big fish

biggacod

They must have thrived off your coast for many thousands to have been washed up during a cold spell that has not happend since, are you convinced that there has been no re-population then and or your climate has changed for the worse. :g:

I have talked to quite a few people who remember conger being washed up in 63 but how many there was probably a hand full and it made media news something like that years ago would have made headline news as alan said divers mistake ling for congers i think you could ankhor wrecks for months and if you are lucky you might get one i have sat on wrecks for hours during very slack tides wind against tide boat not moveing lines fishing perfect into the the wreck the bottom line is ithe water here is to cold to the north of here to gulf stream has influence to the south its a lot more shallow and the water warms a lot more in summer thats why here with the water being that bit colder we have such a good cod population here more or less constantly the water temeprature detures we had a massive pipefish explosion 7 or 8 years ago which lasted for 4 or 5 years then we have had 2 cold winters they have but dissapeared again warm winters on the trot gave them perfect conditions they obviously dont thrive when the water is cold and it just the same for conger thay dont like it either thats why you dont see them from the boat or from the shore just a fluk once in a blue moon.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must have thrived off your coast for many thousands to have been washed up during a cold spell that has not happend since, are you convinced that there has been no re-population then and or your climate has changed for the worse. :g:

Not necessarily Barry. No one knows where the congers died. It could have been 100's of miles away and not off our coast. There was a very cold spell at the time which could just be coincidence. Some very big ones are washed up along our coastline occasionally - but who is to say where they died?

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Love this argument. :D First it's loads that died, thousands, hundreds, now possibly a handfull. Then it's the cold that killed or makes them unviable to live off the north east coast. Or is it the inclement climate. Now it could be that they have been washed up from somewhere else as none may have lived up there in any event. Best time for conger is during the tide run, thats when we find the real ones come out to play compared with the straps. So i suppose you could sit it out, tell me what do you actually target on the slack? We target sandwiches and cups of tea or pout. :D

Got any decent ling wrecks up there, if so you could fish for them through a full tide. Give it a try one day. :)

So it's the water tempreature then? If so do you not have wrecks in shallow water that has warmed up during the summer to try, or are you saying that the water is a lot colder, full stop.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Love this argument. :D First it's loads that died, thousands, hundreds, now possibly a handfull. Then it's the cold that killed or makes them unviable to live off the north east coast. Or is it the inclement climate. Now it could be that they have been washed up from somewhere else as none may have lived up there in any event. Best time for conger is during the tide run, thats when we find the real ones come out to play compared with the straps. So i suppose you could sit it out, tell me what do you actually target on the slack? We target sandwiches and cups of tea or pout. :D

Got any decent ling wrecks up there, if so you could fish for them through a full tide. Give it a try one day. :)

So it's the water tempreature then? If so do you not have wrecks in shallow water that has warmed up during the summer to try, or are you saying that the water is a lot colder, full stop.

hi barry most the big ling come from the ground at hartlepool,the wrecks fish as well ,i have had a few strap conger of the tyne,if we target them you would get them on the wrecks ,as alan says the boys have ther cod goggles on

It amazes me how anglers (and party boat skippers) seam to love small tides and slack water. Simply because the boats aren’t designed to cast up into the tide and they have never perfected anchoring up on wreck and putting your bait into that wreck with a good tide going. Light boats with a bit of wind and tide running and its game over for the angler who cannot get to the bottom because he cannot cast down drift etc.

Why any body would want to sit over a wreck with 10 or 12 jiggers banging up and down on top of it is beyond me.

Now is anybody going to tell us what this ling and Pollock actually weighed.

hi barry most the big ling come from the ground at hartlepool,the wrecks fish as well ,i have had a few strap conger of the tyne,if we target them you would get them on the wrecks ,as alan says the boys have ther cod goggles on

Evenin biggacod :D

Do you anchor the wrecks at all and fish in the tide?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Allright Barry

As you've guessed theres no boats up here that currntly fish at anchor for conger but things are changing as more and more anglers are prepared to try something different

You can't keep yarping on about charter boats fishing for cod because thats what the majority of anglers want so the skippers have to deliver, its a bitof a catch 22 situation because the area has such a od heratige it attracts anglers from all over the Uk who want to catch cod , so just about every charter boat skipper aims for cod, after all if they did'nt they'd soon go bust losing their boat and income

There are some boats who I do think will pioneer conger fishing in this area but for the short term I think the majority of those will be privately owned vessels who don't have to dance to the tune of the paying customer and when anglers from up here visit those successful south coast conger venues then the demand for conger trips up here will increase, its already happening now allbeit slowly but there are anglers prepared to pay for something different without neccesarily going home with a bootful of fish

I believe there are conger up here and my belief is they're here in numbers that most folk would not believe, there are many strap conger caught on ground when drifting and our local potters get a fair number each summer in their lobster pots. The keel boat fleet when it was fully operational and numerous used to catch a fair few very large conger in their rock hopping trawls when they were towing at a higher rate of knots. There was someone who used to set conger pots on the rocks here in Redcar and used to get them when left overnight with fresh mackeral in, theres a fair few smaller ones in the rocks of our breakwater and the challenge is to get them out

The big question is though , where do they come from if theres non here?

My honestly held belief is they are here and it won't be long before someone sets out to catch them and does very well with it, to kick start it would'nt take much as the interest is there but what we don't have is the knowledge and expertise that exists further South but watch this space as they say

:clap::clap3::clap3:

Cheers Brian.

Brilliant a semi admission that there might be something decent off your coast. I was getting somewhat resigned to the fact that anything over say thirty pound would be classed as big cod say's a fluke.

Now be fair Brian, if you look at catch records you will see that the south also does well on the white fish, or do you wish me to provide some links. and or foto's for refreshment. It's not exclusive to the north :)

Turnaround the argument regarding cod is what the fare paying want. Ask if they seriously would turn their noses up getting a decent fish as opposed to spending all their angling life chacing the codling with the opportunity to catch a double figure one now and again. Yes i know there will be howls that there's lots of cod to be caught. However i feel it is rather sad that a lot of anglers will know no different and are never given the chance, that is a shame. Anyone who fancies a crack at exactly what i'm talking about, will be more than welcome. :D

Now looking forward to biggacod's expansion on his post. Tell us about these big ling then Biggacod, can't wait. :D

:clap::clap3::clap3:

Cheers Brian.

Brilliant a semi admission that there might be something decent off your coast. I was getting somewhat resigned to the fact that anything over say thirty pound would be classed as big cod say's a fluke.

Now be fair Brian, if you look at catch records you will see that the south also does well on the white fish, or do you wish me to provide some links. and or foto's for refreshment. It's not exclusive to the north :)

Turnaround the argument regarding cod is what the fare paying want. Ask if they seriously would turn their noses up getting a decent fish as opposed to spending all their angling life chacing the codling with the opportunity to catch a double figure one now and again. Yes i know there will be howls that there's lots of cod to be caught. However i feel it is rather sad that a lot of anglers will know no different and are never given the chance, that is a shame. Anyone who fancies a crack at exactly what i'm talking about, will be more than welcome. :D

Now looking forward to biggacod's expansion on his post. Tell us about these big ling then Biggacod, can't wait. :D

If your so convinved barry get yourself up here less talking and more action and lets see the outcome you seem to know so much about our coast lets just see if you can fluk one the late john uttley (tutt) as he was know by had the charterboat north star for many years i worked with john in the 80ss before he actually purchased north star off the guy he was running it for before he actually took the plunge and did his skipers ticket john fished for the england boat team and as he told me fished the south coast on many occasions for conger and yes he was in the same mind when he came here there must be conger on the wrecks in numbers john ankhored plenty of wrecks in the summer and didnt manged not even a strap conger. :yawn:

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

If your so convinved barry get yourself up here less talking and more action and lets see the outcome you seem to know so much about our coast lets just see if you can fluk the late john uttley (tutt) as he was know by had the charterboat north star for many years i worked with john in the 80ss before he actually purchased north star off the guy he was running it for before he actually took the plunge and did his skipers ticket john fished for the england boat team and as he told me fished the south coast on many occasions for conger and yes he was in the same mind when he came here there must be conger on the wrecks john ankhored plenty of wrecks in the summer and didnt manged not even a strap conger.

paul.

Sorry to hear that, did he not get any decent ling then?

Spent a time with the late John Brennan discussing the very thing, that was one of the the reasons he bought his next boat,to do the very thing you concider to be worthless. unfortunatly he had an untimely demise as i would have been there previously make no mistake about that. Yes i would certainly give it a go no problem.

Answer me another, i have seen previously captures of very large ling offshore where you are, have they been fished out or are they not targeted. When John Brennan had cheiften he advertised big ling trips, as well as the cod, that is what first drew my attention and also John's interest in me. He certainly realised the possibilities.