The CA and Angling.

Peter Waller

Lee, only time will tell my friend. IF the C.A. continues after the overdue ban on fox hunting I will be pleasently surprised. IF it continues then I personally will rethink my stance, although I have strong reservations. There are those involved with the CA, Persimmon Homes for example, who, if you see how they are carving up my home town, appear to have only one agenda, and its not conservation.

Yes, I would join hands with those who shoot and ride, but I have my doubts that it would be under the banner of the CA.

Is it a party political thing, the 'haves' against the 'have nots'? No, I don't think so. Two Jags might well leap up and say he is voting to ban fox hunting because it is a Tory thing, and in that case you are probably right. But for ordinary, right thinking people, such as Martin Salter M.P., and tens of thousands of every day folk, fox hunting is barbaric, the attitudes that surround it, repulsive.

Lee, do you support Bull Fighting or Bear Baiting? Personally I put Fox hunting in the same catagory. It is a moral judgement on my behalf, NOT a political one, nor a social one.

However, that was not the purpose of this thread. Such opinions have been discussed, in depth, in the past.

My concern is that in allying ourselves with the CA that we are simply leaving ourselves open to comparison with a body, Fox Hunting, that a majority find repugnant. If we are linked to them then we could so easily be dragged down with them.

Where does the NAA, RSSG and the SAA stand on this one?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Lee, do you support Bull Fighting or Bear Baiting? Personally I put Fox hunting in the same catagory.

And that, Peter, is exactly what the likes of PETA do with angling! :rolleyes:

Tight lines,

Elton - happy to agree to differ, btw :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Dear David,

Is Mr Burge a wealthy landowner? Or in the knitting club?

Dear Peter,

Do I support bull fighting or bear baiting?

Well Peter, I have never attended either event as there are'nt any around my rural home or in the Nottingham homeland of my birth.

But to answer your question honestly;

When I have been in Spain on holiday, I have never wanted to attend bull fighting events. Why? Because they dont interest me in the slightest. Am I against bull fighting morally? To tell you the truth Peter, I dont think about it. Perhaps its because I tend to think about things mostly closer to home or location of the nearest bar whilst on holiday. True Brit I'm afraid whilst overseas.

Bear baiting? I dont think about that one either. Do they still do that anywhere in the world? And if they do practice this in certain parts, are the human inhabitants treated any better? I ask this question Peter because I imagine bear baiting to be carried out in despot type countries. You know, the sort of regime that places objectors to anything before a firing squad.

Where does the RSSG stand on this one? The CA that is.

Well, in truth, the RSSG joining the CA has never been an issue within the RSSG committee or within the RSSG environmental/conservation committee that deals with political issues. So what I will do to go towards answering your question Peter is to forecast RSSG opinion OK.

Lyn Hurst, a RSSG committee member is openly supportive of the work that the CA do. The other committee members have not expressed an opinion to me one way or the other concerning the CA.

If put to a vote within the RSSG membership whether to join the CA or not, I am confident that any such vote would be AGAINST joining. Furthermore, I doubt seriously if any such vote would be called for. Why? Because we believe that angling is big enough to look after itself. Once anglers wake up that is.

My personal opinion on the CA is that they seem to do a good job for their own members but I wont be joining myself because they represent things that I have little or no interest in. Even so, I am not anti-CA and take the view that they are merely another organisation looking after its own members interests.

But even if I were personally supportive of the CA, my personal opinion would not be used to influence others within the RSSG because that would be wrong in the circumstances. Indeed, although Lyn is supportive of the CA, she has not once tried to influence others within the RSSG committee regarding CA.

Although I am the SAA Rivers Coordinator as well as RSSG General Secretary, I have no remit to speak on the SAA's behalf concerning the CA. But if I had, you could depend that I would speak openly and honestly concerning the issue.

Perhaps David Bird, the new SAA chairman would like to enlighten all here as to the SAA's stance on all things CA?

Regards,

Lee.

As in most things, time will tell!

Although not on your commitee Lee, I am also very supportive of the CA, and not at all afraid to say so!

Can we forget (for the moment) all the barbaric practises that USED to occur in foxhunting, can we also (for the moment) forget how so many xmas cards used to carry pictures of "The Hunt"

Now it wont affect me one tiny bit if foxhunting goes, but what next? Pheasant breeding for the shooter?

Breeding trout for put and take fisheries?

These are practises that are also the concern of the CA, and if they are threatened then the CA will put up a real fight.

Personally I would not blame the CA if they told angling to sort their own house out, something that we are totally incapable of doing.

I am not going to ask why we cant, I will tell you why we cant...Since moving to rural Kent I have come to meet many ordinary coarse anglers, none of who have heard of Anglersnet, but almost to a man they want cheap fishing, good fishing yes, but it must be cheap.

The carp anglers are gradually taking over almost every bit of water and the ordinary guy is getting pushed out.

Try asking these guys to pay out for some distant group with out them seeing something in return pretty quickly.

It seems to be almost the norm on AN for posters to knock the existence of carp puddles and commercial fisheries, but without them at least half the people now fishing would give up within a couple of years.The owners of these are the sort of people that the CA represents

What I would like to see is the CA targetting anglers in a big way, offering them membership with the assurance that they will fight their battles.

Before any of you ask what I have done I will admit very little I have never been aware that angling was under threat until quite recently. I am too old to start chasing around the country going to meetings and also I suppose probably not committed enough, but I have joined the RSSG and the CA and if I can get there and back the same day, and go with a crowd of others on a coach, then I will be On The March.

Just remember this..foxhunting has got nothing to do with angling, but at least the foxhunters claimed to do it in the name of pest control, where is your defense for angling?

Den

We are

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

As a famous American baseball player Yogi Barra would say, "de ja vu all over again.

Is there a law in the UK against beating a "dead horse"

I doubt if those of you interested in the politic of angling in the UK and, on this forum don't already know each others position(s).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the reading and your commiseration amongst one another. It's just that nothing has changed to the good of either side since 20 April 2000!

Phone

Huge difference in fox hunting and dog fights.

With the dog fights, you can do the whole thing indoors without needing a horse and it is lots easier to get a bet down as well.

But what in the world does that have to do with the CA & Angling?

[ 08. August 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Peter Waller:

Exactly Newt, so why does the CA/Fox hunting lobby insist on trying to drag Anglers down to their level?

Peter - the only thing I know for sure about UK politics is that I don't understand a thing about Uk politics. And that applies double to anything dealing with angling or hunting. :D:D
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President