Dodgy Lures

Guest Dave B

Guest Dave B

I was involved in a rather interesting conversation with a French

jellyworm/shad manufacturer yesterday.

He told me that the French government

is going to pass a law that bans all artificial baits and lures that are

non biodegradable.

Apparently, most shads, jellyworms and other latex lures contain high levels of toxic chemicals!

The particular company in question that I spoke with is already making 'safe' lures that degrade over a few years (rather like those biodegradable plastic shopping bags.)

I wonder if this legislation will wing its way over here?? - Bad news for shops and anglers alike if it does.

Will keep you informed.

Dave Barham, TSF Magazine.

Thats all we need!

Built in obsolescense in the fishing industry. That will be a green card to manufacturers to extract even more regular and larger amounts of hard erned wonga from our back pockets. Take this to its conclusion and you get biodegradable line, rods, bivvies and god knows what else. (gut response with shades of Paisleyite ranting! biggrin.gif)

IanG

Guest oliver g

how about bio degradable groundbait bags theres no shortage of these knocking about in the contryside these days!!!come to think,there are endless possibilitys,on the other hand folks could take it home,god forbid!!!!

------------------

oli

Guest waterman1013

Now come along Ollie, the kind "thinking" anglers who leave their ground bait bags behind "think" some one else will clear it up, "think" it can do no harm to livestock or wild life and presumably "think" that the dustcart will collect theri rubbish from the lake or river the way they do at home.

The problem is that angling is inundated with fishers who seem almost incapable of "thinking". I think they should be shot for desecration of the countryside.

Mike

Guest RobStubbs

Mike,

These things always amaze me. How come probably every club states it'll ban anglers leaving litter (or even with litter in their swims) ? I've never heard of anyone being banned and there is still tons of litter on many waters. My local club foolishly has/had rubbish bins which seem like a magnet to all the local rubbish. The bins will hold one small bag of rubbish and are emptied only infrequently so you can imagine the scenario - a rats picnic !

Rob.

P.S. Asking a French friend if he has heard about this new rule.

Guest waterman1013

Rob

We have such a rule and no litter problem, although if we leave containers outside the clubhouse they get filled faster than you can say carp. smile.gif

Because the lake side is mostly clean most members respect it and those that don't don't stay.

Mike

Guest chicken jimmer

In my experience, the majority of rubbish is left by non-anglers, the main culprit being those who come to feed the birds, and then leave their bread bags behind. Of course, its all too easy to blame the anglers.....but what can we do?

At Coxes Lock, we end picking up most the rubbish around us, even though its not ours - perhaps if we all did this, people would realise its not the anglers, and that most of us actually care.

chicken jimmer

Guest Jonty

I currently hold memberships to two clubs - one is a small local club, which has a couple of lakes and a short piece of river which it owns, plus a canal length (rented) and another two small lakes which are also rented (from the County Council - open access to all !!)

The other club is one of, if not THE (debatable point,this) largest in the country. It OWNS enormous amounts of water, still and running, and rents even more.

If I go onto the small club's showpiece water, which is one of the lakes it owns, I can almost GUARANTEE to find a carrier bag there into which I can then put all the other rubbish I find at the venue - in contrast, I have yet to find any noticeable amount of litter on those of the larger club's waters which I have so far visited - except, that is, for flood-borne garbage on the Rivers Dove and Severn - and that can have come from anywhere.

BOTH clubs have the infamous `leave litter, or be found with litter in your peg, and you are banned` ruling - one enforces it, the other does not.

As with all rules and restrictions, if no-one is going to ensure that they are enforced, why on earth bother to impose them in the first place ?? - the small club even has somewhat of a reputation for `bans but no enforcement`.

But having said that, how many times have YOU been asked to reel-in, in order that a bailiff may check that you are using barbless hooks, non-toxic weights, etc.??

Not many, I'll bet, no matter where you fish or which clubs you belong to.

Guest RobStubbs

>>But having said that, how many times have YOU been asked to reel-in, in order that a bailiff may check that you are using barbless hooks, non-toxic weights, etc.??

Not many, I'll bet, no matter where you fish or which clubs you belong to.>>

Jonty,

I once had to reel in a rod at a carp syndicate but I've never experienced it anywhere else. But that said that's about as often as I've had my license checked by the EA.

Rob.

Guest Wordbender

With regard to the litter thing - and sorry to Dave, whose original topic seems to have been hi-jacked - this is one of my pet subjects, about which I'm frequently moved to bouts of neck-snapping rage.

I, too, fish Coxes Lock and love the venue dearly, but the pleasure of fishing there seems forever tainted with the knowledge that others use the place to dump crap - and in the case of the majority of dog walkers, I'm talking literally. These ignorant scumbags (see, I'm getting wound up again) trundle out from their homely semis, with the express purpose of allowing their pets to dump on the footpaths and swims of Coxes Lock Millpond.

As a dogshit counter-measure, the Environment Agency has launched a stinging frontal assault in the form of a series of twee notices, depicting cartoon doggies despoiling the landscape - and staggeringly ineffective they were, too. Then, there's a resident E.A. warden who does his best to look like a litter deterrent, but sadly lacks both the persona and the UZI he requires to sort out the mobile crap dispensors currently afflicting our beloved Millpond.

As a purely practical measure, I once piloted my own pooper-scooper around the perimeter pathways and collected a Sainsbury's carrier-bagful of pure houndshit in less than 20 minutes. Charming, or what?

I've had the occasional ruck with the morons who empty their dogs on the fishery, but most of these owners are girlies and my Victorian sensibilities preclude my grabbing a member of the fairer sex by the tonsils and planting the nut at warp four, sort of thing.

Ironically, one of my favourite writing contracts is for a doggie magazine, and I'm as enthusiastic a dog owner as anyone, but it's obvious that the zoids who turn the Millpond into a turd-fest, shouldn't own a balloon on a stick, never mind a bloody dog.

Now add the litter, angler and non-angler donated, and perhaps you can see why my usually lamb-like temperament is pushed to spine-crushing point and beyond.

Apart from the above, on the subject of litter - I guess I'm a neutral. :-)