Pike Tippet

Leon Roskilly

Flies are tied light and sparse with plenty of movement.

A common theme methinks!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

A common theme methinks!

I think :)

How do you feel about eyes on the fly?

I always used to apply eyes but ran out when I was tying some up and TBH it didn't seem to make any difference so now I don't bother although I still read articles by respected pike fly tyers who say that eyes are an absolute requirement.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I think :)

How do you feel about eyes on the fly?

I always used to apply eyes but ran out when I was tying some up and TBH it didn't seem to make any difference so now I don't bother although I still read articles by respected pike fly tyers who say that eyes are an absolute requirement.

Sometimes I paint them on, sometimes I don't. In my view the biggest attractant to the fish is a commotion in the water!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

What size singles do you tie your pike flies on?

Just wondering, I've got some size 2 clousers I tied up for my holiday in Cornwall but never used because of the weather. Thinking I might have a dabble with them in freshwater at some point if I don't get to chuck them in the sea soon.

clousers007.jpg

clousers006.jpg

clousers008.jpg

Just wondering, I've got some size 2 clousers I tied up for my holiday in Cornwall but never used because of the weather. Thinking I might have a dabble with them in freshwater at some point if I don't get to chuck them in the sea soon.

clousers007.jpg

clousers006.jpg

clousers008.jpg

The style's spot on Steve. Personally I use quite large hooks e.g 2/0 as I feel that the strength of the hook is more important than finesse but, having said that, I've caught many jacks on size 12s when fishing for other fish! Give'em a go!

clousers007.jpg

clousers006.jpg

clousers008.jpg

Steve i don`t bother much for them on the fly in the winter as the Thames is usually a raging torrent or if not freezing cold clear water either of which are not conducive to Pike chasing down lures/flies ,But i am sure we could have a go from the boat next season at some point...the sport in the weir pools can be very hectic then even if the average size aint great .

Sinking line + floating pike fly striped and stopped stripped and stopped back over the gravel bar at the back of the pools produces stomach churning hits that you usually see happen....it don`t get much better than that ... we will sort a day .

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I make my own tapered leader from a stiff nylon called Tynex,The point is 15lb and to this I attach an 18" length of Wonder wire.I either use an Albright knot or join them with a small metal leader ring.On the end of the wire is a small snap link.

I dont worry that much about the wire or the ring affecting turnover as its all a bit of a splashy affair with an 8" Dahlberg Diver on the end!

Modern synthetic materials can be used to tie big flies that give the "illusion" of size without weight.They also shed water nigh on instantly.I only use an AFTM8 rated rod and have never had any problems. Think I put up some "how to" fly tying sequences only a short while ago on AN for Pike flies?

Dave Im a lover of big eyes on pike flies but you may be right!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!