Tackle Jackels Are Back!

Guest waterman1013

Guest waterman1013

I heard this morning that four blokes are visiting both Farlows and Bowmans and taking tackle off lone anglers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Mike

Guest Nosher

I fished Bowmans last week. There was a notice on the board warning people night fishing of the presence of tackle thieves..

Guest Dave B

It's been going on for ages. I had £320-worth of marker rod and reel nicked three years ago at Farlows - *******.

Guest BivvyUp

If Tristian (Boyers Head Bailiff) catches the gits then they won't be nicking anyone elses gear!! I will find out for definate on Saturday direct from Tristian

Guest RobStubbs

Mike,

Farlows has always had tackle thieves and has always been a fairly 'uncomfortable' place to fish. Nice water and fish but almost everything else about the place isn't nice (unless it's radically altered in the last few years).

As for Bowmans, if it's the Bowmans I'm thinking of (Ben Tuckers water) then it's a registered SVC infected site. I wouldn't go near the place.

Rob.

Guest Nosher

Err.... I might be being a bit thick here but what is SVC?

Originally posted by RobStubbs:

Mike,

Farlows has always had tackle thieves and has always been a fairly 'uncomfortable' place to fish.  Nice water and fish but almost everything else about the place isn't nice (unless it's radically altered in the last few years).

As for Bowmans, if it's the Bowmans I'm thinking of (Ben Tuckers water) then it's a registered SVC infected site.  I wouldn't go near the place.

Rob.

Guest Badger

Nosher,

SVC as far as i am aware is a nasty disease that can spread from water to water on anglers nets and unhooking mats etc. You may have seen and some good fisheries tubs of liquid and signs asking anglers to dip their nets etc before and after fishing. This kills the virus that can cause the disease and so prevents the spread of it. The reason that people suggest staying away from waters infected with SVC is that you don't want to run the risk of infecting your favourite club water with the disease for the sake of a few doubles from an over stocked pond. From experience i wouldnt fish Bowmans even if it wasnt infected. It has to be one of the ugliest fisheries i have been to, thats just my opinion though.

Hope that helps, sorry i dont know more about the actual disease itself though.

Dave.

Guest waterman1013

SVC - Spring Viremia of Carp, is probably a catchall name for a spring related carp syndrome, where the fish exhibit reddish colouration to the flanks, come to the surface and die! Dips can work but nets. mats etc need to be immersed for about twenty minutes for the dip to be effective. Proper air drying of all equipment is the best answer if you must fish waters which carry the bug. This should include lines and rigs as well as nets, mats and sacks. Best avoided at all costs is any water where SVC is declared or rumoured.

Yes Bowmans was declared last season just after Ben had put in another load of fish. I was just passing on some info someone had phoned into me so that anyone on this site who fishes there could be warned. I once went to have a look at the lakes but the reception in the shop was so rude I didn't bother. It looked B****y Awful from outside the fence, windswept and cold, with no features. If that's what you want from fishing ice fishing the Barrants sea would be more attractive.

Anyway four nasty guys are beating up on anglers with hammers and nicking their gear is what is on the grapevine, so if you go, be prepared.

Mike

Guest RobStubbs

Mike,

Without arguing over technicalities (me argue ? <g> ) SVC is a specific disease caused by a single virus - last I heard. MAFF fish diseases laboratories actively culture the virus from tissue preparations so where SVC is declared it really is this virus. I seem to remember the process takes a couple of weeks hence the delay in finding dead or dying fish and attributing a cause.

I'm sure there is a separate 'spring carp mortality syndrome' that was possibly attributed to some other cause. I also recall the EA were researching this and the final report was due 2Q 2000.

Rob.

<snip>

>>SVC - Spring Viremia of Carp, is probably a catchall name for a spring related carp syndrome, where the fish exhibit reddish colouration to the flanks, come to the surface and die!>>