Hi there

joolz_red

Hi there, I'm Jools, a lady from Somerset/Dorset area & a returner to fishing after over 25 years away - I used to go fishing for tiddlers as a kid! - find the whole angling arena a bit daunting being female and also on a tight budget but hope to pick up some excellent advice hints & stuff from the wise sages here.

Hiya Jools and welcome to Anglers' Net.

We happen to boast some very most excellent anglers who happen to be female persons. Feel free to join any discussions that interest you and to start your own discussions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Jools

Welcome I bet it is a bit of a shock how angling as changed in last 25 years especially the price of tackle and all the commercials that are around now

Darren

There is so much more stuff now to make rigs with & different types of rods. I remember having a split cane rod, about 6ft long and that was that, even that was a handmedown (we had no spare cash when I was a kid) There were boat rods, coarse rods, poles and fly rods, choice of split cane or fibreglass, carbon fibre was so expensive only match anglers with deep pockets had them!

I remember using an empty plastic jif lemon as a sea float, and wheel nuts or old spark plugs as weights, garden worms as bait. We caught sprats & crabs (sea) and tiddlers down the river (naughty unlicensed kids!!) I remember eating a 6" perch I caught :lol:

We (my cousin & I) begged old bits of spare kit like line, hooks& floats from family friends & sometimes he'd climb trees to get snagged tackle down & we'd reuse it.

Will stop reminiscing now as I might start start talking like Ron Manager & "jumpers for goalposts..>" etc etc !

Hi Joolz, and welcome to AN from another female angler!

You'll get loads of friendly and helpful advice from the guys on here, so fire away with your questions.

Good to have you aboard! Us females are a little bit outnumbered!

Janet

Thank you very much Janet - I have 3 nieces so when they are a bit bigger I plan on getting them hooked too to increase the numbers! :mellow:

joolz - if you want some good reading, do a search on Janet's ID (hover over it and use the dropdown) and have a look at some of the topics she has started.

She has an uncanny ability with words & photos to make me feel I'm actually on the bank with her and watching.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President