Hello from South Somerset

Leveller

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I fish for pleasure, I love summer stalking Chub on the isle, winter Pike fishing on the Levels and waggler fishing local stillwaters through the closed river season I like to keep things simple with regards to tackle and tactics however I do own 1 electronic bite indicator :D

Look forward to reading what everyones upto on here.

2eb62xv.jpg

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I fish for pleasure, I love summer stalking Chub on the isle, winter Pike fishing on the Levels and waggler fishing local stillwaters through the closed river season I like to keep things simple with regards to tackle and tactics however I do own 1 electronic bite indicator :D

Look forward to reading what everyones upto on here.

Hi Leveller, its nice to have someone online from so near to me. I also fish the isle, dillington pond, Thorney lakes and Somerton Viaduct. Ive only fished the isle once in winter and had no luck, how do you like to fish it?? DD

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Welcome to Anglers' Net.

I think simple is good as well and you own one more electronic bite indicator than I do.

However, in fairness it must be said that I mostly lure fish and bite indicators aren't really suited to that. :rolleyes:

:fishing:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey Dave, I've never had a great deal of success on the isle in the winter but I have taken Chub on freelined slugs at Eames Mill. Never fished Viaducts but my friend owns Thorney and I get free fishing there :D Do you have any tips for the Perch at dillington?

Thanks for the welcome Newt, lure fishing's good fun what species do you target mostly?

2eb62xv.jpg

Largemouth bass & bluegills mostly.

I do pick up an occasional catfish if I'm using a lure with lots of flash and lots of white on it which is always an exciting surprise.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey Dave, I've never had a great deal of success on the isle in the winter but I have taken Chub on freelined slugs at Eames Mill. Never fished Viaducts but my friend owns Thorney and I get free fishing there :D Do you have any tips for the Perch at dillington?

Thanks for the welcome Newt, lure fishing's good fun what species do you target mostly?

I will try the isle again soon then, now the weather is warming up. I cant really say too much about dillington, i fished there a lot but would only get may e four or five tiny roach and perch so i hardly ever go there anymore, but i can say that the perch there love a redworm, i would say it is preferred to lobworms, and my friend had a few nice perch just by loosefeeding six maggots every minute or so in one spot. I would also say you should definitely plumb the depth at dillington because in some spots it can get very very deep, especially near the pumphouse. For roach i would get some maggots in to get them feeding then switch between maggot, caster and sweetcorn and see what they want for the day. For chub try a bait by the tree by the pumphouse, maybe worm or breadpaste?? Also there are supposed to be loads and loads of eels there so if you dont want them i wouldnt use a livebait, but you might not mind.

Have you got any tips for the isle?? Where abouts did you catch your chub? I fished lobworm on the float right by the waterfally bit by the mill, havent really tried the rest of the river thlugh, supposed to be some nice pike but i have never fished for them.

And yeh, you are lucky to get free fishing at thorney, i love it there, endless roach and perch, and the carp are good too, can be a bit of a challenge sometimes though. What baits and tips do you have for thorney??

Good to have someone from the area to talk about the local waters :D

DD

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I've had Chub from all over the isle, when fishing at the mill I like to be opposite the waterfall in amongst the tank traps taken a few in the warmer months trotting a piece of breadflake on the surface too. I've never really had much success at Thorney so I don't have any tips for there you sound like you're doing better than me anyway.

Had this Perch yesterday at the pond on a spinner :D

Image0007_1_Copy.jpg

2eb62xv.jpg

Great looking fish. Must have given you some fun.