maggots

Klaus

no jewish ones then that's a bit "ist" :D

You have me bang to rites! Gentles somehow transmorgified into gentiles. Homygod - I've transformed an old fashioned term for maggots (gentles) into a non Israeli tribe. :blink:

They're still in the £2.50 to £3.50 mark though...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round this area "Lancashire" all the shops I frequent charge between £2 and £2.20 per pint which I thought was pretty expensive but looking at other posts it isn't at all.

Well I would'nt mind moving to lancs at those prices, just a bit tooo far to commute for a coupla pintsa maggots.

Next question

Whats the longest anyones managed to keep them going before they turn to nasty almost black :yucky: casters. about 2 and half weeks I had some, a few were light brown casters :) and mostly sweaty ammonia smelling maggots but still caught with them.

Klaus

Well I would'nt mind moving to lancs at those prices, just a bit tooo far to commute for a coupla pintsa maggots.

Next question

Whats the longest anyones managed to keep them going before they turn to nasty almost black :yucky: casters. about 2 and half weeks I had some, a few were light brown casters :) and mostly sweaty ammonia smelling maggots but still caught with them.

Klaus

Erm...that reminds me...better have a look in the shed soon! I think I have a box-full 'maturing' nicely.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Next question

Klaus

I've had them stay in decent useable nick for 8wks in a frigo. I have some in the frigo at the minuite from just after crimbo and there's only a few changed to casters ( it's good to have tha casters mixed in though, even the black floaters). I suppose it depends on how fresh they are when you get em. A guide to their freshness is the size of the black blob behind the pointy end of the maggot, the bigger the blob the fresher they are. I think the blob is food by the way.

Round this area "Lancashire" all the shops I frequent charge between £2 and £2.20 per pint which I thought was pretty expensive but looking at other posts it isn't at all.

Are they cheaper still in Yorkshire ? :o

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've had them stay in decent useable nick for 8wks in a frigo. I have some in the frigo at the minuite from just after crimbo and there's only a few changed to casters ( it's good to have tha casters mixed in though, even the black floaters). I suppose it depends on how fresh they are when you get em. A guide to their freshness is the size of the black blob behind the pointy end of the maggot, the bigger the blob the fresher they are. I think the blob is food by the way.

Like you I keep some maggots on the go in my fridge all autumn/winter. I regular ritual is ti buy a pint or so on the way BACK from trips for the following week. £2.80 a pint at my local.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog