Pit reel

Rigg'd

If it doesn't mention baitrunner, then I'd pretty much guarantee it doesn't have one. Most of the big pit reels don't - which is one of the reasons I stopped using the ones I bought and bought the shimano big pit baitrunenrs (or whatever they're called).

Rob.

and so how do you fish with them?

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original Daiwa Emblems and also the Shimano Biomasters are excellent reels which have stood the test of time. You can use them at long range by just slackening off the spool but if you really want a baitrunner function just add a conversion to the spool. Long range reels can take some welly and need to be reliable with good cranking power and in my own opinion it is a question of function over form. For all my long range fishing I still use my original Daiwa 5000zs which are nice and compact and the Biomasters/Aerlexes for spod and marker work although I would have no problem in using the latter for fishing. You can spend a hell of lot on reels which give very little if anything which justifies the additional cost.

No mention of line capacity, reel weight, retrieve ratio, or quite a bit of other info I'd consider critical.

I'd also be wary of any reel advertised as "perfect for everything from distance casting to stalking in the margins".

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No mention of line capacity, reel weight, retrieve ratio, or quite a bit of other info I'd consider critical.

I'd also be wary of any reel advertised as "perfect for everything from distance casting to stalking in the margins".

should i stick to a free spool reel as normal?

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

OK lets take a step back. What do you want the reel for, what distances do you intend fishing at ? Also what line do you use (and need it to hold) ? Then what other features should said reel have ?

From that, you can then home in on some options.

Rob.

OK lets take a step back. What do you want the reel for, what distances do you intend fishing at ? Also what line do you use (and need it to hold) ? Then what other features should said reel have ?

From that, you can then home in on some options.

Rob.

Fish a variety of lakes, all fishing fine distance and no problems, but i fish also at thorpe lea fishery and in the summer i have no hope in hell of catching fish in the 6ft bars i fish in; it's the 3-4ft gravel bar in the middlee i would like to attempt to reach!! and my current reels cant. 15lbish line, baitrunner, drag system (obviously), smooth action ect. but i can't afford hundredS!

My PB's

I'm looking at getting 2 pit reels for carp fishing but dont want to spend hundreds and I have found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TFG-Power-Distance-B...=item5ad5bf6960

what do you think?

http://www.thorpeleafishery.co.uk/location.php

you can almost see the gravel bar running across the middle

My PB's

You don't need a bait runner mechanism to fish.Caught plenty by "churning"! If you "must" have it there are a few different conversion kits out there for both the Shimano and Daiwa big reels.

At this stage I would say my preference would go to good second hand rather than new (TFG.Whychood etc) crap.

Big Pit reels are pigs to fish with they are big heavy and bulky just like any beach fishing reel (which is basically what they are) The one good thing about them (providing you choose the right one!) is a large wide/long spool which makes casting a lot easier with the now standard 15lbs mainlines used by carp anglers.The days of a carp anglers Long Distance Casting set up consisting of an 8lb mainline and heavy shock leader seem to have gone, A good line lay is also very important.

Also think very carefully about fishing over bars to reach other bars.A recipe for disaster if they are sharp and shallower than the water past them.Think if you can some how get to the area you want without crossing them.Usually quite possible as Ive never found a pit with circular bars yet!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'd be wary of thinking that by replacing your normal baitrunner type reels with big pits you'll suddenly be able to cast an extra 50 yards. Depending on what rods you're using, you may even find that you can't cast as far! As Budgie said, they're horrible to fish with, weigh a ton and quickly unbalance your set-up.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago where someone compared distance casting with the same rod but once with normal baitrunners and then with big pits. He actually cast slightly further on average with the baitrunners.

I use big pits on my marker and spod rods. I use a 3lb tc distance carp rod and a big pit (Daiwa Emblem) with 15lb line to cast a marker set-up of a 3oz lead and the float, and I've yet to get that to a distance that I can't then cast a 2oz lead on 10lb line with a 1.75lb tc rod to!

Assuming your current reels are decent and balance your rods, I'd spend some time simply practicing casting, perhaps with a shockleader and lighter mainline and more streamlined rigs, and save your money :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music