Petition to save coastguard stations

seafoods

This a one lad who knows what he talking about the same subject on whitby sea anglers forum........

paul

Hi again Paul

I have to say that the claim in your post and that on the Whitby forum are incarcerate, if there is no new equipment what is Digital Selective Calling (DSC) that was not around in the seventies and Jaffa to suggest not changing over to a more superior system is not impo a very good idea. Not only is it better, it is also compatible with what is being introduced in other services like for example the navy who help with helicopter support.

The local knowledge is also a red hearing first do you know what percentage of Coast Guard operatives par say in the Falmouth centre are local?

The thing to take into account is that the new computer system in the new centers will have every bit of local info written into the soft ware, a bit like a special coast guard google.

You guys should stop worrying the long overdue changes are coming so rather than resist them why not get involved and see that every concern is looked at and remember it will be tried and tested before being put into operation.

The UK is one of the world leaders in this kind of technology so not only will it be good for the MCA but might just provide more jobs than those that will be lost because of the changes and I refer to exporting the equipment.

Tight Lines Bob

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again Paul

I have to say that the claim in your post and that on the Whitby forum are incarcerate, if there is no new equipment what is Digital Selective Calling (DSC) that was not around in the seventies and Jaffa to suggest not changing over to a more superior system is not impo a very good idea. Not only is it better, it is also compatible with what is being introduced in other services like for example the navy who help with helicopter support.

The local knowledge is also a red hearing first do you know what percentage of Coast Guard operatives par say in the Falmouth centre are local?

The thing to take into account is that the new computer system in the new centers will have every bit of local info written into the soft ware, a bit like a special coast guard google.

You guys should stop worrying the long overdue changes are coming so rather than resist them why not get involved and see that every concern is looked at and remember it will be tried and tested before being put into operation.

The UK is one of the world leaders in this kind of technology so not only will it be good for the MCA but might just provide more jobs than those that will be lost because of the changes and I refer to exporting the equipment.

Tight Lines Bob

The infrastructure for DSC is already in place, so that knocks that one out the window. In any event DSC will only ever account for a small percentage of calls.

I'm intrigued as to where your insider knowledge stems from re this whizzy bit of all singing, all dancing miracle software that you place great faith in?

Given that the highest number of calls to MCGA are likely to be via mobile phone, how will this whizzy software deal with that?

The proposal is to provide a similar or better service with a 50% reduction in staff, that is nonsensical. Put simply, it is an attack on our already overstretched emergency services.

Davey I would refer you back to post 16 from Wurzel who was replying to seafoods.

Quote >>> 'At the end of the day it's technical creep and the down side of technical creep is jobs will be lost, it happens in all walks of life always has and always will.

30 years ago there was a manned coast guard station about every 25 miles along the coast now with modern technology they are 70 or 80 miles apart some further, so what will change if they are 200 miles apart?

Perhaps you could explain or give an example as a coast guard where a problem might arise.

Now Dave whilst you and I often do not see eye to eye, I have always respected your knowledge particularly when it comes to technical stuff, your up to speed in that department so why are you so anti this idea. Machines have always been replacing man that is a fact of life, not nice for the poor souls affected but that sadly is the price of progress.

Worth noting that the idea is far from new John Prescott put it up ten years ago add the advances made since then and we might have a very good modern up to date system it has to be worth exploring surely?

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Davey I would refer you back to post 16 from Wurzel who was replying to seafoods.

Quote >>> 'At the end of the day it's technical creep and the down side of technical creep is jobs will be lost, it happens in all walks of life always has and always will.

30 years ago there was a manned coast guard station about every 25 miles along the coast now with modern technology they are 70 or 80 miles apart some further, so what will change if they are 200 miles apart?

Perhaps you could explain or give an example as a coast guard where a problem might arise.

Now Dave whilst you and I often do not see eye to eye, I have always respected your knowledge particularly when it comes to technical stuff, your up to speed in that department so why are you so anti this idea. Machines have always been replacing man that is a fact of life, not nice for the poor souls affected but that sadly is the price of progress.

Worth noting that the idea is far from new John Prescott put it up ten years ago add the advances made since then and we might have a very good modern up to date system it has to be worth exploring surely?

Having read the consultation document twice now, I'm very interested to learn about this software that you talk about which apparently makes the local knowledge issue a "red herring"? Is this something you have direct knowledge about or something that you simply imagine will be the case?

There are no technological developments that aren't already in place with the existing service. It is a sham to try and sell the axing of 50% of the workforce to the gullible. The difference between what Prescot did and what is being proposed here is massive. Prescot targeted a handful of stations and even then backed down (as his proposals were quite rightly seen as unpopular by the opposition Tory party). There were no losses of jobs. This is wholesale carnage that will cost lives to save a few government coffers.

As Paul touches on, it is approaching the emergency services with a call centre mentality.

Maybe you can point me towards some positive views that are being reported about these proposed cuts or even some hard facts on how apparent technological developments justify axing 50% of the workforce?

There are no technological developments that aren't already in place with the existing service. It is a sham to try and sell the axing of 50% of the workforce to the gullible.

.Maybe you can point me towards some positive views that are being reported about these proposed cuts or even some hard facts on how apparent technological developments justify axing 50% of the workforce?

You are correct Davey, Bob read on the MCA website that the existing technology is from the 1970's and is outdated, so he has adopted that as his mantra. Strange how sometimes folk will swallow what a government department says without questioning it and other times not believe a word that comes out of a government department.

The existing MCA system can have a three way conversation between a mobile phone, a vhf radio and a landline - with even the vhf part silent to others. I'm not a techie but I don't think that type of technology was available to them in the 70's - somebody is being economical with the truth.

As for all the local stuff being put on the MCA system before it is 'tested', that is a figment of Bob's imagination - even the MCA PR machine hasn't come up with that one.

You are correct Davey, Bob read on the MCA website that the existing technology is from the 1970's and is outdated, so he has adopted that as his mantra. Strange how sometimes folk will swallow what a government department says without questioning it and other times not believe a word that comes out of a government department.

The existing MCA system can have a three way conversation between a mobile phone, a vhf radio and a landline - with even the vhf part silent to others. I'm not a techie but I don't think that type of technology was available to them in the 70's - somebody is being economical with the truth.

As for all the local stuff being put on the MCA system before it is 'tested', that is a figment of Bob's imagination - even the MCA PR machine hasn't come up with that one.

This imaginary software has the same ring of truth to it like some imaginary website ;)

All fantasy.

This imaginary software has the same ring of truth to it like some imaginary website ;)

All fantasy.

Another wee job for the clever software, a mate was asking how many watchkeepers in the super MRCC's in Aberdeen and Solent will speak Welsh, same applies to the Gaelic really. Hope Aberdeen doesn't have 'technical issues', not too sure how many Doric speakers will be based at Solent or Dover (if they decide to keep it 24 hrs, it may be only Aberdeen and Solent)

Both the local rags whitby and scarborough are running an articel on the coastguard cuts they smell blood and are in agreement about our own mp takeing the wrong stance on the issue and think its wrong on area of coastline like we have here in yorkshire he should be fighting tooth and nail to save them i think he is going to fell a little bit uncomfortuble.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello seafoods

You have just confirmed what Bob was saying, technology has moved on.

Given an accurate position and a list of reverent contact information I recon by googling earth even I could instigate a pretty effective rescue any where in the world let alone the UK from my home using a family computer and the house phone.

The hard fact is that if you had 50% of your work force sitting around bored silly for 90% of their time and the same out put could be achieved with the remaining workforce you would be looking to cut costs. Why should the MCA not be run like any other private business? It's a sad and some times emotive fact of life and you are right to question aspects of any issues involved in any changes.

I fish to live and live to fish.