm almost tempted to join to try and give him some back up. (Having said that though, he is much better at putting the point across, that I feel I might be more of a hindrance than a help).

On the subject of the AT forum, the more I read the comments of the AT representatives, the more I feel like getting a badge with the slogan, 'THE ANGLING TRUST DOESN"T REPRESENT ME' emblazoned across it!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't get involved as much as I should Nick, the brick wall seems to be getting harder with each attempt, and despondency creeps in at times.

I feel guilty reading Steves posts on the AT forum, I'm almost tempted to join to try and give him some back up. (Having said that though, he is much better at putting the point across, that I feel I might be more of a hindrance than a help).

On the subject of the AT forum, the more I read the comments of the AT representatives, the more I feel like getting a badge with the slogan, 'THE ANGLING TRUST DOESN"T REPRESENT ME' emblazoned across it!

John.

Hi John,

Yes, I was so nearly tempted to put my £20 worth in.........perhaps that's why they started the forum? With some of those attitudes they could double the membership in no time with anglers queuing up to join just to let off steam!

I bet Elton has some cheap t-shirt printing contacts :P

Nick.

p.s. If the AT opened up their forum to the public they'd probably get feedback from a lot of anglers who don't agree with some of the AT's decisions/views. You know, those anglers that the AT are supposed to represent. Opening the forum up would at least give the majority a voice that the AT should be listening to.

Sorry Challenge, :offtopic:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

John.

I'm going to have to agree with this post. For what it's worth Worms this is what you are shouting at. It's a brick wall, no one at home is listening, they can hear you though. What do you recon on the home made jellied eel's demise? The new rule gives the EA the right to board you and check to make sure that even the dead and dying eel is thrown back. They are also saying that they have wide support from the angling community, wondering who that is? B)

Keep up the good work Steve. :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm going to have to agree with this post. For what it's worth Worms this is what you are shouting at. It's a brick wall, no one at home is listening, they can hear you though.

John's actually being very modest Barry, he shouts quite a lot himself and has done some sterling work regarding the coarse fish debacle on here and other fora!

I know what you mean though :(

If all the sea anglers where to nip over to this part of the world then I am afraid to say that the total quota that is given to a large proportion of commercial fishermen to catch cod in this part of the world would be exhausted by those same anglers in much less time than the year you are suggesting. But then this is all hypothetical worms

regards.

John i think you need to have a walk on the peir or on the beach mate i think you would be in for shock as to just how many cod anglers actually catch from the shore these days for anglers catching all the cod quota that is pie in the sky and as for bag limits if you mentioned the word it think a lot of them probably wouldnt have second thoughts about throwing you in the sea.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
If all the sea anglers where to nip over to this part of the world then I am afraid to say that the total quota that is given to a large proportion of commercial fishermen to catch cod in this part of the world would be exhausted by those same anglers in much less time than the year you are suggesting. But then this is all hypothetical worms

regards.

John i think you need to have a walk on the peir or on the mate i think you would be in for shock as for anglers catching all the cod quota and as for bag limits if you mentioned it think a lot of them would throw you in the sea.

paul.

I think that you should read the post a bit more carefully before you reply Paul.

As for bag limits and throwing me in the sea? If I was the one screaming for bag limits I would expect to be thrown in the sea in this part of the world. As I pointed out Paul, I am in your camp regards to the thread. Unfortunately we are not the one who makes the decisions. All I wanted to do with this thread was to get peoples opinions on a subject that won’t be tolerated on other forums.

Anyway all the best for 2010 hope that you and everybody else connected with the sea has a prosperous and enjoyable new year.

Regards.

With the mess that we are in, economically, who is going to pay for all this extra bureaucracy that some people want?

Extra non-productive jobs don't pay enough tax to pay their own salaries.

Excellent poit that and very true, but it might all depend upon who wins the next ellection, the spend our way out of recession camp or the cut public services camp. I know where my vote will go

Bye Gordon