Best all round carp line

kirki007

Being back on the scene after a loooooong lay off Im gathering kit etc. I would like to ask fellow members opinion on what line I should get for my reels. Im thinking 12lb/15lb but which one ?? Im not a proper gear tart so nothing flash, just a good all round line at a reasonable (ebay type!!) price. Im not after braid. I`ll be fishing for carp up to 30lb, hooklinks will be snake skin

Any ideas??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am personly the same as you im not a fishermen with the best gera but mines the naverage sort. i use S.A.S camo line it has 4 different colour patterns on it and i use 12lb line dont have to buy just saying what i use for advice :P

tight lines

mike

mike finlay the carpinator

Daiwa Sensor is probably your best all-round option for performance and value.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Daiwa Sensor is probably your best all-round option for performance and value.

Amen to that. By the way, how come the previous post is quoted, even if you alter the quote box to show the negative?

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Daiwa Sensor and Big Game are both good inexpensive lines that won't let you down. On many waters they'd be a very good choice.

However if you're likely to be fishing weedy or snaggy waters, or ones with gravel bars I'd look at more abrasion-resistant lines even if they are a little more expensive. They may even save you money as you're less likely to get cut off. They're also less likely to leave a fish trailing line and a hook.

My choice of such lines is Gold Label ProGold. For my field test see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ws/progold.html

Jim Gibbinson did a series of bench tests for Carpworld a while back. A short summary of these can be found here on Angler's Net at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...mono_facts.html

Finally, always make sure you buy fresh line as it deteriorates over time. For this reason I wouldn't buy line on eBay as you've no idea how old it is. Rather I'd buy from a tackle shop with a fast turnover.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Many thanks all. Big game or Sensor it is. I seem to remember I used something called proGold all those years ago and it was excellent.

Pro-gold is still about - I think that's a Berkely line (?)

Rob.

Pro-gold is still about - I think that's a Berkely line (?)

Rob.

See my post above. Pro Gold is a Japanese line distributed by Terry Eustace and his son Rob at Gold Label. They used to distribute Berkley lines (that are made in the US), but when they lost the rights they turned to Japan.

Terry marketed Big Game on its abrasion resistance, that at the time was possibly better than any other mono. However, it's since been surpassed for abrasion resistance by other more modern lines.

As I said above though it's very good value for money.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net