fish in Portugal

Guest gordon

Guest gordon

In the winter I spend some time in Portugal fishing mainly for carp and barbel. I frequently come across a small fish called in Portugese an "escalo" This fish is similar to a chub in appearance but only grows to about 6 inches in length. The fins are reddish including the tail(the chub's is black) and the body round, tapering away quite quickly towards the tail.I have looked in a number of reference books but it not in any of them.Could anyone tell me what it is?

many thanks

Gordon

------------------

gordon

Hi Gordon,

I hope I can help, but I must admit, I do not know portugese. I have researched many fish over in Europe, and the description sounds very like a fish called the "Nase", I know it can be found in rivers in Spain and south-west france, but I'm not sure about portugal? It does seem to fit your description. Again i'm not sure, but it may be a ?

Jase

Having lived and fished in France and Spain for a number of years, i'd agree with the nase ID. I believe there have been some in the UK...

One question though...did it have quite a pointed 'snout'? If so sounds like a nase (as in nasal)

Huge barbel on the continent you lucky bugger