JRC Contact Bivvy

smalltincup

Hi All

Am in the market for a new bivvy , have been looking at the Chub cyfish mk2 1 man, the JRC STI Twin skin 1 man, and the JRC Defender twin skin. However in my fishing Mag i have seen the JRC Contact Bivvy. What i need to know is has any one seen one in action or have they used one, also can you get an overwrap. I only go fishing once every 2-3 months so do not need a top notch piece of kit but I wsant something that has a good degree of comfort, hence the other three bivvies.

Any info on the contact wouold be great, gunna pop down to the local fishing shop later but wanted to try here first.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Am in the market for a new bivvy , have been looking at the Chub cyfish mk2 1 man, the JRC STI Twin skin 1 man, and the JRC Defender twin skin. However in my fishing Mag i have seen the JRC Contact Bivvy. What i need to know is has any one seen one in action or have they used one, also can you get an overwrap. I only go fishing once every 2-3 months so do not need a top notch piece of kit but I wsant something that has a good degree of comfort, hence the other three bivvies.

Any info on the contact wouold be great, gunna pop down to the local fishing shop later but wanted to try here first.

STC

Hi man the jrc contact has had a few bad reports on other sites ,

i have not had any personal dealing with this bivvy ,

i have a jrc sti 1 man a top piece of kit however i would advise you to go for the 2 man version there is

a lot more room better still look www.bivvies.co.uk/ then read this

the following has been copy/paste from an other site btw steve is a well known and trusted angler down south ,

HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT BIVVY

Let me start by saying there’s no such thing as a perfect bivvy. As with many purchases it’s all a matter of compromises. What’s best for me, my style of fishing and the venues I fish won’t necessarily be best for you.

Here are a few of the questions to ask yourself before deciding what to buy, some obvious, others you may not have thought of.

How long does it take and how easy is it to set up and dismantle? If it's hissing down this can be pretty important! Also the easier it is to take up and down the more likely you are to move to fish you see feeding.

Will the inner get wet if you're setting up in the rain (a problem with many tents and a few bivvies)?

Is there an inner in fact? This reduces condensation but increases weight.

How heavy is it? Here, how far you’ve got to walk to your swim is obviously important. Also consider the shape for transportation. For instance will it go into your rod holdall, or will you need a barrow. If the latter, are there any stiles or fences to get over?

How roomy is it? Will it take all your gear? Remember you’ll need a lot more for a week long session than an overnighter. However a big bivvy may not fit in tight swims.

How much visibility does it give so that you can watch the water and/or your indicators? For many non-carp anglers in particular this can be vital. Front windows and a see-through door are very useful here.

How quick and easy is it to get out of in a hurry? Is the door fiddly to open, especially at night? Is there a pronounced lip you could fall over?

How mossie proof is it? On some waters this can make the difference between comfort and hell!

How cool is it in the summer (most bivvies get really hot then)? The thinner the material, especially if there’s only one skin, the worse the heat will be. Good ventilation, or better still rear windows or a second exit in the rear are very useful here. So is extra headroom and a vent in the ceiling.

How warm is it in the winter? Obviously a heavier material will help here but will add weight. The answer may be an extra skin just for winter use. However bear in mind these rarely have windows so visibility may be restricted.

How does it stand up to strong winds? Is it stable enough? Some lightweight bivvies simply aren’t up to gale force weather. Talking of winds, does the bivvy rustle and flap in the wind? Those with a central roof vent do when the waterproof cover to protect the vent goes on.

How easy is it to keep clean? Here a groundsheet or an inner that can be taken out for washing can be a blessing.

These are by no means all the factors you need to consider. However I hope they enable you make a better choice as to what’s right for you.

I’ll leave you with just one final bit of advice. When you do buy your next bivvy do have a trial run setting it up in the garden. The time spent will be more than saved on the bankside and won't spoil your fishing trip.

This I’ve learnt from bitter experience!

Steve Burke

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

As usual I have to agree with the Burkester!

I know nothing about the Contact I'm afraid STC but I can thoroughly recommend the JRC STi Brolly.First bit of kit in many years that I "had to have" after trying one.Had mine for four (?) years I think now with no problems what so ever.Ive had the over wrap for it as well for a while now but not felt the need to use it.My sessions over the last few years have been quite short at normally three nights max due to my health but Ive no reason to think it wouldn't perform any differently over longer.

Quick to set up,variable heights/widths (different conditions/swims) totally rain proof (get a bit of condensation though but my bruv who uses the over wrap with his says it stops it) plenty big enough for me and my massive bedchair! Only "fault" is that in common with most "pram hood" style bivvies getting it back in its bag at the end of a session is like trying to put a condom over a prize winning marrow!

Also have a look at Eltons AN Bivvy site for reviews etc-

http://www.bivvies.co.uk/

and these may be of some use as well

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Bivvies...rellas-f60.html

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you don't need it before you could always come to the Wingham Fish In this year as there is always a good variety of bivvies set up there you could have a look at and play with?

Or take a walk around a local busy session carp water? Actually looking at a bivy with a load of gear in it is the only way I can ever comprehend the sizes as empty ones in shops just look huge and the specs given in the advertising blurb mean nothing to me!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the following has been copy/paste from an other site btw steve is a well known and trusted angler down south ,

LOL Not only do I own that site, but Steve Burke is one of the best known posters on these forums and host of the annual Anglers' Net fish-in at his Wingham fishery :) I must commend you on your excellent choice of reference article :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've seen the JRC STI brollies, and they are very good. A very similar alternative (almost identical in fact!) is the Trakker A-Lite.

I accidentally bought the JRC STI Twin Skin before getting an A-Lite. It looked very well made and very spacious, but it weighed an absolute ton and packed into an enormous bag. Unless you can drop your gear off right next to a swim, I would advise against it. Also, you have to use it with the wrap on - without it, there are big mesh panels that let wind and rain in.

With the STI brolly or the A-lite you have lots more flexibility. Plus they are very quick and easy to erect and put away (the A-Lite packs back into its bag easily), lots of room, and very stable indeed.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thats interesting about the STI may not bother with that one, not to bothered about weight but it is good to know. If I had the money i would look at the A lite but do not have the pound coins . Have been looking at the Chub cyfish MK2 one man.

Cheers again.

the sti might be heavy for some folk but the quality is ace weight about 14 kg

i don't use a barrow i carry it with all of my gear mostly in 1 lift thats 3 rod inc reels rod pod brolly 2 tackle boxes scales in holdall/ / xl carryall/ bait bag landing net /unhooking mat/ grub bag bed chair and chair and can walk with out a rest for about 800 yards if required

take the weight of the bivvy across the shoulders and the rest of the gear hanging from arms and chest total weight about 45 kg not that much.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I have a barrow, so not to bothered about weight. The sti again looking a real possibility. Gunna pop down to the local tackle shop later.

Cheers

STC